Has this been discussed ?? (1 Viewer)

JIMBO

Nitro Member
With all of the NHRA wishes to slow fuel cars down instead of all of this engine re-mods why would they not look at the cars themselves ? Change the wedges to look more like the production counter parts , change the wing size and placement so they do not have as much down force,shorten the wheel base.
Make the tuners detune to get the cars to hook up by losing down force and traction. Keep the nitro the same or higher,heck if the cars do not have traction they can't go 320 + in under 4 seconds.
If this has been brought up before I apologize.But I think if the cars looked old school (ie smaller wings,more correct looking bodies) and had the same look and sound as now everyone would be happy.:confused:
Maybe some owners could comment if this a possibility.

I am pretty positive that today's design technology is not just to help the cars go fast, but has proven to be MUCH more stable at any speed- so current TF and FC design may be as much for safety as it is for speed.... (It damn sure ain't for looks... :D)

If they really wanted to slow the cars down they would mandate a smaller tire. Go from a 17" wide to a 13" wide. Less wing, less spoiler, less horsepower needed.

maybe I'm the last person that should talk about stability but....

I do remember the days of flying floppers, pipe racks lifting the meat off the track when the laundry hit... Martini is right... it ain't an aero issue, down force is good.

the simplest way to slow the cars? Stop Over Prepping The TRACK... Don't drag and scrape and re-glue before each round.... sweep and go... oil down? do the kitty litter thing and go... don't respray...

If the track won't hold the horses, you bring less horses....

d'kid

just figure out and allow for use of mono strut rear wing.
hopes for major changes in aesthetics short term is probably slim and none,
(martins' comments) but that mono wing is trick and looks flippin' awesome;
would be a pleasant change, at least in TF, IMO

just figure out and allow for use of mono strut rear wing.
hopes for major changes in aesthetics short term is probably slim and none,
(martins' comments) but that mono wing is trick and looks flippin' awesome;
would be a pleasant change, at least in TF, IMO

You're gonna LOVE the kid's new car, Mike....;)

Let me throw this into the pot guys.

Could it be possible that the purpose NHRA is testing a new engine combo is to find a way to "REDUCE THE POSSIBILITIES OF CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE, WHICH THE BY PRODUCT IS A SLOWER SPEED"?

...Or are we all convinced that NHRA is simply trying to "SLOW THE CARS DOWN?"

Let me throw this into the pot guys.

Could it be possible that the purpose NHRA is testing a new engine combo is to find a way to "REDUCE THE POSSIBILITIES OF CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE, WHICH THE BY PRODUCT IS A SLOWER SPEED"?

...Or are we all convinced that NHRA is simply trying to "SLOW THE CARS DOWN?"

That's easy... outlaw POP.... make everyone use blacky carbon...

d'kid

IF they must slow the cars down, I think the combo Cruz tested here a few weeks back is a very good start. Use most of the same parts they already have, just go a little slower. Get it so teams are not left with a bunch of obsolete parts (let alone chassis and bodies :rolleyes:). Doing it that way, I would think would be easier on the budget.

It wont slow them down (sacrilage talk that) but if you want to stop them blowing up them take away the nitro restriction then they dont have to push the motor as hard to make as much power.

I thought that was the reason to run 1k and to lower the nitro % if they only change the engine package these brain trust will figure out how to "burn the quick wick" and they (NHRA) will start over with this again.
This is why I thought going in reverse with the cars themselves would be a better answer for the fans and NHRA when the paychecks are happy.......

seems simple to me:

- One Mag
- Smaller Fuel Pump
- Lower boost
- Cap the extra spark plug hole and run same heads..

Run it...!

Tim, I agree that would make the most sense, limit blower overdrive, smaller spec fuel pump and one mag. They don't need to go a lot slower and I'll bet parts would last longer!

I still think its sacralidge to even be discussing this topic but hey my oppinion doesnt mean anything . Though hey for me its racing first entertainment second . But I mean if they didnt have the minimum engine displacement racers would probably drop the engine size if they backed the blower down because the smaller engine would think the blowers bigger . If they dropped nitro percentage wouldnt they just raise compression to make more power? If they went to one pump then well Dave Benjamin said once on another forum that he can make a single pump that flows almost 100gpm . If they went to a single mag they would probably just chuck a fuel injector in the the spare spark plug hole so as to have direct injection .

Tim, I agree that would make the most sense, limit blower overdrive, smaller spec fuel pump and one mag. They don't need to go a lot slower and I'll bet parts would last longer!

Heck...let em run any fuel pump they want... Problem is how much volumn could you fire with one mag?

Start with the MAG... and everything else just goes away. Less spark = less fuel, so you'd have to have smaller pump, lower boost. Take away the rev limiter and let em run on 98 percent.

...anyone have a problem with that set up? Won't work?

the simplest way to slow the cars? Stop Over Prepping The TRACK... Don't drag and scrape and re-glue before each round.... sweep and go... oil down? do the kitty litter thing and go... don't respray...

If the track won't hold the horses, you bring less horses....
d'kid
I think they kind of tried that one, was it the beginning of '08 when there were a few races where they didn't groom the track as much? Vegas comes to mind. Everyone was about to riot in those cases. Personally I think it is an area they could look at and save themselves some $ on VHT as well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back