Does firebird have to go? (1 Viewer)

While Firebird is no Vegas or Chicago, it's no worse than Gateway, Atlanta or Memphis. But Memphis is no more....

Doesn't make sense. Some of the other articles said that if some of the drivers thought that if they would have used 100% VHT on the track it would have been fine. That's the responsability of the NHRA track crew, not firebird. Antron's crash had nothing to do with firebird. It was a weird weekend, felt weird to me before anything happened. Read Wilk's blog, he said the same thing. Hell, even the GF's son was in a wreck on monday... :(

I know this is a huge monetary issue for all involved but bottom line, if you have an obviously unsafe racing surface to hold a national event on....you shouldn't have a national event there. The bumps didn't appear overnight. Daytona for the roundy rounders is another example. Hasn't been resurfaced since when? 78? or was it 84? Whatever it was....it looks to me that someone didn't have a logical budget working...maybe a little too much "profit" and not enough "capital outlay" If ya wanna play the game, ya gotta pay the price. I think Firebird should be embarrassed for even allowing the race to take place.

I know this is a huge monetary issue for all involved but bottom line, if you have an obviously unsafe racing surface to hold a national event on....you shouldn't have a national event there. The bumps didn't appear overnight. Daytona for the roundy rounders is another example. Hasn't been resurfaced since when? 78? or was it 84? Whatever it was....it looks to me that someone didn't have a logical budget working...maybe a little too much "profit" and not enough "capital outlay" If ya wanna play the game, ya gotta pay the price. I think Firebird should be embarrassed for even allowing the race to take place.
In regards to Daytona, 90% of the drivers do not want it to be resurfaced.
Drivers opposing resurfacing at Daytona | dnj.com | The Daily News Journal

When's the last time you've been to Firebird Stan?

While Firebird is no Vegas or Chicago, it's no worse than Gateway, Atlanta or Memphis. But Memphis is no more....

I'm surprised to see you mention St. Louis, Joe. Other than some parking issues, why don't you like it? I've made many passes there (Not Fuel numbers, obviously, but in the 6's @ nearly 200) and actually liked the place.

Sean D

Stan, you right on and that's a large part NHRA responsibility. They're suppose to check the condition of track before any National Event. This track is not fan friendly, facilities aren't up to par and the track is junk after 300'. There's people saying the track was replaced several years ago (not resurfaced) and if that's so then the contractor was not qualified to lay surface for a NHRA track, another responsibility of NHRA. If the track stays on they have a lot of work to do before next Feb.
The last time Dayton was resurfaced was I believe 74, and it's scheduled to be resurfaced in 2012. Different kind of racing, Drivers like the surface it is more fun to race on, no complaints there.

Last edited:
until the lease expires or runs out - fix the track and keep the event.
i don't think nhra has the luxury to abandon this annually successful event.

I'm surprised to see you mention St. Louis, Joe. Other than some parking issues, why don't you like it? I've made many passes there (Not Fuel numbers, obviously, but in the 6's @ nearly 200) and actually liked the place.

Sean D

Never been there Sean, just heard from fans that it's a pit! If you say it's a decent track then you would know.

I have been to both Firebird and Commerce (Atlanta) and I would rather go to Firebird. Commerce is a DUMP.

I know this past weekend was terrible on all fronts, but Firebird's track issues seem like they should be fixable before the tour goes back next year. Grind the bump out, prepare the track differently and the issues for Pro Stock should be completely marginalized.

As terrible as it was, Antron's deal could have happened anywhere, and that really can't be layed at Firebird's doorstep.

I've never been to Firebird. It seems very fixable to me, Lance. I just have a hard time believing they would let cars crash (no, I'm not blaming Antron's crash on the track either) when it could have been rectified waaaay before the first car went down track at this event. I don't have to be at Firebird to see the cars dip in the left lane. Why defend something that is obviously dangerous and fixable at the same time? Fix the damn thing or forget about having another national event.

With a unanimous vote on Tuesday, Spokane County Commissioners have opened negotiations with Ron Hodgson (Mission Raceway) and Charlie Allen (Firebird International Raceway) to take over operation of Spokane Raceway Park for the next ten years... in Drag Racing Online!

Like it or not, Firebird is one of the fastest tracks in the circuit.

I'm not a fan of Cheap Charlie, but this weekends "perfect storm" was not his fault with record rains, different NHRA track prepping and a freak accident all contributed to the sense of problems.

Also, the track is rented and I think he has to get approval from the landowners before he can make changes.

Like it or not, Firebird is one of the fastest tracks FOR FUEL CARS in the circuit..

I fixed it for ya Paul.

The Fuel cars do not have an issue getting down this track.... QUICKLY. Ron Capps holds the 1000 foot "OFFICIAL" record with the 4.02 last season recorded at Firebird.

There might be some confusion with some here concerning 'track prep' and what NHRA can do with it.

Top Fuel and Funny Cars like a certain prep, Pro Stock is night and day. More "GLUE" down track helps the Pro Stock cars stick due to lack of down force on the rear tires... Have that type of track prep with a fuel car and I can't imagine what would happen to the rear tires with the INSANE down force they produce.

Bottom line, if you spray the track with 100 percent VHT for the Pro Stock cars, you create a problem for the fuel cars.... (A SAFETY CONCERN).

The bump in that left lane produced some insane tire spin, drive shaft slip and a whole lot of problems for the Pro Stock cars. Even caused two cars to go turtle.

Fix the track....BUT DO IT RIGHT. Present management at Firebird has attempted to fix issues before (like extend the concrete launch pad) and extend the shut down area. Picking the low-ball estimate might work with some places, but has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS on a race track where these cars run.

Let's say I'm an owner of a big corporation and a huge fan of Drag Racing. The board says we've made enough money to where we could expand our advertising for 2011. So we're looking to invest in the top level of Drag Racing "NHRA" and the race we watch first is the Arizona Nationals. First impressions weight a lot on peoples minds, remember Vegas race with the stunt NHRA pulled on DSR , bad track conditions and media attention. Well, we never heard from Kevin Harvick about coming into Drag Racing again. The point I'm trying to make is for NHRA Drag Racing to be successful they have too put on a perfect show at every event and that did not happen at Firebird. We need more investment into our sport and they need to be inspired to do so.

Please let me say the Tragedy that happened with Antron's accident could have happened at any of the race tracks and had nothing to do with the track or condition of the Firebird facility.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back