Has this been discussed ?? (1 Viewer)

Nitromater.com....where everyone has all the answers.
What would be your solution, Tony? Do you think things need to change? Slower? If so, what would be your recommendations?

You 'da clutchman! I really am interested to hear your opinion on all this.

IF they must slow the cars down, I think the combo Cruz tested here a few weeks back is a very good start. Use most of the same parts they already have, just go a little slower. Get it so teams are not left with a bunch of obsolete parts (let alone chassis and bodies :rolleyes:). Doing it that way, I would think would be easier on the budget.

I agree........you don't need to "re-invent the wheel";)

I agree that the less prepped tracks would slow the cars down a good deal without forcing the teams to change combinations. At Norwalk's Night Under Fire this year the track wasn't overly prepped and the cars ran top speeds around the 280s.

I've thought an interesting and cost effective way to slow the cars down would be to keep all the current regulations but reduce the size of the fuel cell. The teams would have to reduce the motor's tune to make sure they had enough fuel for the burnout, stage time and then the run. It would keep the teams from having to buy new equipment and could even create some interesting strategies.

Let me throw this into the pot guys.

Could it be possible that the purpose NHRA is testing a new engine combo is to find a way to "REDUCE THE POSSIBILITIES OF CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE, WHICH THE BY PRODUCT IS A SLOWER SPEED"?

...Or are we all convinced that NHRA is simply trying to "SLOW THE CARS DOWN?"

Good point Tim, but look at any of those Drag racing Tapes from the 80's when the cars were running 5.50's. There was some Major Boomer's in those days as well!

Good point Tim, but look at any of those Drag racing Tapes from the 80's when the cars were running 5.50's. There was some Major Boomer's in those days as well!

Thats the thing , as long as there has been drag racing there has been major boomers even back in the 50's probably more so in the old days because there were more cars . As long as there is motorsport there will be boomers and crashes and people getting hurt . I was reading an article once about sprint car racing in the 60's and it was so dangerous that the drivers would sit around at the start of the season and wonder who would still be alive at the end of the season.

............I've thought an interesting and cost effective way to slow the cars down would be to keep all the current regulations but reduce the size of the fuel cell. The teams would have to reduce the motor's tune to make sure they had enough fuel for the burnout, stage time and then the run. It would keep the teams from having to buy new equipment and could even create some interesting strategies.
Running a nitro car out of fuel not a good idea........ :)
No kidding. Tony McCallum comes to mind in Houston when he debuted a new car and the tank was a little on the small side.

Thats the thing , as long as there has been drag racing there has been major boomers even back in the 50's probably more so in the old days because there were more cars . As long as there is motorsport there will be boomers and crashes and people getting hurt . I was reading an article once about sprint car racing in the 60's and it was so dangerous that the drivers would sit around at the start of the season and wonder who would still be alive at the end of the season.

Anytime these guys are racing to win, you will have racers pushing the Combo to it's limits! Compression, Blower, etc... Anything that will make more HP!

I can remember at Dallas around 1990 Mark Oswald has a Ferocious Explosion much like Tony Pedregon's at Pomona 2 years ago! And Oswald's car was running what 5.20's?

Anytime these guys are racing to win, you will have racers pushing the Combo to it's limits! Compression, Blower, etc... Anything that will make more HP!

I can remember at Dallas around 1990 Mark Oswald has a Ferocious Explosion much like Tony Pedregon's at Pomona 2 years ago! And Oswald's car was running what 5.20's?

I have seen footage of that , blew the entire top half of the engine off literily .

What about this idea, haha take the weight ristrictions of them so that they are lighter and easier to stop any idiot knows that the heavier something is the harder it is to stop a train for example . Adding more weight would just be going backwards then you would have a 330mph 2 ton lead brick .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back