Say what you want about the NHRA but . . . . . . (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
They seem to be the last holdout for Quarter Mile Racing. 1/8 mile racing has completely taken over non NHRA racing and while I’ve always had a live and let live attitude, the appeal of 1/8 mile drag racing escapes me. Perhaps the people over at the NHRA notice that while 1/8 mile racing is the preferred driver/owner format, it does not draw many spectators. I’ve yet to observe a 1/8 race with full stands and I don’t ever recall seeing a 1/8 mile race on National tv, other than that reality show, which somehow manages to make a 1/8 mile dragrace look like its a half mile long. Didn’t want to rehash this subject again but everytime I see a link to watch a race, these days, I click and much to my disappointment there only racing to half track

They seem to be the last holdout for Quarter Mile Racing. 1/8 mile racing has completely taken over non NHRA racing and while I’ve always had a live and let live attitude, the appeal of 1/8 mile drag racing escapes me. Perhaps the people over at the NHRA notice that while 1/8 mile racing is the preferred driver/owner format, it does not draw many spectators. I’ve yet to observe a 1/8 race with full stands and I don’t ever recall seeing a 1/8 mile race on National tv, other than that reality show, which somehow manages to make a 1/8 mile dragrace look like its a half mile long. Didn’t want to rehash this subject again but everytime I see a link to watch a race, these days, I click and much to my disappointment there only racing to half track

While I do agree with you to an extent there were quite a few ADRL events in their early days where the stands were packed and they did for a short time have what I thought was a pretty good show on the Outdoor channel. 1/8 mile does not normally transfer well to tv without heavy editing in my opinion. The best place to be at an 1/8 mile race is at the finish line then you can appreciate it a bit more. I personally do not like 1/8 racing mixed with 1/4 mile at the same event.

Last year Funny Car Chaos filled the stands at most of their races, and they are 1/8th mile. Many factors involved in going to the shorter venue, insurance being a big part of it. Some tracks it's either 1/8 mile or nothing, so take it or sit at home. Used to not like it but now it's becoming the norm.

Now here in the southern part of the country, it's either race 1/8 mile or you stay home. There are still some 1/4 mile drag strips but for the most part, it's all 1/8 mile.
Insurance is a big part of it along with tracks that simply don't have the shutdown area that is long enough and it is somewhat easier on the engines and cars.

Another interesting thing is the spectators see more of the racing than simply looking at the timing clocks to see who crossed the finish line first.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

660 is for people that cant tune a car to run 1320 lol. 660 just isnt worth it,im sure owners drivers like it,its cheaper

I never got the whole “it’s easier on parts “ argument. I certainly understand that it obviously is, but so why not go to 330ft? Imagine the parts longevity!

We are moving forward with our plans to build a new 1/8 mile track here in CA and almost ready to submit our final plans to the County. Yes, 1/4 mile is preferred, but everyone we presented our plans to are accepting to the idea of a shorter track length. Now-a-days the insurance companies mandate 2 ft. of shut-off for every foot of race track and for us a straight line of 3/4 miles was not realistic. We were close, but that doesn't get it.

Besides, most drivers will tell you the most thrilling part of the run is within the first 1/8 mile anyways; unless something is wrong. ;)

Immokalee Regional Raceway, in SW Florida is a 1/8 mile track, which features some mighty close racing. The track is well prepared & maintained. If you si on the pit side at the starting line, you can almost shake hands with the driver in the left lane. How about that?
g
Sometimes, a guy with a cart will roam the pits and hand out free ice cream. :p

One more: Immokalee has great Mexican restaurants.

We are moving forward with our plans to build a new 1/8 mile track here in CA and almost ready to submit our final plans to the County. Yes, 1/4 mile is preferred, but everyone we presented our plans to are accepting to the idea of a shorter track length. Now-a-days the insurance companies mandate 2 ft. of shut-off for every foot of race track and for us a straight line of 3/4 miles was not realistic. We were close, but that doesn't get it.

Just curious why not make it a 1000 track?

When you realize that the Outlaw 275, Outlaw DR, Big Tire, etc. classes are running more than a few 4000hp cars capable of exceeding 250mph at a quarter mile facility, 660 foot racing starts to make some sense. And as a fan, you can see the entire race from the launch to the top-end charge - with 1320 feet, not so much. I like 1320 feet myself but I not only understand 660 feet, I'm good with it. I've found that most people who say "I'll never attend another race" or " I'll never watch drag racing on TV again" are simply upset that 660' racing breaks with tradition. The same people boycott 1000' racing, too and would likely shun it if it were 1200 feet.

Most other forms of motorsport routinely run on different lengths of tracks - NASCAR competitors are liable to race a 2.5 mile track one weekend and a 1/2 mile track the next - and it doesn't seem to bother anyone, so there's that.

Most of your et is made up by the 1/8th mile (so i do not think its the tuning as some have said), some of these promods and outlaw cars are so on the edge pushing to the 1320 is probably not safe. NHRA pro mods are probably pushing 30-50 mph more on a full 1/4 pass.

I never got the whole “it’s easier on parts “ argument. I certainly understand that it obviously is, but so why not go to 330ft? Imagine the parts longevity!

I wonder how fast a T/F car would go in 330' ? Maybe 200? And there are some 1/8 mile tracks where I would not want to run a T/F or F/C car, just cuz short shut off area.

I wonder how fast a T/F car would go in 330' ? Maybe 200? And there are some 1/8 mile tracks where I would not want to run a T/F or F/C car, just cuz short shut off area.
Maple Grove also comes to mind when you're going that fast and then trying to slow down. The shutoff distance is not that long.

Jim Hill

Just curious why not make it a 1000 track?

Don't be silly, no one likes 1000' racing. 😆

You also half to have an extra 100' or so of sand trap too. No the plans are drawn up and we're ready to submit to the county. At some point in the future we'll put a helicopter landing pad down there or maybe a karting track or something else. This will be a multi purpose motorsports facility including road course, motox, sand drags (BTW, they only run 300') and a tractor pullling arena. Those will be on a different side of train tracks. The drag strip is our first priority though.

I'm not really a fan of 1/8 mile racing. But, given ever increasing land costs, insurance, taxes, etc., it won't surprise me to see nothing but 1/8 mile racing before long.
Plus, all cars, from showroom stock all the way to Top Fuel, are turning times and speeds that were unheard of when 1/4 mile racing started way back when.
However, I will never tire of hearing a dual quad Hemi car at full throttle on a serious 1/4 mile top end charge.

Maple Grove also comes to mind when you're going that fast and then trying to slow down. The shutoff distance is not that long.

Jim Hill

Beg to differ, They extended the shutdown area across a back road. When T/F runs, the have the equivalent of a R/R barrier that comes down so traffic doesn't interfere. Guess you haven't been to the extended end?

I have been to a number of the 1/8mi. tracks here in the South, primarily in Alabama and I do not care for them. Even announced some shows for the late George Howard at Lassiter Mountain. Went to Holiday Beach, I-22, Jakes Dragway, Lassiter, Sand Mountain, and Holy Springs to name a few. I very much prefer 1320 but I also understand that land size and area have a lot to do with it.

Where is this proposed 1/8mi. track in Cali located?

[email protected] 223rd & Alameda had the sweetest 1320 feet in the sport!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back