Burk's Blast....Interesting (1 Viewer)

hellfirejim

Nitro Member
I just read Burk's blast on DRO and he made an interesting point. Simply put he said take the blowers off the Fuel cars... I know the imediate reaction is OH NO Not the Blowers!!!!!:eek::eek:

But I suggest you read what he has to say. So the blowers come off and then what??? Do we lose the flames.... nope Do we gain 100% nitro back again.... yep.

Being old enough I remember the A/FC cars the used to run all over the east coast circuits. What a show. Hardly every broke, close competition and hard runners.

Something else to consider. Back aways there was a question about having a inject nitro funny in TAFC. The response was tremendous in a positive manner.

Something else to consider. It could end all the problems in TAD & TAFC as that class would revert back to blown alky only.

Yeah it is radical and honestly something i hadn't considered but why not??? The car count would shoot to the moon. Imagine 32 car fields in each class with the first round of eliminations on saturday night after 3 rounds of qualifications.

Just wondering what you thought?????

jim

ps: I should have put the link in but I am at work... Shhhh don't tell anybody...:D

If Jeff Burk really thinks A/Fuel sells like Top Fuel than I want to know who his drug dealer is!

Yep it's a great idea! I've noticed how great the attendance is at the division races and how every fan stays in the stands and sits on the edge of their seat in anticipation of the A/FDs at the national races. I'm sure every sponsor and fan would welcome it....SNORE...uh...sorry!

BTW before you start, I'm not trying to take anything away from the A/FDs or disparage them in anyway, they just won't replace the AA/ class.

Yep it's a great idea! I've noticed how great the attendance is at the division races and how every fan stays in the stands and sits on the edge of their seat in anticipation of the A/FDs at the national races. I'm sure every sponsor and fan would welcome it....SNORE...uh...sorry!

BTW before you start, I'm not trying to take anything away from the A/FDs or disparage them in anyway, they just won't replace the AA/ class.

John you had me worried there for a second....:p Blowers and Nitro made this sport, and A/Fuel is Minor league Fuel racing! Comparing the two is like comparing Comp and pro stock!

Hmmmm...didn't a couple of people from Texas suggest 1000' foot racing and/or no blowers back in July of 2004?

Top Fuel=quickest and fastest class in drag racing.
Funny Car=most exciting nitro class in drag racing.

There are no other criteria needed...no blowers, no nitro percentages, no wings, no bodies, track lengths, nothing. So long as your top-billed classes are as advertised then the method of achieving that goal is irrelevant!

Going the injected route solves almost as many problems as AA/Dale's compression ratio/overdrive plan. It could eliminate the parity problems in TAD, slows the cars down, reduces expenses, there is already technology in place, there are a BUNCH of teams ready to jump into the pro ranks, and has proven to be a very, very "clean" combination. A/FD's make fire. A/FD's sound like no other race car in the world. A/FD's smell great.

Hmmmm...didn't a couple of people from Texas suggest 1000' foot racing and/or no blowers back in July of 2004?

Top Fuel=quickest and fastest class in drag racing.
Funny Car=most exciting nitro class in drag racing.

There are no other criteria needed...no blowers, no nitro percentages, no wings, no bodies, track lengths, nothing. So long as your top-billed classes are as advertised then the method of achieving that goal is irrelevant!

Going the injected route solves almost as many problems as AA/Dale's compression ratio/overdrive plan. It could eliminate the parity problems in TAD, slows the cars down, reduces expenses, there is already technology in place, there are a BUNCH of teams ready to jump into the pro ranks, and has proven to be a very, very "clean" combination. A/FD's make fire. A/FD's sound like no other race car in the world. A/FD's smell great.

Sorry Wes, but your totally NUTZ if you think that Jon Doe race can't tell the difference?

Blowers and Nitro made this sport, and A/Fuel is Minor league Fuel racing!

Joe...let's see you say that directly to the people that pour their entire lives into A/Fuel racing. Or are you too busy taking pictures of barely-clad promo girls at the races to take the time?

Fact: Blowers were not common place in the beginnings of "Top Fuel" eliminator. 6 Stromberg 97's were the only way for a long time.

Fact: Remember the nitro ban? Drag racing seemed to survive it quite well.

Fact: People made this sport, not inanimate objects.

Your sad devotion to your notion of what drag racing is supposed to be is the very same attitude that has got us to where we are today. Unsafe, too damned expensive, and less side-by-side racing than Comp or Pro Stock.

I have nothing against the alky guys, they are great racers and I have met alot of really nice people thru there ranks but to think that alky could replace nitro is about the most stupid idea ever. Joe is right. They gave away tickets to the divisional race and had 5k people show up. It just aint the same. It would be the death of the NHRA as we know it today. I dont like the 1000 ft idea at all, but I will gladly take nitro at 330 ft before I take alky at 1320 ft.

The top nitro classes are based on Nitro thunder and flames. If you add in the clutch management systems and such you will have 4.80 to 4.90 cars at about 300 mph with the injected cars. Also don't forget you would also get the cackle of 100% Nitro. So many have this knee jerk reaction without thinking about the possibilities..... It is not the BLOWER that is the deal here it is the nitro. If there were no score boards nobody would care or be able to tell a 320 from a 305 run. Or a 4.60 pass from a 4.80 pass IF the competition was close.

Also consider much larger fields of cars. Also consider the TAD and TAFC would then return to alky only. Everybody returns to the classes that they were originally.

I havve been there and I have seen the injected funnys run and when the competition gets hot it doesn't matter if the have a blower or not. Nitro is Nitro and flames are flames and 100% is still 100%.....

The world is different, if we want to remain at the sacred 1320 ft then this might be a way to go and to dismiss it out of hand just because that's not the way we did is absurd. Have you compared old funnys of the 70's and today's funnys??? How could you possibly stand to watch them because they are not as they were???? Or Top Fuel, an even more dramatic difference. Racing is still racing and NOTHING beats a good close side by side safe race.....

My opinion is this- Ok slow the cars down, but let's try to make it as friendly as possible. By friendly, I mean let's try not to obsolete a bunch of parts and equipment the teams already have- Like blowers, spare blower parts, belts, not to mention the blower dynos several teams have. (read $$$) The Dale Armstrong article is still making the most sense in my opinion.

The top nitro classes are based on Nitro thunder and flames. If you add in the clutch management systems and such you will have 4.80 to 4.90 cars at about 300 mph with the injected cars. Also don't forget you would also get the cackle of 100% Nitro. So many have this knee jerk reaction without thinking about the possibilities..... It is not the BLOWER that is the deal here it is the nitro. If there were no score boards nobody would care or be able to tell a 320 from a 305 run. Or a 4.60 pass from a 4.80 pass IF the competition was close.

It amazes me just how people want to water this sport down to nothing! You want A/Fuel racing there are plenty of LODRS races out there not to mention the Natl. events they compete at. Don't like watching Top Fuel, stick with A/Fuel.

I just read Burk's blast on DRO and he made an interesting point. Simply put he said take the blowers off the Fuel cars... I know the imediate reaction is OH NO Not the Blowers!!!!!:eek::eek:

But I suggest you read what he has to say. So the blowers come off and then what??? Do we lose the flames.... nope Do we gain 100% nitro back again.... yep.

Being old enough I remember the A/FC cars the used to run all over the east coast circuits. What a show. Hardly every broke, close competition and hard runners.

Something else to consider. Back aways there was a question about having a inject nitro funny in TAFC. The response was tremendous in a positive manner.

Something else to consider. It could end all the problems in TAD & TAFC as that class would revert back to blown alky only.

Yeah it is radical and honestly something i hadn't considered but why not??? The car count would shoot to the moon. Imagine 32 car fields in each class with the first round of eliminations on saturday night after 3 rounds of qualifications.

Just wondering what you thought?????

jim

ps: I should have put the link in but I am at work... Shhhh don't tell anybody...:D

To big of a field wouldn't work for TV which is the avenue NHRA is using to get exposure.
For the fan at the race it would be pretty awesome.

I'm sorry, but their is just no way 32 cars in each class will show up just because they don't have to buy a blower. Its just way too expensive to get a car and crew to all the races for 16 more cars to show up out of nowhere. And I don't think that all the Afuel guys will be suddenly able to make all the races. Most just make local divisonal races and many are cutting back on that this year with the coast of travel. And to change their tune up. Look at what happens when they have to make a few percent nitro change, let alone a wholesale combo change.
I agree that Dale has some of the best ideas so far.

Last edited:
Gotta have the blower. No one is saying that it has to spin as fast as it does now.

Mark

Gotta have the blower. No one is saying that it has to spin as fast as it does now.

Mark

I agree. If you look at the average performance (TF & FC) during most of 1985-86, then compare to 1987-88. Most of the track records dropped 2-3 tenths and speed increased ~15 MPH. The progress with the multi-stage clutch accounted for most of the gain. Take some clutch out along with compression and blower O.D. and that will be a good start.

It amazes me just how people want to water this sport down to nothing! You want A/Fuel racing there are plenty of LODRS races out there not to mention the Natl. events they compete at. Don't like watching Top Fuel, stick with A/Fuel.

I don't think ANYONE dislikes watching Top Fuel or Funny Car. What most of us (you, excluded, Joe) is long-term viability for the industry and living, breathing stars of the sport. We're not only dealing with safety issues now. With the bad decisions made over the past decade we're now faced with exponetially increasing costs to the teams that make up the show. You want to compare cost of operation between a current nitro team and a hard-running A/FD team? Stunningly less even with purchasing the same nitro.

What amazes me is that someone that professes to attending over 150 races (as a fan) can't see the logic in taking steps to ensuring he has 150 more races to attend. Show me statistical evidence that adopting AA/Dale's plan or even this one would kill the sport. Doing nothing and keeping your cherished 337 MPH and 1320 will water the sport into a memory.

Is A Drug Test Required Before You Can Post On This Site? Just Curious Because THIS Is Crazy, No Blowers Is No Fans Period, No Fans Equals No Income For Nhra. I Have Forwarded A Vile Of My Urine For Analysis!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back