Just wanted to say hi, but this has been a hassle! (1 Viewer)

Welcome John, what about getting ESPN to get out the extra slow motion camera.
When something like tyre shake or an engine explosion happens, get the crew chief concerned to explain what happened to the car.
They can tell the fans what they did to fix it and maybe the cost that incident cost the team in replacement parts.
Rob

Hey John ! While nothing could make me sit and watch cars going in a circle for 4 hours, I remember you from other NHRA races.... and was very happy to see you back this year.

And, welcome to Mater!

Any chance we could see you in the booth with Mikey? ;)

Welcome John!! Longtime fan of RPM2night when it was on,but glad you're at the drag races now.I'd like to see some pit coverage of the sportsman classes,and since Indy is the next stop,the SS/AH Hemi shootout would be a ideal subject.Maybe a comparison of a street car against a super stock or stock eliminator car,side by side to show the modifications..using a late model Mustang/Camaro/Dakota truck??

This is the best idea yet. I am all for this.... might help some of the fans learn what all goes on in the sportsman catagory and maybe introduce the sportsman classes as something the fans can get into and drive a race car instead of just watching and wishing.

wow, what a response. i love all of the ideas and will pass them along to our prodcuer.

i believe we are going to have an extra slo-mo camera this weekend. i'm not sure where it is going to be located though.

thank you for the ideas and thank you for welcoming me back into the nhra family. everyone from the competitors to the fans have made me feel right at home.

see you at indy!
john

John.. just a quick welcome to the mater.... glad to hear your voice during the broadcasts...

Have fun at Indy...

Billy

LMAO! I'm sure there's something. ;)

John,
Welcome back to NHRA racing. I too like so many others here enjoyed the old RPM2 night show. I like all of the ideas put forth so far but IMHO one of the greatest things about NHRA drag racing is the fan access to the pits during the race. You'll have a team trashing away on car to make the 75 minute turn around and see some of the drivers "working the ropes" greeting the fans. And then the all important warm up routine the teams go thru! You just can't get that at a NASCAR race!!!!

Welcome to the Mater. As for your original question, I think everyone would love to see a weekly segment about Doug Herbert ...

I have to try!!!

as for seeing me in the booth with mike, no way! i'm a pit reporter. i love to be where the action is! besides, paul page is, in my mind the best racing announcer in the business! this is the first time that paul and i have worked together, but way back in the 70's when i was a teenager working at a local radio station in missouri paul was the voice of the indy 500. i always volunteered to work during the race and i must say paul was one of my heroes and has been a very big influence on my career. if you only knew what went on during one of our broadcasts, i think you would be amazed that paul is able to do the fine job that he does! so, please don't pick on paul. he is great!!!!!

John.. see if you can get an interview with Evan Knoll..... find out whats behind his madness.... would be great to hear it right from his mouth....

Billy

Last edited:
as for seeing me in the booth with mike, no way! i'm a pit reporter. i love to be where the action is! besides, paul page is, in my mind the best racing announcer in the business! this is the first time that paul and i have worked together, but way back in the 70's when i was a teenager working at a local radio station in missouri paul was the voice of the indy 500. i always volunteered to work during the race and i must say paul was one of my heroes and has been a very big influence on my career. if you only knew what went on during one of our broadcasts, i think you would be amazed that paul is able to do the fine job that he does! so, please don't pick on paul. he is great!!!!!

Thank you!! To me he is the classic voice of motorsports. He is learning drag racing and I think he is ok. How can you not get excited when watching these cars..I wouldn't be able to put a sentence together!!

Hey everybody. I just wanted to say hi and unfortunately because of this sites "firewalls" it has taken forever. I have tried a couple of times over the last ten minutes and finally it let me post even though i had gone through all the steps, so......

I've been looking at this site for several weeks and I want to thank everyone for welcoming me back into the NHRA home on ESPN2. While most of my work over the last 25 years has been in Nascar, I have always been a drag racing fan.

Now to the meat of my post: what types of information do you want when we, the pit reporters, do our little bits prior to someone's pass? It would be really helpful to me to find out what the drag racing fans would like to know. I know what I think might be important, but as a newbie, I would like to know what the veteran viewers want.

Thanks again and I really appreciate everyone's support!
John Kernan (the new kid)

Welcome John...I remember watching you on Roanoke TV when I lived in Floyd...

Oh yeah, I always enjoyed Paul Page.

People here were PO'd that he didn't come off the trailer with a 4.40 pass.

By my standards he has been OK......not terrific, but quite tolerable.

Couple years from now people will complain if he is replaced, quote me on that.........

REX

Hey John , greetings from the " Star City ." I was glad to see you back on the tube ( in racing ) especially with NHRA Drag Racing .You always did a heck of a job for the gang at WDBJ , " Your Hometown Station ." You know the deal , keep doing what you have always done , solid ,informative info ...Continue the great job you have always done .

Now to the meat of my post: what types of information do you want when we, the pit reporters, do our little bits prior to someone's pass? It would be really helpful to me to find out what the drag racing fans would like to know. I know what I think might be important, but as a newbie, I would like to know what the veteran viewers want.

I want to know how much the drivers are making. :D

John-- thanks for coming on board. To me this is one of the great things about the internet. A chance for you -the broadcaster- to interact with us the fans who are receiving the information. By being on this forum you can take the pulse of the fans and it can give an important perspective to your work. So-- keep in touch!!! That said... I would like to see more time spent explaining the workings of the engine. Even though I have been a rabid drag racing fan for over thirty years I am not a gearhead .I have learned a little over the years but I want to know more.

John,
the first race you covered this year sounded as if you'd been with
the NHRA group for years.
no suggestions from me; i think the NHRA telecasts have only gotten
better with each passing year and to echo what others have
already stated, you are a fantastic addition to the team.
I also miss your previous RPMtonight show.

i thought the super-slo-mo camera
segwaying into and out of commercial breaks was great.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back