Nitro Blast Off in Vegas! (1 Viewer)

Kenny Bernstein to renew NHRA Funny Car license and unveil Monster Energy Lucas Oil Dodge Charger at Nitro Blast-Off test Jan. 19-21 at The Strip at LVMS

LAS VEGAS – Six-time NHRA world champion Kenny Bernstein electrified the drag racing world last September when he announced he was making a comeback to the sport after retiring in 2003*. Bernstein, who has earned two Top Fuel Dragster championships as well as four Funny Car titles and 69 national-event victories, will return to the driver’s seat Jan. 19-21 at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway during the sixth annual Nitro Blast-off test session for professional NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series teams. Since Bernstein has retired as a driver, he also will have to renew his NHRA Funny Car license in Las Vegas.

A photo of his new Dodge Charger Funny Car, to be sponsored by Monster Energy Drink and Lucas Oil, is not available because it will be unveiled and initially photographed at The Strip at LVMS Jan. 19. The three-day test session is open to the public and drag racing fans will get a sneak peak at their favorite drivers and the new cars before the 2007 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series season begins.

"We will be debuting our Monster Energy/Lucas Oil Funny Car team this season," said Bernstein. "Because we're a new team, it's important for me to get as much seat time as possible, and for the team to find a comfort zone with the tune-up.

"Also very importantly, I will have to renew my license to drive a Funny Car. In order to renew my Funny Car license, I will have to make two runs of 5.50 seconds or quicker and two runs of 250 mph or faster. We hope to accomplish this early in the session so we can concentrate on tune-up combinations."

Bernstein will be joined by the biggest names in professional drag racing, including John Force Racing and Don Schumacher Racing, as Top Fuel Dragster, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle teams fine-tune their entries in preparation for the grueling 2007 NHRA POWERade schedule. ESPN also will be on hand to videotape the test session for future broadcast use.

For more information, please contact The Strip at LVMS’ office at (702) 632-8213 or visit Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Thursday, Jan. 18
9 a.m. – Credential sales and pit gates open for all participants.
2 p.m. – Sportsman tech (in staging) and professional tech.
6 p.m. – Credential sales and tech closed.
9 p.m. – Pits closed (working on cars after 9 p.m. is prohibited).

Friday, Jan. 19 to Sunday, Jan. 21
7 a.m. – Credential sales and pit gates open for all participants.
8 a.m. – Sportsman testing.
10 a.m. – Professional testing begins.
4 p.m. – Sportsman testing concludes.
5 p.m. – Nitro Happy Hour (Top Fuel Dragster and Funny Car only).
6 p.m. – Track closed.
9 p.m. – Pits closed (working on cars after 9 p.m. is prohibited).

Spectator admission
Adult single-day – $20.
Adult weekend super-saver (all 3 days) – $50.
Kids (6-12) single-day – $8.
Kids (6-12) weekend super-saver (all 3 days) – $20.
Kids 5 and under (with paid adult) – Free.

Racer entry fees
NHRA professional categories (car, driver, five crew passes and two parking passes) – $750.
NHRA Sportsman categories (car, driver and one parking pass) – $200.
NHRA Sportsman single-day (car and driver) – $100.

Credentials
Weekend restricted-area pass – $50.
Additional pit parking passes – $30.

Eligible professional categories: Top Fuel Dragster, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Pro Stock Motorcycle, Pro Mod, Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Top Fuel Harley.

Eligible Sportsman categories: Competition Eliminator, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Street, Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, Super Pro Bracket, Pro Bracket, Sportsman Motorcycle.

All teams, all classes will be granted one (1) free oil-down for the weekend. A clean-up charge will apply after second leakage.
No one may enter the facility early for set-up.
Testing will take place on the Monday (Jan. 22) and Tuesday (Jan. 23) following the event as a private track rental. The cost to participate is $500 per car (regardless of class). Payment must be made in the tower each day prior to testing. Testing on the private rental days will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
NHRA “hard cards” (including racer, crew, sponsors and media) will not be honored for this event. All media credential requests must be directed to LVMS Public Relations Manager John Bisci at (702) 632-8231 or [email protected].

PS The "dip" is now like the Dinosaurs........ancient history...............

C ya all there

Cliff

CANCELLED !!!

Hey all - just read on another site that this weekends session in Vegas was cancelled due to impending wicked cold weather. They felt it wasn't safe to run the nitro cars in this cold. Plus getting there (ie thru mountains) might be a bit dicey.

I know this weather front is sending predictions of possible snow down to 1000 feet at the central california coast....:eek:

Welcome to the "high desert." Fortunately, this weekend was a free test period for Strip weekly warriors - the Nitro Blast Off is still a week away and the track has scheduled makeup dates for the regulars.

CANCELLED !!!

Hey all - just read on another site that this weekends session in Vegas was cancelled due to impending wicked cold weather. They felt it wasn't safe to run the nitro cars in this cold. Plus getting there (ie thru mountains) might be a bit dicey.

I know this weather front is sending predictions of possible snow down to 1000 feet at the central california coast....:eek:

Michelle, here's the info from the track management...

Jan. 13-14 test sessions for Short Line Express Markets Jr. Dragster
Series and Jerry's Nugget Championship Drag Racing Series racers
postponed due to weather

LAS VEGAS - The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway's Jan. 13-14 "racer
appreciation test sessions" for participants in the 2006 Jerry's Nugget
Championship Drag Racing Series and 2006 Short Line Express Markets Jr.
Drag Racing Series have been postponed due to weekend weather forecasts
for cold temperatures, wind and rain. Racers who competed in the 2006
Jerry's Nugget Championship Drag Racing Series were to test Saturday and
2006 Short Line Express Markets Jr. Dragster participants were to test
Sunday.

"We have been receiving calls from racers who were concerned about the
weather and the outlook for the weekend doesn't look good," said Chris
Blair. "In the interest of safety, it would not be wise to attempt to
run dragsters down the track under such cold conditions. We felt it
would be best to make the decision now in order to spread the word to
everyone."

Racers in Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman and Motorcycle classes who
participated in the 2006 Jerry's Nugget Championship Drag Racing Series
will be eligible to redeem their free test 'n' tune on Sunday, Jan. 21,
on the final day of the Nitro Blast-Off professional test session. A
special Jr. Dragster test session has been added for Friday, Feb. 16,
from 4-8 p.m., prior to the opening event of the 2007 Short Line Express
Markets Jr. Drag Racing event.

For more information, please contact The Strip at LVMS at (702)
632-8213 or visit www.LVMS.com.

###

............4 degree's up here in Post Falls, Idaho with the wind chill factor, it is going to be 0 or below with wind chill tomorrow morning :eek:

Why did you re-post this. It is NOT the NITRO BLAST OFF that was cancelled. What was cancelled was a test session this weekend for our LVMS weekly racers, This is why the internet is Dangerous!!!!!

Just posting here to restate the facts and kill all rumors: The sixth annual Nitro Blast-Off at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, scheduled for Jan. 19-21, has NOT been cancelled.

We cancelled a Test 'n' Tune session at The Strip for Jan. 13-14 due to weather concerns.

When in doubt, please contact Chris Blair, LVMS' Vice President of Drag Racing Operations ([email protected] or 702-632-8213) or me ([email protected] or 702-632-8231) or visit Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Thank you,
John Bisci
Public Relations Manager
Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Yeah but in 3 weeks I'll be in Phoenix for testing, and your NO where near the racing!:p

It's a tad chilly here in Tokyo, but lots of awesome gear, cars, race queens and just regular women...I love Asia. It's like a mini SEMA show and my feet are killing me.

S/F
D

Is there another test there at the strip on the weekend before Pomona, Thats what I was hearing, All Pro,s Friday thru Tuesday.????

The forecast for Las Vegas this weekend according to weather.com:

Friday High 56 degrees partly cloudy.

Saturday High 48 degrees cloudy, windy, 50% chance of showers

Sunday High 55 degrees cloudy, 30% chance of showers

Looks like Friday will be the day to go!

Is there another test there at the strip on the weekend before Pomona, Thats what I was hearing, All Pro,s Friday thru Tuesday.????

Donnie:
Here is the link to the Strip's schedule. Last Chance Testing Feb 2 - 4 Plus a track rental testing session.

As far as the weather goes, we can always hope for a change between now and then, it could happen. Over the course of a week I have seen the weekend forecast here change quite a bit.

See you there!

Dan

Last edited:
A special note to everyone out there..... drive safe! There's alot of crappy weather all over this great nation of ours right now.

"West bound and down, loaded up and truckin'........."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back