BIG speeds in pro stock (1 Viewer)

Bob

Nitro Member
Not to derail the diving threads, but does any one remember or have the back issue of ND where WJ (among others) was remarking on what kind of HP it would take to run 205 or 210? I am getting old and memory (among other things) is starting to fade. I do remember him saying something to the effect we would never see these speeds. (I think) It was a few years back at either the start of the season or year end when the pro's made their predictions. Be interesting to go back and read some of these predictions now huh?:eek:

As far as I am concerned, it's all good. But to compare a naturally aspirated motor to exotic pieces? c'mon, thats comparing top fuel to jr dragsters. Maybe I am getting old, I still remember where this sport started, do you kids?

On the cusp of 6.40's???

All the Pro Stock haters can say what they want, but if you can't appreciate what these guys are extracting out of 500 inches without the bottle or a belt then I'm not sure what to tell you.............:confused:

Sean D

On the cusp of 6.40's???

All the Pro Stock haters can say what they want, but if you can't appreciate what these guys are extracting out of 500 inches without the bottle or a belt then I'm not sure what to tell you.............:confused:

Sean D

I felt the same with pro stock trucks going 7.30's with small block and no bottle or belt. Good racing, but huge lack of excitement.

I felt the same with pro stock trucks going 7.30's with small block and no bottle or belt. Good racing, but huge lack of excitement.

Heaven forbid we should be concerned with racing in motorsports! I guess we should rename what we like motorexcitement and watch the kind of pileups that you get at restrictor plate races.

I don't know, Paul; I kinda' liked the trucks too. The racing was pretty close for the most part and the trucks very much resembled their street brethren. I dig the sound of a high-windin' small block anyway.

Sean D

On the cusp of 6.40's???

Sean D

I have the pleasure of having the IHRA Nationals in my backyard, so I get a dose of the 800+ Pro Stockers every year hitting 6.3's at 220+

But when you realize the NHRA PS'ers have 300+ less cubes and are only a tick behind, it makes you truly appreciate what ALL of these teams do.
Most armchair crew chiefs may think they know about PS, just like I did. Well, I had about 50% of it somewhat correct. I was schooled about the setups in these cars this past weekend at VMP and I have a whole new level of respect for everyone who succeed's or tries to succeed in NHRA PS.

On the cusp of 6.40's???

Sean D

Great point Sean! It doesn't seem to long ago that the first "7.0" was the target the entire class was shooting for. Then, the first six second run, then an entire qualifying field in the sixes. Now we're running over a half second quicker.

It's simply amazing what these teams are doing with gasoline and carbs. These have to be among the most efficient engines in the sport.

I love Pro Mod too, but ProStock was very exciting and impressive this weekend. I would love to know the HP necessary to run 212+, I believe these guys are over 1400 now, no? My dad used to have one of those little wheels that you could line up the variables, such as weight, HP, E.T. , speed etc., and you would spin it around and line up the numbers you knew, and it would give the variable you were looking for. I know I'm explaining it badly, but now there is software for that type of calculation.

I love Pro Mod too, but ProStock was very exciting and impressive this weekend. I would love to know the HP necessary to run 212+, I believe these guys are over 1400 now, no?

I'm sure they aren't super accurate, but the online calculators are all 1700+ HP. That works out to over 3.4 HP/CI which is pretty darn impressive. Even if they "only" have 1400 HP that is 2.8 HP/CI which is still pretty darn impressive.

I'm certainly no expert either, but I would tend to doubt the 1,700 number too, Fred. Between Yates, Richards, Reinhart and Ferri, surely someone could accurately chime in on this number.

Guys??

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back