NHRA announces jet car program expansion for 2017 season (1 Viewer)

Always loved the jets. OCIR used to have an all jet and rocket show. I had a chance to buy a jet car operation, but I just couldn't convince my wife it would not be a bad idea to raise our three kids in the back seat of a dually.

If they're smart they will make it a pro class right there next to TF and FC. Those three classes are what will take our sport to the next level! The cars are incredibly safe and affordable (for a professional class vehicle) that 32 car fields would be necessary for all the cars that would be built!

Saw the Larson Motorsports cars at Indy last year. I've always loved the jet cars. I've got a nice video. If I have time, I'll try and get it posted.

They're fun to photograph, but challenging too.

Attachments

• _4BB6637.jpg
    _4BB6637.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
  • BB2_4253.jpg
    BB2_4253.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • BB2_6357.jpg
    BB2_6357.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 36
Always loved the jets. OCIR used to have an all jet and rocket show. I had a chance to buy a jet car operation, but I just couldn't convince my wife it would not be a bad idea to raise our three kids in the back seat of a dually.

I would buy one, but I just don't have the money to burn ....

:p

What artificial "speed limit" are you referring to?
Years ago NHRA wanted them to stay below 300 mph for whatever reason(s), which is why you see so many of them click it off before the finish line. I seem to remember one pass years ago that was 316 mph and I haven't seen a speed that fast since.

Last edited:
I think the speed limit was meant to make sure they didn't steal the thunder from the fuel classes.

They'll need to run at the end of every race day once ALL of the wheel driven vehicles are done.

Track becomes an instant ice rink after they run.

I've read more than once that many drivers have reported that the track is usually in pretty good shape after the jet cars run. It seems they blow off a lot of dirt and loose material.

Years ago NHRA wanted them to stay below 300 mph for whatever reason(s), which is why you see so many of them click it off before the finish line. I seem to remember one pass years ago that was 316 mph and I haven't seen a speed that fast since.

I did notice the early shut offs. Never thought about it being intentional. I guess I wrote it off as bad judgement of the stripe.

I always liked Richard Schroeder's jet powered Ford Focus wagon called "Focus This."

I had asked him once what it was like to drive and he said just point it and let it roll. Meaning there was no torque or rearend, so it will always go straight.

I always enjoy them, we have Night of Thunder here at National Trails, it is about 5 miles from me.
Even though they can run the speed, I think their et is slower.

At the track in Baton Rouge(when it was NHRA) maybe 10 years or longer, a jet car driver said screw the limit and he was going to run it all the way wide open. I don't remember what the run was but it was well over 300 and 2 weeks later in National Dragster it was printed that he was suspended.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back