NHRA announces jet car program expansion for 2017 season (1 Viewer)

Oh goody... jets... :mad:
Jeff I can understand you not enjoying jets I'm not that interested in them either, but what I don't understand is why it would make you mad if others that does enjoy them gets that chance. It just means that you get to leave the track ahead of all the traffic. A win win for everyone.:)

Jeff I can understand you not enjoying jets I'm not that interested in them either, but what I don't understand is why it would make you mad if others that does enjoy them gets that chance. It just means that you get to leave the track ahead of all the traffic. A win win for everyone.:)
That resentment comes from having to run after the Jets at events in the 70's and 80's when there was a lot of match racing still going on, and some in the 90's.
One of the guys who helped us would say that "the track was slicker than greased owl shit".
It did cost us a few races...

That resentment comes from having to run after the Jets at events in the 70's and 80's when there was a lot of match racing still going on, and some in the 90's.
One of the guys who helped us would say that "the track was slicker than greased owl shit".
It did cost us a few races...
I can understand that.

So long as they are the last thing down the track each night, it shouldn't be a problem. But gawd they're boring....kinda like a fireworks show. Yeah, neat the first couple of times, but after that, there's nothing new to see, IMO.

I thought the speed limit was for rocket cars, not jets.
No, it was definitely for the jets. I've never seen a rocket car run in my 45 years on earth but I've seen a ton of jets. I don't even remember when the "speed limit" was enacted by NHRA, sometime in the 90's?

I'd love to know the insurance company that would underwrite a race track liability policy for jet cars with no speed limit. Maybe Farmers. Than they could make a commercial with J K Simmons.. "jet cars flying into the next county..we've seen a thing or two" or maybe Allstate with that mayhem guy.

If they're smart they will make it a pro class right there next to TF and FC. Those three classes are what will take our sport to the next level! The cars are incredibly safe and affordable (for a professional class vehicle) that 32 car fields would be necessary for all the cars that would be built!

I feel like one day a company like Red Bull is going to come along and see Jet Dragsters and say that makes a hell of a lot of sense for a pro entertainment class, especially if drag racing ever looked at developing some kind of world series. Then maybe take them and run with them. It could be comparable to Monster Jam.
1 - Easy to transport, not nearly as much infrastructure needed as a fuel team.
2 - Tracks don't have to be prepped to within an inch of their lives, suitable for temporary venues like runways maybe? Opens up a lot more options in terms of locations to race them around the world or even just in the USA.
3 - Kids freaking love them. Build each car an identity and watch merchandise sales go nuts.
4 - Simple and quick turnarounds. If you had 32 cars you could just about run jets all night, broken up only with more entertainment.
5 - Run bonus points for spectacular fire shows.
6 - They look spectacular to your average Joe. You don't need to explain it - it's a jet powered car!
7 - Cheaper to run so long as the series controlled performances and focused on a show rather than ET gains.

I think the speed limit is NHRA mandated. I asked Elaine Larsen about it and she told me that the speed limit is there because they don't want people with a lot of money but not that much brainpower starting a jet operation and subsequently hurting themselves or someone else.

Funny story...In my day, I was notorious for "breaching" track security....even at marquee NHRA National Events, and getting down to the starting line during the pro sessions and elims....fine print: I was younger and stupid and I do not condone this behavior AT ALL.
So once, I thought I was Mr. Cool, by weazaling my way down thru the lanes, intentionally - and wrongfully - appearing as a "Crew Guy" behind the tower, blending in with a Jet Crew who was prepping to make a pass. There we were, in the waterbox. I hung behind and blended in, as the smoke started, the turbine spooled.....I thought I was a badass. Then, all hell broke loose. I was in a white out, disoriented, after burner booms... and was blinded by white smoke. I was the only human in sight, except - assumingly, the driver....Amber and green lights...click click boom....the ground started shaking.........and it was over. The smoke cleared and I made it out alive. True story! True and dumb. Kids...and you adults.. don't try this at home. Watch these cars from the grandstands!!!

I gotta admit, I get a kick out of them to cap off a day of racing. At Bakersfield, I can sit in the smoker's bleacher when they send a jet car down. A unique experience; love it. I see them at Vegas too.

I enjoy watching them....just not from behind. The burner pops can be pretty brutal in the tower, moving equipment around and breaking windows. In Brainerd last year, John Force brought his grand kids up to the media center (which is track side) to watch the jet cars. He had tried having them watch from the tower, and not only did the noise and flexing windows scare the kids, you really can't see much of the runs from behind because of all of the smoke.

They also draw fans, particularly to divisional events.

Charlie Allen loved them...booked them into his divisional race in January, the one he called the Super Bowl of Drag Racing. Was probably 1988, we were in the lanes waiting to make our last time trial session, probably around 9pm. A pair of jets run with the one in the right lane blowing some fuel line off and proceeded to actually set the track on fire for about 100' or so. Burned the rubber off right down to the concrete.

Needless to say we were done for the night because of his desire to run exhibition cars over the cars that paid the back gate.

If they're smart they will make it a pro class right there next to TF and FC. Those three classes are what will take our sport to the next level! The cars are incredibly safe and affordable (for a professional class vehicle) that 32 car fields would be necessary for all the cars that would be built!

I hear they leave Kerosene or whatever Fuel they use all over the track!

entertain the fans, and jet cars in small doses at nat. events do exactly that.....great move nhra.
last august saw jets @ BIR for first time in over 20 years....no one left their seats and mite even say they cheered louder
for them than the nitro cars.

I enjoy watching them....just not from behind. The burner pops can be pretty brutal in the tower, moving equipment around and breaking windows. In Brainerd last year, John Force brought his grand kids up to the media center (which is track side) to watch the jet cars. He had tried having them watch from the tower, and not only did the noise and flexing windows scare the kids, you really can't see much of the runs from behind because of all of the smoke.
As a kid I remember the announcers in the tower at Cordova would press up against the windows with their hands to keep the windows from flexing so much and possibly breaking.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back