Most Races In 1 Season? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
What are the most races you have attended in 1 season. Add up all the races of any kind into 1 lump sum. I got interested in the race chasers on the oval side starting in the 90's. There were usually 3 guys who would be at the top. Guy Smith from Area Auto Racing news, J.R. Kennerup for Speed Sport, and Sprint car guy Kevin Eckert would be dukin' it out. The high mark was around 130+ shows. Geez!

In 1990, the last year that Ascot Park in Gardena, California, was open. I broke my long standing record I had with my dad of 51 races in 1969. In 1990 the Mrs. and myself hit 58 races, spanning from January to Thanksgiving weekend.

However with a plethora of tracks within 4 hours of my Alabama house, I demolished my record in 2010 with a whopping 74 races. Out of state drag races included Pomona, Bristol, and Atlanta. I also checked off a big bucket list event and track by going to the World 100 at Eldora Speedway in Ohio.

Other events were oval dirt tracks, announcing full time at 2, pavement tracks, and some 1/8mi. strips too.

I made it to 23 tracks here in the Southeast. I wore my truck out. There were Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday events along with 1 Monday night race.

Talk about burnout, started in January at the track I announce at, Talladega Short Track's Ice Bowl, and ending in December.

Now it is down to all events at Talladega, Talladega Super Speedway, the NHRA event at Atlanta and about 2 or 3 off weekend events around my house. Getting old,lol

How bout you?

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer

What are the most races you have attended in 1 season. Add up all the races of any kind into 1 lump sum. I got interested in the race chasers on the oval side starting in the 90's. There were usually 3 guys who would be at the top. Guy Smith from Area Auto Racing news, J.R. Kennerup for Speed Sport, and Sprint car guy Kevin Eckert would be dukin' it out. The high mark was around 130+ shows. Geez!

In 1990, the last year that Ascot Park in Gardena, California, was open. I broke my long standing record I had with my dad of 51 races in 1969. In 1990 the Mrs. and myself hit 58 races, spanning from January to Thanksgiving weekend.

However with a plethora of tracks within 4 hours of my Alabama house, I demolished my record in 2010 with a whopping 74 races. Out of state drag races included Pomona, Bristol, and Atlanta. I also checked off a big bucket list event and track by going to the World 100 at Eldora Speedway in Ohio.

Other events were oval dirt tracks, announcing full time at 2, pavement tracks, and some 1/8mi. strips too.

I made it to 23 tracks here in the Southeast. I wore my truck out. There were Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday events along with 1 Monday night race.

Talk about burnout, started in January at the track I announce at, Talladega Short Track's Ice Bowl, and ending in December.

Now it is down to all events at Talladega, Talladega Super Speedway, the NHRA event at Atlanta and about 2 or 3 off weekend events around my house. Getting old,lol

How bout you?

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer
Damn, who mowed your yard and other man things around house.? Did you drive or fly to races ? I'm in awe you were able to pull of.

Pomona I flew out to that. the others I drove to, I don't even want to know the mileage or how much gas I used. At the time I was in semi-retirement but later got bored.

One thing, with the exception of Pomona and Atlanta, I did not pay one cent for tickets or pit passes as I became well acquainted with all the track owners, fellow announcers, flagman, and race directors.

My wife always asked me, where tonight? I wanted to hit it real hard one more time for one year.

There are 2 distinct groups, race chasers and track chasers, I was a race chaser.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer....waiting to go racing!

I don't exactly remember what year it was (maybe 2007) I worked for Bob Gilbertson and he ran all 24 NHRA races and 11 IHRA races with two rainouts for a total of 37 weekends on the road.

I think the most races I ever went to was 1968-1969. I got out of the Air Force in 1968 & started going weekly to San Fernando. I think I went about a year straight, kind of to make up for not seeing the races when I was military. Was also thinking that AA/FD teams normally ran every weekend in SoCalif, all year long. Many would go to Lions or wherever on Sat night & San Fernando or Pomona on Sunday. Of course, the maintenance on the cars was nothing like today, so you could get away with racing every weekend.

2013 was the year for me.

Both Pomona, both Vegas Nationals and Divisionals, Phoenix, Indy, Reading and Houston. WOO races in Vegas and Lawrenceburg, IN. NASCAR Cup and Xfinity in Vegas, 2 NASCAR Truck races in Vegas. I also worked my first drift events towards the end of 2013. A few smaller shows at the BullRing in Vegas and events at the Strip at LVMS. Oh yeah, a dirt modifieds show at Florence Speedway in Kentucky.

I have moved from Vegas to Kentucky recently, and I was really looking forward to this racing season. Drag Racing at Edgewater, Kil Kare, Columbus, Bowling Green, Clay City, Thorn Hill and Indy. Dirt tracks in Lawrenceburg and Florence and I was finally going to try to get to Eldora for that Truck race and/or the Kings Royal. I haven't been to the Indy 500 since 1993, I was going to try to rectify that this year. NASCAR and IndyCar at Kentucky Speedway. All of the tracks listed (except Eldora) are within 100 miles of where I am currently sitting. Stupid Corona Virus.

Last edited:
Chris, since you are in Kentucky, ya gotta hit the North-South 100 at Florence Speedway, that event rocks. You will also leave Eldora for any of it's big one's a changed man, the track is something. In 1969 my dad and I made 38 shows if I recall correctly just at Lions.

Also Chris, come on down to Alabama to the track I announce at, Talladega Short Track. For Nascar weekend, that whole weekend is a blast, we race both Friday and Saturday nights. Or any of our other big show, hopefully we will have our once-postponed Lucas Oil Super Dirt Late Model event on June 27th. PM me if interested down the road and I will fix you up with free tix, pits, and/or suite access.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer..home of the South's Best Late Model racing.

I don't exactly remember what year it was (maybe 2007) I worked for Bob Gilbertson and he ran all 24 NHRA races and 11 IHRA races with two rainouts for a total of 37 weekends on the road.

you had to be burnt out! It's not like you could go out to a local place and hang out and chill out for a few hours before you hit the wall, wake up and do it all again.

Last edited:
I was burnt out, the worst part was standing on hot asphalt 4 days each weekend. It was one of the big reasons I decided to retire after 47 years in Motorsports. I seriously doubt it will happen but if the revised NHRA schedule with 16 races in 16 consecutive weekends kicks off in August there will be a lot of people who will be falling by the wayside.

Chris, since you are in Kentucky, ya gotta hit the North-South 100 at Florence Speedway, that event rocks. You will also leave Eldora for any of it's big one's a changed man, the track is something. In 1969 my dad and I made 38 shows if I recall correctly just at Lions.

Also Chris, come on down to Alabama to the track I announce at, Talladega Short Track. For Nascar weekend, that whole weekend is a blast, we race both Friday and Saturday nights. Or any of our other big show, hopefully we will have our once-postponed Lucas Oil Super Dirt Late Model event on June 27th. PM me if interested down the road and I will fix you up with free tix, pits, and/or suite access.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer..home of the South's Best Late Model racing.

I have been to many races at Florence Speedway over the years, it is 5 minutes from where I am sitting right now. But it has never worked out for me to hit the North-South, I was gonna definitely do that this year. Lawrenceburg Speedway, also only about 15 minutes from where I am sitting, has a copycat event called the East-West 100 that should be fun. The Burg’s traditional WOO date is Memorial Day, no chance of that happening this year. Bummer.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back