Has the NHRA ever considered different length races? (1 Viewer)

Stoney

Nitro Member
Most all forms of motor sports have different length tracks (NASCAR, dirt track, Indy, F-1, etc.) on their schedule.

Given all the issues that went into the decision to race 1000 feet, why not race to 1320 at tracks with a long shut-down area, 1000 at some, even 1/8 if the shut down is shorter? It might even tighten up the standings to make teams change their tune-up based on more than just track and weather conditions.

Just like other forms of racing, some teams would excel at short track (good driver reaction time), some at long track (big speed/hp). That dynamic seems to add to the excitement of other motor sports.

Daytona and other big tracks have a certain aura about them, while Bristol is exciting for a whole different reason. Even dirt track, with 1/2 mile ovals and 1/4 mile races for sprint cars provides for interesting outcomes.

I realize most people have no interest in turning the NHRA into NASCAR (except maybe the folks who run it!) but it's not just NASCAR, it's virtually every single type of racing.

I haven't seen this discussed and was wondering if there is a simple reason why it wouldn't work. If it would work, what do you professional racers think? Couldn't it meet the concerns of people like Jim Head as well as those purist who long for the days of 1/4 mile drag racing?

If I remember right, I thought they were considering racing the full 1320 at some tracks and keeping 1000 ft. at others.

Definitely interesting from a fan's standpoint. Might be counter productive to cutting costs.............

during the course of a season you would have to have equipment for two different combination's.

Although I love the idea, I'm afraid I'm with Al on this one. The teams have a hard enough time finding funding for what they have now, let alone the possibility of needing parts for two more combinations (1/8 and 1/4).
Sean D

I don't really agree with the idea but using the 1/8 mile doorslammers as a comparison they are aparently set up drasticly different over the 1/8 mile then a 1/4 mile car would be.

You guys gotta remember, these cars have more power than you'll ever need.
The only difference would be an adjustment in the fuel system and ignition timing.

Remember the reason a number of folks skip Bandimere, the need for a whole different setup...

Remember the reason a number of folks skip Bandimere, the need for a whole different setup...

Racing at Pomona in 2300 feet of air to 1000' and then going to say Vegas in 3700 feet of air to the 1320' would not be that big of deal. They would need to adjust on it anyway.

Now going from Sonoma in 1,100 feet of air to Denver in 9,000 feet of air is pretty drastic. I don't think that's a good comparison.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back