Just wanted to say hi, but this has been a hassle! (1 Viewer)

Great work,John. Looking forward to this weekends Indy coverage. What I would like to see is some more interviews with people other than on John Force's team.

John, Welcome aboard and I know that I am probably going to catch some flack for this but I would at least like to know who won the alcohol classes at the end of the pro broadcast cause I dont always get to see the sportsman show. I know us fanatics would still watch the sportman show even if we knew who won.

Hi John
Very nice to have you here. I always enjoyed your work. I appreciate you looking for input.

There are already a lot of great ideas that I would like to see. However I would like to see some of the little details that make drag racing better :D ... um ... I mean "different" than NASCAR. Information that a typical NASCAR fan or ANY "non" NHRA fan for that matter may not realize. I'm not slamming NASCAR but rather trying to focus on bringing in NEW fans that may not understand what they're missing. Things like decibel readings of 2 fuel cars in comparison to the start of a NASCAR race. The horsepower issue was already mentioned. How about a NASCAR vs Pro Stock run. Again just trying to give a simple perspective for people to see the difference and hopefully peak their interest.

As a reporter, I've discovered this is a great resource for information and ideas, so John I'm happy to see you persist. The payoff should be worth it.

I did a story as an advance on the Seattle race (I work for a little twice-weekly community newspaper that covers the burbs near Pacific Raceways) on Nicky Morse, the team chef for Jeg Coughlin, Jr. (cooks for Dave Connolly and his guys, too) and I tell you the guy is pretty cool. Besides, who doesn't love food? Heh. I've got a link around here somewhere if you're interested.

During the qualifying coverage at Reading I got to wondering about Hot Rod's (left?) knee ... didn't he tear a ligament or something earlier this year? Isn't he supposed to have surgery after the season?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this weekend's coverage. It's about the only thing that'll keep me sane while my husband is working graveyard shifts.

John, it's great to have you on board.

The registering requirement has really cut down on the "Post and run" type BS.

You're doing a great job on the show. I'm glad to hear a true drag fan doing the interviews.

We always hear from the drivers and crew chiefs. It'd be great to hear from the "peons" once in a while. For instance, what it's like to be the bottom end man and get all that stuff dripped in your face, and have the cylinder head guys kicking you all the time.

We always hear from the drivers and crew chiefs. It'd be great to hear from the "peons" once in a while. For instance, what it's like to be the bottom end man and get all that stuff dripped in your face, and have the cylinder head guys kicking you all the time.
Trust me David-
Those bottom end guys get even with a torque wrench to the shin bone- :eek::eek:

Glad to have you back John... :)

Any chance of making Page disappear?? :D

Hi John. Very cool to see you here and have you asking what fans want. That is very refreshing. There have already been some great suggestions and I look forward to seeing any of those that you may incorporate.

Just keep doing what you are doing and we'll be watching. I was very happy to see you join the team.

welcome john! glad your here, you do a great job! how about interviews about what crews and drivers do away from the track, like hobbies, family, ect, maybe tape a few segments on weeks off and during the winter break.

Wow, that's harsh Ray.

Paul seems like a good guy......he just needs to be doing Indy racing and let Marty come back to us.
Of course it was a joke Arthur- :)

Have you seen the Gotti grandkids?? I KARUMBA- :rolleyes:

I've never said I did'nt like Paul, infact I thought he has done fine...

Champ car would be better though, I watch the IRL... :D

John;
NHRA has been trying to remake it's self to look more like NASCAR this year with the addition of the Countdown. What I'd like to see is a feature on how close the fans can get to the racers at an NHRA event and why that's a huge difference between NHRA and that other organization.

Also, since many think drag racing is simple (short, straight line, etc.), I'd like to see a pit reporter sit with a crew chief as they analyze the prior run and then show the fans what they can change for the next run, followed by what they WILL change. Much more work and input than most would assume.

Ray, I knew you were kidding.

To quote Andy Griffith when Barney bought the surplus motorcycle and was driving the town crazy.

"We just want to hurt him a little bit, we don't want to kill him."

I think he actually has gotten better this year, with Mikey pulling him along.

Last edited:
John, glad they added you to the show and, I also miss RPM 2night.

The suggestions are all good and as was mentioned before I like the emphasis the power of these vehicles. I know when I'm talking to someone new about drag racing I usually mention an incident a few years back when one of the tow vehicles was a little too close to a fuel car and they blew all the windows out of the thing. A great example for someone who has never been to a track.

Two things I really dislike about the Q&A's on the show is long setup/questions and how does it feel questions.

Unless it is a how to/does question for a newbie keep the setup and question short and let the driver/crew spend more time talking with maybe a follow up instead of spending 3/4 of the alloted time setting up and asking the question.

How does it feel or how do you feel questions always seem to me to be something a rookie reporter asks because they don't know enough to ask a relevant question or they are looking for tears or anger. Everyone knows how they feel... lost on a red light? they feel like sh!@. Won the US Nationals? They feel great. Dumb questions to known answers.

And the worst, a combination of both. The US Nationals, the "Big Go" the most prestigious race on the NHRA Powerade circuit, with all the history, past winners, you having tried for the last 50 years to win a race and this is your first outing in a top fuel car, tell us how does it feel?

John-

I would like to see more on the crew and or what changes are made and why based on runs. I realize the "fluf" is for the casual fan, but the hardcore fan wants to know what changes a team makes to increase performance. I don't think we need detail in the tune-up, but something to show that this is more than a car going down the track. What makes them so powerful, what it takes to keep it from spinning the tires, etc.

Just my thoughts

Justin Grant

http://www.stardustracing.com
Don Schumacher's Stardust AA/FC

Hey everybody. I just wanted to say hi and unfortunately because of this sites "firewalls" it has taken forever. I have tried a couple of times over the last ten minutes and finally it let me post even though i had gone through all the steps, so......

I've been looking at this site for several weeks and I want to thank everyone for welcoming me back into the NHRA home on ESPN2. While most of my work over the last 25 years has been in Nascar, I have always been a drag racing fan.

Now to the meat of my post: what types of information do you want when we, the pit reporters, do our little bits prior to someone's pass? It would be really helpful to me to find out what the drag racing fans would like to know. I know what I think might be important, but as a newbie, I would like to know what the veteran viewers want.

Thanks again and I really appreciate everyone's support!
John Kernan (the new kid)

John
I really like Kris' idea of a little feature about the team chefs & maybe something how the hospitality suites work to give insight for the people that have never been to a race. OR, better yet, a feature of how nitro burns your eyes & sinus when they fire a car up & yet people will rush toward it.:p

John,

I like all your reporting and features from the pits. You're a great addition to the team.

One suggestion would be to do a series of short features on the Nostalgia movement. This would let even the casual fan, as well as the hardcore fans a look back to remember where this sport has been.

(You can pay me later Rapid and Justin..lol)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back