Stopping Street Racing on YouTube (1 Viewer)

clwill

Nitro Member
A number of good ideas have been brought up in various forums about how to convince people to stop illegal street racing. Phil Burgess wrote eloquently about it in National Dragster recently, suggesting several steps that could be taken. He noted the hard work that NHRA is doing to promote legal drag racing, as well as trying to work to get the word out about safety. He also advocated that we all work to correct media outlets when they misuse the term "drag racing" when they mean "illegal street racing", among other things.

But I was just looking around on YouTube, and it looks like that's a key front in this war. It's just covered with videos of people doing truly stupid things on the public roads. There are videos of illegal street races, of idiots doing outrageous speeds on public roads, and of all kinds of other "drag races". It seems to me that a concerted effort to remove these videos would dramatically reduce the "cool" factor, and maybe cut down on the popularity of these exceptionally dangerous acts.

I'm a very strong believer in the right to free speech, but it doesn't extend to yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. And it doesn't extend to YouTube which has rules such as:

• Don't post videos showing bad stuff like animal abuse, drug abuse, or bomb making.
  • Graphic or gratuitous violence is not allowed. If your video shows someone getting hurt, attacked, or humiliated, don't post it.
  • YouTube is not a shock site. Don't post gross-out videos of accidents, dead bodies and similar things.

How do you think we and the NHRA can create awareness around this, and can get YouTube to pull these videos? Or do you think they should be pulled?

Then all the videos would move over to Streetfire.net (where they are probably already posted). You gonna shut down a whole site like Streetfire?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back