BIG speeds in pro stock (1 Viewer)

Bob Larsen said, "predictions from the players at the time, on what they thought would take to do these speeds."

The main ingredient in producing these speeds would be HORSEPOWER.
The most accurate way of determining how much horsepower an engine is putting out, if you're talking drag strip analysis, is trap or, terminal speed. Elapsed times won't give you as accurate a figure because of the large number of variables (bite, gear ratios, clutch engagement, wheel slip, etc.)

So, terminal speed and horsepower output are closely linked in the real world.

Then, Bob said, " I could give an Arkansas razor backs (sic) ass, just what their actual numbers are." (Razorback is one word, BTW...)

So, on the one hand, you say you want to know "what it would take to do these speeds" (which would have to be a horsepower amount, but on the other hand, you say, " I could give an Arkansas razor backs (sic) ass, just what their actual numbers are."

Those two statements effectively cancel each other out. You initially say you want to know, but then, you say you don't care.... Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

What do you REALLY want??? You said, "Sorry Bill, I let my silly curiosity get the better of me." But then, you say you don't CARE... which sounds like you're not curious at all.........

You remind me of the guy who says, "I'm not schizophrenic, and neither am I....";)

Last edited:
Sorry Bill, I let my silly curiosity get the better of me:rolleyes:
My main intent of this post, was to bring up quotes from an older issue of ND concerning predictions from the players at the time, on what they thought would take to do these speeds. If memory serves me, most said it would never happen, I could give an Arkansas razor backs ass, just what their actual numbers are.
So apparently no one has any of these old issues, or are more interested in minutae as it concerns diving protocol. I get it. Maybe I can find a site that is more interested in drag racing. (kinda like this one was at one time 8 or nine years ago.):confused:

Bill, if you are going to quote me, quote the rest as well. I reallydon't care what the actual numbers are. My whole point in this thread was how much has happened since the predictions I was talking about, came out in ND years back. That's all. I am impressed by those that can do the math on HP and speed. :rolleyes: Maybe next time I get a wild hair to ask a question on here, I will draw pikchures. :D
Sorry for all the confusion, I will go track down the old issues and look for myself.

I remember when Pro Stock first went to the 500" rule and they were almost knocking on the 1000 hp mark. That was 25+ years ago. They have made great strides in car development, tires, gearing and the aero package is unreal compared to the 1981 Camaros that broke the 7 second barrier back then.

It has been pretty cool to watch this class evolve over the years. The only real big change from then to now is going from a 4 speed to a 5 speed. All the rest of the components area the same, just completely pushed to the edge in every conceivable way possible.

Tony

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I believe one of the things that really allowed the PS cars to step up was the ability to buzz 500 inch engines to 10K RPM, as I believe when they first went to 500 cubes they were nowhere near that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back