Countdown Poll (3 Viewers)

Should NHRA scrap the Countdown or keep it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The poll can be 99% to 1%, but do you really think the NHRA will go back to the old system? I hope we can look back at this 5 years from now and all agree that the Countdown was a good thing for the sport after it has some minor tweaks.

so you want us to agree in the countdown because we're stuck with it and then hopefully in 5 years it'll be ok after they tweak it. Which even by saying that you agree that its not right, right now????

Which even by saying that you agree that its not right, right now????

After seeing how this played out this year I would either eliminate the Countdown to 1 or have more races then 2 in the Countdown to 1. The Countdown was definitely exciting and in my opinion was a success in the first year.

Not a fan of "countdowns" but they are what we got. Two races to decide the champion is horrible. Keep the countdown to 8, but then run it from there. A much fairer way to handle it.

The poll can be 99% to 1%, but do you really think the NHRA will go back to the old system? I hope we can look back at this 5 years from now and all agree that the Countdown was a good thing for the sport after it has some minor tweaks.

Now I'm going to do what you do and don't anyone dare complain about me after what you've done with me being the only one to complain about you. Are you related to Compton? Did you go out and get Countdown tattooed on your ass?

96 people have voted and it's running even more in favor than in the last poll. Wouldn't nearly ten to one being against the Countdown factor in as being one of the "facts" you've been waiting for?

I hope NHRA has the sense five years from now to use whatever system they think is most beneficial for the participants (they come first for me) and the sport as a whole. I have no BIAS other than that criteria, unlike you.

You're the one who said he wanted to wait until all the facts came out but, look at the bias you're also openly saying that you're preloaded with. Put all that to one side of a car, apply 8,000 horsepower to it and it'd go straight. :D

If the Countdown ended up working so well that drag racing took NASCAR's place in popularity, it could swing the other way and I could be in the 1% who would be opposed to it. I always will be if I think it's unfair to the drivers. It has something to do with integrity and principle. I'm sure you'd then treat me with the grace that I've given you. (LOL) Look at the labels you've tried to assign the MAJORITY of the members here out of weakness. No matter WHAT I said, I would be considered to be foolish, a clown, lacking of a life, disliking of change, etc, etc, etc. Just like the others here, it wouldn't matter what reason(s) I actually GAVE.

% here or % there. So what.

I remember an old saying back from when I was in high school......."Eat S#&t..........100,000,000,000 flies can't be wrong".

That is what I feel about polls.

Majority/mob mentality.

I'm not voting.

The premise of the "poll" is to vote on a "crapdown".

I do not know what that is so I will not participate.

My integrity and pride preclude that.

And I still laugh like hell about "fair"

The rules are the same for everyone, and even though the conspiricy theories are running rampant, everyone had the same rules at the Winters.

So stick yer polls up yer azz.

REX

% here or % there. So what.

I remember an old saying back from when I was in high school......."Eat S#&t..........100,000,000,000 flies can't be wrong".

That is what I feel about polls.

Majority/mob mentality.

I'm not voting.

The premise of the "poll" is to vote on a "crapdown".

I do not know what that is so I will not participate.

My integrity and pride preclude that.

And I still laugh like hell about "fair"

The rules are the same for everyone, and even though the conspiricy theories are running rampant, everyone had the same rules at the Winters.

So stick yer polls up yer azz.

REX

Well, like I just said, I would have my views if I were against 99% of the people (which is where I'm more comfortable, anyways!). I don't LIKE being in the majority because it makes it feel too easy. I envy your position, numbers-wise.

Yes, I do think fair is what should be strived for. An even playing field. It's what I like about each round. If every atom in each lane could be controlled to be 100% consistently even, it's what I'd want. The unfair things you can't change, you deal with, of course.

I think the championship should be on an equally "as fair as you can get it" playing field. You wouldn't want anyone arbitrarily changing the distances from third base to home for different teams. It wouldn't be "fair."

My idea of fair isn't "You strip the leader's points away and start them all over again in a sport where EVERYONE smokes the tires now and then."

Look, I can see baseball playoffs because the guy should be able to have the same judgement each time a ball's coming at him. We know that nitro tuners are trying to outguess each other each time they're trying to figure out what they can throw at a lane, and how consistent and adjustable their own tuneup is a HUGE factor. What can they do? Go out and skid their shoes on it? It's volatile as it is. Today's winner can be next week's DNQ. Yes, I think they deserve more than a few races to boil down to a champion.

You know what? If the countdown was the traditional way of the NHRA points format & it was changed to what is now the old format, we would hate that too.
I personally don't know which is best. I do know that the countdown is not as much concern as the reason (or the lack of) that it was implemented.
Do I like it? For T/F, no. No offense, but I'm tired of Shoe winning. I would have loved to see Hot Rod win the thing. For F/C yes. I know it would have been Roberts 1st, but it would still mean that a Force car won every year since '92. No offense there either, but it gets old. Tony is family, so of course I'm glad he won it. However, it would have been nice to see Capps get a championship. But he wouldn't have in the old way either. Same thing for P/S classes.
Bottom line though, everyone raced in the same countdown, no one had a particular advantage, it is what it is.
As fans, we don't really have much of a say. Just a simple decision, take it or leave it. That decision will soon prove if the countdown was a good idea or not.

96 people have voted and it's running even more in favor than in the last poll. Wouldn't nearly ten to one being against the Countdown factor in as being one of the "facts" you've been waiting for?

I would like to see a survey of people that are not all diehard fans of the sport. I am a fan of NASCAR, but I would not call myself a diehard and I am sure my views on NASCAR are different then the diehards. By the way, I do not have any tattoos on my body. We can say whatever we want, but the people who opinions that really do matter reside in Glendora, CA. Why don't you go poll Glendora and see what the results are:D.

You know what? If the countdown was the traditional way of the NHRA points format & it was changed to what is now the old format, we would hate that too.

I strongly disagree. I give the people here more credit than that. Again, the people against the countdown have stated their REASONS for being against it. Never once have I seen one of those reasons being "I just don't like change, period."

I think the same reasons people are giving for not wanting to get away from the old system would be given for going to it if it were the other way around. I don't think it's based in emotion. I will edit and add this. It DOES seem to me that some supporters of the Countdown are doing it based on emotion. Otherwise they could stay on reasons and off of people.

Like I said, if NHRA could increase purses to the point that pro level drag racing could be profitable without a single sponsor on the car, I think that's a change people would be in favor of.

If they lowered purses from where they are now, I think they'd be against it.

It's not JUST that it would be change.

Last edited:
I would like to see a survey of people that are not all diehard fans of the sport. I am a fan of NASCAR, but I would not call myself a diehard and I am sure my views on NASCAR are different then the diehards. By the way, I do not have any tattoos on my body. We can say whatever we want, but the people who opinions that really do matter reside in Glendora, CA. Why don't you go poll Glendora and see what the results are:D.

and then lets see how much money those casual fans put into the sport via the die hards who travel to the races, who make sure to buy on a personal and business level from companies that sponsor drag racing, who diligently watch the programming, who buy the souvenirs.

The NHL assumed those die hards would always be there but many of them have been chased off by their changes. Baseball suffered huge blows that took years to bounce back from. Those sports didn't have alternatives as we do. I spent more time checking out local and other sanctioning bodies this season. You know what I am a drag racing fan not an nhra fan.

Is your casual fan that you are after going to embrace the sport enough to support it financially to make up for the die hards that may look elsewhere?

and then lets see how much money those casual fans put into the sport via the die hards who travel to the races, who make sure to buy on a personal and business level from companies that sponsor drag racing, who diligently watch the programming, who buy the souvenirs.

The NHL assumed those die hards would always be there but many of them have been chased off by their changes. Baseball suffered huge blows that took years to bounce back from. Those sports didn't have alternatives as we do. I spent more time checking out local and other sanctioning bodies this season. You know what I am a drag racing fan not an nhra fan.

Is your casual fan that you are after going to embrace the sport enough to support it financially to make up for the die hards that may look elsewhere?

I used to travel 100 miles to come to Bristol before I moved here.

I hate the countdown but still love NHRA drag racing. Ron, when I was in NY my dad and I used to be only 90 minutes away from E-town. Now that we're down in Hurricaneville, we are 5 1/2 hrs away from G-ville but still make the trip every year. The countdown isn't going to stop us.

I hate the countdown but still love NHRA drag racing. Ron, when I was in NY my dad and I used to be only 90 minutes away from E-town. Now that we're down in Hurricaneville, we are 5 1/2 hrs away from G-ville but still make the trip every year. The countdown isn't going to stop us.

Yeah, I'm a crack...ahem...nitro...addict. They could screw up pretty badly and I'd still go fork my money over.

"$1,000 a a ticket!!! This is bullsh*t!....one hundred, two hundred..." :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back