NHRA announces jet car program expansion for 2017 season (1 Viewer)

I think the speed limit is NHRA mandated. I asked Elaine Larsen about it and she told me that the speed limit is there because they don't want people with a lot of money but not that much brainpower starting a jet operation and subsequently hurting themselves or someone else.
That already exists with a speed limit.

Used to love to watch the jets from behind. Started at OCIR when we go out behind the fence behind staging and climb up and watch. Then at Palmdale we would stand at the very back of staging. I used to say if you didn't wreak of kerosene on the way home you hadn't really seen the jet show.

Years ago we were in Hockingheim Germany for the races. After dinner on Saturday they have something called "the show". They run anything you can imagine down the track. We were walking back to our room and I noticed a jet funny car sitting back in staging. Told my wife, go on to the hotel (there is a 5 star hotel in the pits), I was going to stay and watch. I walked out behind the jet and saw 5 German policemen also out behind the car but much closer. I knew how far back to stand. They started it up, and the first burner pop, the German cops disappeared. I stood out there watching wondering what the Germans thought of that crazy guy standing out there.

Last edited:
The name of the game is it's all about putting on a better show for the fans and this move makes the show attract more people who like see the jet engine cars.
In the interest of appealing to a wider group of people other then just drag racers I believe the N.H.R.A. will be making more moves like this in the future.

I think many of us remember when many circle tracks added sky diver's, Thrill Show drivers, fire work shows, and motorcycle jumpers to their shows in order to attract more people to come out.

In today's world people have a wide section of things to do and spend their money on so it really makes a great deal of sense to add things to the show to make it appeal to more people.

Just my opinion.
Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

While a teenager, I used to assist the track photographer at Ct. dragway. Jets were running that day-he told me " go shoot pics down around the first turn off-just make sure you get down on your belly." I was a bit upset that I wouldn't get to see the smoke + fire but I went to the shut off area and waited. I hear them leave the line and get the camera ready. They cross the line + pop the chute.WOW!! At the time, jet cars were pretty heavy-and had really large parachutes. Big enough that when they popped the chute, It would lift the car right off the ground! Trying to get the shot while awestruck I got up off the ground-and almost got blasted away by the wind shear of the chute!
This isn't my picture-but posted to show the effect. .
JET-DOUG-CHUTE-OUT_lg.jpg

Well if NHRA needs to go backwards to move forward, maybe they should contact "Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids" to play after qualifying at Pomona.

"Tastes GREAT!!!"......"LESS FILLING!!!".....locals 'member that one?!

They had not run rockets in the USA for a long time. The race grade fuel was no longer available. Europe still runs them as the guys have some sort of still where they can refine normal Hydogen Peroxide into racing grade.

Couple of years ago the ManCup folks that run the all motorcycle events brought Frenchman Eric Tubal over with his rocket bike. They found someone in Colorado I believe that had fuel. Got to watch this in person as Eric ran an early shutoff 5.11 at 264 mph The fastest two wheel quarter mile pass ever. Used every bit of Bradenton real estate to get it stopped.

As a young kid growing up in the 70's,Doug Rose's shop was across the alley from my dad's. Richard Schroeder's was next to Doug's and Frank Hazar's Race Car Specialties was next door to us. Jim Hume who did a lot of the tin work was around the corner as well as Nick Nickerson who is a master fabricator (still at it and currently doing contract work for TRO).

It was a cool time to be able o run around all these guys shops as a kid. Doug once even showed us his wooden legs.

I understand Doug and the car is still around these days.

It was a cool time to be able o run around all these guys shops as a kid. Doug once even showed us his wooden legs.
I remember hearing over the PA many years ago that he was 4'6" without his legs and 6'4" with them. There's also a story of a diner, a knife and a waitress almost passing out. :D

I remember hearing over the PA many years ago that he was 4'6" without his legs and 6'4" with them. There's also a story of a diner, a knife and a waitress almost passing out. :D
I remember Beserko Bob telling that story at Atco when I was a kid.

Funny story...In my day, I was notorious for "breaching" track security....even at marquee NHRA National Events, and getting down to the starting line during the pro sessions and elims....fine print: I was younger and stupid and I do not condone this behavior AT ALL.
So once, I thought I was Mr. Cool, by weazaling my way down thru the lanes, intentionally - and wrongfully - appearing as a "Crew Guy" behind the tower, blending in with a Jet Crew who was prepping to make a pass. There we were, in the waterbox. I hung behind and blended in, as the smoke started, the turbine spooled.....I thought I was a badass. Then, all hell broke loose. I was in a white out, disoriented, after burner booms... and was blinded by white smoke. I was the only human in sight, except - assumingly, the driver....Amber and green lights...click click boom....the ground started shaking.........and it was over. The smoke cleared and I made it out alive. True story! True and dumb. Kids...and you adults.. don't try this at home. Watch these cars from the grandstands!!!

and he was known as "wilt" ever since.....:p

When the jets came out at the end of the Keystone nats, we all would tear ass for the parking lots to try and beat the traffic out.

There's sex in the cackle of the nitro motors....the jets were just noise

Couple of years ago the ManCup folks that run the all motorcycle events brought Frenchman Eric Tubal over with his rocket bike. They found someone in Colorado I believe that had fuel. Got to watch this in person as Eric ran an early shutoff 5.11 at 264 mph The fastest two wheel quarter mile pass ever. Used every bit of Bradenton real estate to get it stopped.

Eric Teboul has gone over 280mph on his rocket bike at Santa Pod. The late and lamented Sammy Miller and his Vanishing Point FC ran 3.58 at an alleged 386mph (some doubts expressed over the speed) there as long ago as 1984 -- quickest/fastest quartermile pass ever recorded anywhere on a dragstrip.

I believe the powers that be didn't want jets outrunning the Nitro kings so that is when the speed limit came into play. Wasn't Roger Gustin big on that when they formed the Jet car group? I remember reading on it several years ago but can't remember the details now.

Was at a track once when the speed limit was accidentally broken, quickly became a scoreboard malfunction lol

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back