Does firebird have to go? (1 Viewer)

Sounds like Mr. Washington is truly the one who could really solve all the issues at Firebird .... George Washington, that is.... and a whole lot of him! If they're going to "upgrade" - it needs to be done right and it needs to be done big. Bruton......

Last edited:
Quote..
"Blame for the Pro Stock fiasco should be shared between the NHRA and Firebird, which, according to some racers, is one of the worst venues on the NHRA Half Throttle Drag Racing circuit."

Why did he call it "half" throttle?
Mabey he is bitter....

It's good news that what is the best race track in the West is going to be back in action. With a few more bucks, SRP could be the finest facility West of the Rockies. I personally would have much preferred to have Jay Livingston be the new proprietor over Charlie Allen, but at least we can go racing it appears.

I'm with you William regarding Charlie Allen.
I'm thinkin' that having Cindy Gibbs as ops mngr will be great too!
:):):)
Spokane Raceway LIVES AGAIN - www.insidetopalcohol.com

SPORTMAN ON HOLD THIS WEEKEND......

CHANDLER, Ariz. - The 2010 NHRA Lucas Oil Division 7 Opener at the Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix Arizona.: - 2:00p.m. update:

After several days of delays for rain and track incidents last weekend, we are once again in an
extended delay for track conditions.

The NHRA track crew has been working on the track since about 11:00am this morning to remedy
mid-track to finish line issues. The planned Stock; Super Street; and Super Stock qualifying and
time trials were already completed and several Super Comp pairs had completed their runs before the
dragging and spraying began.

The current plan is to do a full track wash, then a regular pre-race track preparation. Once
completed, round one of Stock Eliminator will be attempted. The balance of today's schedule will be
adjusted once the racing begins. The current estimates for the delay is about one hours, plus or
minus.

The balance of Super Comp racers, who were patiently waiting to get their Time Trial, have been
sent back to the pits. In addition, the planned Super Gas and Top Dragster time trial/qualifying
for this weekends LODRS Division Seven opener will be rescheduled to later today or after the
completion of the National Event eliminations.

With weather predictions for a wet Sunday, this has the makings of a long weekend!

Image022s.jpg

Image023s.jpg

How do you manage to get the wrong traction compound and not notice it for two weeks? Pure incompetence is the only thing I can think of.
CHANDLER, Ariz. - The 2010 NHRA Lucas Oil Division 7 Opener at the Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix Arizona: 2:00PM Update

NHRA made the following announcement a few minutes ago:

"Racing at the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Firebird International Raceway in Chandler, Arizona has been postponed.

NHRA and Firdbird officials have been working feverishly to correct a problem that was discovered during the NHRA Arizona Nationals and despite their best efforts have not been able to overcome the conditions. It was found on Friday that the wrong product of traction compound was sent to the
track and was used to prepare the racetrack the last two weeks. Officials believe that this is the root of the problems with the racing surface.

In the best interests of safety and concern for attending competitors, officials feel this is the best decision that can be made. The remainder of the event will continue at a later date that will be announced in the near future.

For more information, contact Mike Rice, NHRA Pacific Divison Director or Chuck Sunstrom, Track
Manager at Firebird beginning on Monday"
LODRS 7-1 - PHOENIX: Racing Will Be Rescheduled

Ha... after they rinsed off the tide, I was waiting for them to dump a couple gallons of downy on the track...:p

I bet they had a hard time deciding what scent to use too...:D

Last edited:
First off i'm no expert in pro stock ,but couldn't they have put more wing angle on cars and different springs or adust valving so it would be stiffer down track to handle more downforce to cars to get them through that point on track ? I understand the bump unloads the cars but ?

The affect of putting more wing in a Pro Stock Car is that it creates more down force.

This increase in downforce only helps if the surface is slick, not bumpy.

If there are HUGE bumps in the track and you put more downforce in the car it will make the bumps cause more tire spin and possibly crashes.

The bumps in the track surface at Firebird caused driveshaft spikes that were higher than I have ever seen at a NHRA national event.

These spikes were causing the rear tire to spin 33% of the time the car was in 3rd and 4th and 5th gear,

The only way to fix the problem is to grind the bumps out of the surface. very simple fix if you are willing to admit you have a problem.

The affect of putting more wing in a Pro Stock Car is that it creates more down force.

This increase in downforce only helps if the surface is slick, not bumpy.

If there are HUGE bumps in the track and you put more downforce in the car it will make the bumps cause more tire spin and possibly crashes.

The bumps in the track surface at Firebird caused driveshaft spikes that were higher than I have ever seen at a NHRA national event.

These spikes were causing the rear tire to spin 33% of the time the car was in 3rd and 4th and 5th gear,

The only way to fix the problem is to grind the bumps out of the surface. very simple fix if you are willing to admit you have a problem.

I appreciate you taking the time to jump in here, Jim. But everyone is saying the reason the bumps had the effect on the Pro Stock cars and not the fuel cars is because the fuel cars have much more downforce. Your post doesn't necessarily support that theory. Am I understanding you right or are you saying that even if you adjust the rear wing on a Pro Stock car to it's max there is too still too much of a spread between the increased downforce you would get and that produced by the fuel cars?

Sean D

I'm not a tuner but I've always been under the impression the fuel guys use timing to "step over" bumps...take timing out to lay the motor down for a nanosecond and settle the tire speed just enough to not break them loose.Could be wrong...just the way I've heard it.

Top Fuel cars have as much as 3,000 lbs. of downforce. Pro Stockers could never achieve that. Pro Stockers also have suspension.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back