Does firebird have to go? (2 Viewers)

I talked to a couple of crew members of pro teams along with top dragster racers and they said the VHT traction compound is now WATER BASED. I guess the alcohal based wasn't "enviromently friendly" I wonder how many more cars will crash before they say enough?

Darr, check what you write, as a so called drag racing aficionado, where did you ever read that Ron was a part of Mission Raceway.:confused::confused: He is from a different Province, and the only ties he has to Mission, is his funny car flies there. He is a partner at Edmonton.

Dean

I talked to a couple of crew members of pro teams along with top dragster racers and they said the VHT traction compound is now WATER BASED. I guess the alcohal based wasn't "enviromently friendly" I wonder how many more cars will crash before they say enough?

The answer would be a bunch.

Last edited:
I am not here to bash on anyone or put blame on anyone i am just saying someting i noticed over the weekend in phx! The one thing i noticed when they were doing track prep that i found kinda weird is they were draggin the track with the tractor as always and the spraying the new vht form$ula which while i was talking to one of the fuel drivers watching this we found weird because they used to drag the track with the tractor like 2 passes then spray the drag again after the spray! Just found it odd especially if its a water base that you wouldnt drag after you spray the track to help but idk i am not a expert just a driver lol!

Some of the articles I read said the PS cars need more stick to the track and the fuel cars need less because the fuel cars have more downforce. So how about letting the PS cars have more downforce. Wouldn't this let the fuel cars and PS be happy with a similar track prep?

Sorry Paul but that is a stretch for sportsman cars. I bet no car (other than a few fuel cars) have had career bests at Firebird if they get a chance to race on at least three or four other national event tracks.

For sure quicker
Seattle
Sonoma
Pomona
Englishtown
Gainesville
Maple Grove
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Richmond (ya I know its ihra now)

Likely quicker
Charlotte
Topeka
Indy
Norwalk

These four tracks if run the same time of year would be substancially quicker than Firturd.

Dean

First off i'm no expert in pro stock ,but couldn't they have put more wing angle on cars and different springs or adust valving so it would be stiffer down track to handle more downforce to cars to get them through that point on track ? I understand the bump unloads the cars but ?

Some of the articles I read said the PS cars need more stick to the track and the fuel cars need less because the fuel cars have more downforce. So how about letting the PS cars have more downforce. Wouldn't this let the fuel cars and PS be happy with a similar track prep?

Jim, there's very little clearance for rear tires on the P.S. cars and adding more down force causes tires to rub fenders.

I would like to see someone bring Speedworld Raceway Park up to National Event status... It would take a lot of money, but I think it would be better to just start over with a new facility in the Phoenix area rather than Firebird...

Stiffer springs/valving ?

Just doing some "keyboard crew-chiefing" here ... but I think stiffer suspension would exascerbate the problem as it would take still more downforce to get the suspension to work optimally. Plus, the stiffer the suspension, the more the bump would upset the rear of the car, as there is less compliance.

They actually did let the ps cars adjust the wing here in phx to put more downforce on the cars but as someone said there is very little clearence on those cars and it was actually rubbin really bad in the fender!

With a unanimous vote on Tuesday, Spokane County Commissioners have opened negotiations with Ron Hodgson (Mission Raceway) and Charlie Allen (Firebird International Raceway) to take over operation of Spokane Raceway Park for the next ten years... in Drag Racing Online!

It's good news that what is the best race track in the West is going to be back in action. With a few more bucks, SRP could be the finest facility West of the Rockies. I personally would have much preferred to have Jay Livingston be the new proprietor over Charlie Allen, but at least we can go racing it appears.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back