ESPN, NHRA and YouTube are really cracking down (1 Viewer)

Thank god they removed the crash. It is something I NEVER want to see again.

I do wish that the NHRA would post the starting line tribute on their website. I have watched that touching moment several times. That was a proper tribute to Scott and the team.

I was just looking out my office window and there was a long cloud........I believe that was Scott doing his burnout!

I'm glad they are gone as well. Unfortunately most who see it, look at it strictly from a "thrills and spills" stand point and can't even begin to understand the magnitude of what it really represents. :eek:

But on a nicer note, I saw a very nice video tribute that someone created in Scotty's memory. I believe it is called "The Photos, the Music and the Memories of Scott Kalitta". I think that it was tastefully done and really enjoyed seeing it. :):)

Point is, whether it's your camera or not, the "performer" or sanctioning body in this case, owns the rights to all content. It even says in the rulebook that any photos or videos taken at an event are property of the sanctioning body.

Actually, NHRA could just ban all still and video cameras alltogether if they wanted to.

We've got the USGA Ladies U.S. Open in town here this weekend, and they did exactly that. Not even cell phones are allowed. And only partly because they make noise. Most phones have cameras, and they're strictly enforcing the "no pictures or videos" rule. Anyone caught taking pictures will be immediately removed.

Edit: By the way, I have not personally seen video of the accident. Don't plan to, don't need to. Not trying to be superior or sanctimonious about it. I just don't want to see it, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Are the videos just totally gone, or are the little thumbnails with the description still there? I ask because while I'm not a youtube power user, I've noticed that many homemade non-copyrighted videos say, "Video no longer available". But the thumbnail is still there.

I don't get any thrill out of watching it. It haunts me. After seeing it the first time, I watched it a few times trying to understand what happened. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Thank god they removed the crash. It is something I NEVER want to see again.

I do wish that the NHRA would post the starting line tribute on their website. I have watched that touching moment several times. That was a proper tribute to Scott and the team.

I was just looking out my office window and there was a long cloud........I believe that was Scott doing his burnout!

Susie Q, It is over at Papa John's site
John Force Racing
Your Brothers, Hillary, the Cowboys, Glen...

Robert did the right thing.

d'kid

Thank you Karl. I looked the other day and they had the youtube version, but I guess they got the version from ESPN & NHRA. I am glad that it is out there.

Today is going to be a hard day on all of them, so keep sending your love to them all. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I don't get any thrill out of watching it. It haunts me. After seeing it the first time, I watched it a few times trying to understand what happened. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with it. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be judgmental or anything. I just have have no personal need to see it.

I was at Brainerd when John Hagen had his fatal crash. I was near the finish line and had a close-up view. Still haunts me to this day.

Point is, whether it's your camera or not, the "performer" or sanctioning body in this case, owns the rights to all content. It even says in the rulebook that any photos or videos taken at an event are property of the sanctioning body.
They can claim what they want but that doesn't mean it'll stand up in court. The fact is the person that took the photo owns the copyright to it automatically, unless they transfer it or sell it to another party.

I think someone alluded to it above, but the videos may be being pulled because of the comments people post and not because of copyright issues...I've seen that happen before

I think someone alluded to it above, but the videos may be being pulled because of the comments people post and not because of copyright issues...I've seen that happen before
In every case I saw there was a redish banner across the top of the page saying the video was no longer available due to copyright. I even got an email saying that it was pulled.
Dear Member:
This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by ESPN, Inc. claiming that this material is infringing:

Robert Hight & Force Racing Pay Tribute to Scott Kalitta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQfM6TxjPY

Please Note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to prevent this from happening, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights, and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, please read the Copyright Tips guide.

If you elect to send us a counter notice, please go to our Help Center to access the instructions.

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.

Sincerely,
YouTube, Inc.
This is the doing of ESPN and NHRA.

They can claim what they want but that doesn't mean it'll stand up in court. The fact is the person that took the photo owns the copyright to it automatically, unless they transfer it or sell it to another party.
Actually, by using a ticket or hardcard to enter an event you are agreeing to give up those rights. The following statement is printed on the back of all NHRA tickets and hardcards.

Registered member said:
You agree not to transmit or publicly distribute any description, picture or reproduction of the event, and any picture, film/tape, writing, drawing, or other depiction/description of the event you make will only be for personal, non-commercial, non-public use. NHRA is the exclusive owner of all rights including copyrights in the the event and any account, description, picture, video, audio, reproduction or other information regarding the event.

Actually, by using a ticket or hardcard to enter an event you are agreeing to give up those rights. The following statement is printed on the back of all NHRA tickets and hardcards.
Do they have a signed contract with my signature? Didn't think so. ;)

Do they have a signed contract with my signature? Didn't think so. ;)

Irrelevant. There is a thing called property rights and you cannot use video or photographs of someone else's property without a signed release from them. The racing that takes place on the track is NHRA's property and the only organization that they assign the rights to is ESPN.

The only time that releases are not necessary is for use in news programming. So a TV station can go to a race with a camera crew, shoot video and air it on the evening news. But that's all they can do with it.

So when you go to an NHRA race and videotape it, you do own the copyright for your particular video. But without a signed release from NHRA and everyone who appears in the video, you can't do a thing with it.

Jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back