Back to the 1/4 Mile??? (1 Viewer)

IMO there is no way to go back to 1/4 racing without costing a lot. Some of you have said reduce the rear wing. Compared to just 5 years ago they are using no rear wing, and they are going way faster. Others have mentioned Dom Lagana running a 1/4 mile (i was with Del in Qatar where he ran a 1/4 mile in his FC earlier this year). You can do it, but realize a 3.70 run is about the same as a 4.28 1/4 mle run! While Dom's 4.48 338 sounds impressive (and it was) it's still a 1-2/10th's slower than what some of the top qualifiers would be on an average to good track. Some have mentioned limiting blower over drive. When you do that, then you will get like Pro Mod where a trick blower is 35k plus. They are already around 25k and you will be stripping that thing between rounds. You can limit nitro % but then you just run more fuel volume. You can limit fuel volume and then you just run max %. You can limit both and then just run more compression, it just goes on and on. Then if you want to run let's say 335mph max in the 1/4, then depending on what you do, there will be no "top end" charge cause they will be maxxed out on rev limiter by 1/2 track. If you want to see 1/4 mile racing, over 90% nitro, cool bodies, long burnouts etc, just go to a NHRA Heritage Series Nostalgia TF and FC race! (problem solved lol) BTW, I think the racing currently is as close as I have ever seen. Drivers make a bigger difference in the outcome and you have more independents coming out and actually winning a round here and there. Now if we could just get the TV show to give the independents more time, they might be able to get more sponsors!

We can talk all we want about the quarter being the historical standard, but the cars have gotten much faster and, lest we forget, a lot heavier.
This Comp+ article is from 2008; http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/5616-funny-car-weight-debate
Weight was an issue then and now that the cars are even faster, it has become a much bigger factor.
The crew chiefs and parts manufacturers have obviously figured out how to run faster in 1000 feet than when they were running 1320 feet.
Since points are no longer given for setting E.T. or MPH records, there is no reason not to slow the cars.
Plenty of knowledgeable crew chiefs have given input on how to slow the cars. It's time for NHRA to listen to them and implement the changes.
We can either leave everything alone and stay at 1000', or we slow the cars and race 1320. Those are the only two options.
Without the cars being slowed there is no way to return to racing the quarter mile.

I said this before: If going back to 1320 feet means slowing the cars down, why is that exciting? I mean, if someone runs 330 in a 1/4 mile, wouldn't one think, "well that's fast, but last year they were going that fast at 1000 feet"? So what really is the point, to go 320 feet farther yet not go any faster? Let them break 340 and now you may have something, but I don't see that happening. If the cars must be slowed to do this, what is the benefit?

@Alan Reinhart What if there were an index on how fast of mph you could go per track. Evaluate what speed each track could take while ensuring a safe stopping distance. Would the teams only have to rework there clutch setup? It would seem simple enough to just slip the clutch a bit more to ensure a safe speed while maintaining the 1/4 mile experience. Just my thoughts....

So in effect make nitro a bracket or .90 car. Instead of going to the pits during sportsman and pro stock I'll just go to the bar and watch the ladies.

well i was thinking maybe somewhat bigger but not big enough to pull the car in half and as far as the brakes go
One of the benefits of the dual rear brake system is to help slow down heavy race cars without brake fade since the
braking force is split between two calipers on each side of the vehicle. ... The system can take more abuse because of
twice the amount of pads handling the braking. its twice the surface area and yes locking up a tire is not gonna help
so maybe ABS brakes should be tested as well. these are just ideas nothing more
Adding dual brake calipers won't help. If the chute doesn't come out and you are using the brakes to stop you have a problem as the car will start hopping and regaining control is questional. Today's carbon fiber brakes are adequate, it's how the car reacts when the brakes are applied and the tires react like bouncing balls.

well maybe a few drivers should at least try a bigger chute and see if their eyes stay in their head
nobody will know if it will help if they dont try and thats pretty cheap for any team to absorb
dual calipers on the rear should gain a little too 🤔 i think its worth a shot anyway
You couldnt be more wrong!!!

@Alan Reinhart What if there were an index on how fast of mph you could go per track. Evaluate what speed each track could take while ensuring a safe stopping distance. Would the teams only have to rework there clutch setup? It would seem simple enough to just slip the clutch a bit more to ensure a safe speed while maintaining the 1/4 mile experience. Just my thoughts....
So you want to make Fuel Racing, Super Stock by having a breakout system? Come on now!

much to my disappointment, the majority of fans, racers, and the internet seem to fine with the shorter 1000ft racing, so i'm wondering why is this even coming up ? As someone mentioned earlier it's gotta be a person with a lot of money (sponsor etc) that's interested in going back to quarter mile racing or it could be the nhra is finally caving into my 11 year boycott of national events until they put the 320ft back :p~:)~

I would like to see fuel cars go 1/4 at the tracks that are long enough, and slow them down. but I don’t think it would be very good for the sport.

I'm noticing that NHRA seems to be trying some new ideas. Pro Stock being replaced at a few events by MMPS. FSS running a great program. So why not run some 1/4 mile nitro as well? It has been mentioned that NASCAR runs different tracks, which I think adds to the "flavor". If you had some 1000' races and some 1/4 mile that would kinda be the same thing. Why not? Would also like to see a few races where nostalgia cars could run, as Jeff Arend mentioned. Maybe AA/FA as well. Not every race, but do like NHRA is doing with MMPS. Just my 2 cents.

I'm noticing that NHRA seems to be trying some new ideas. Pro Stock being replaced at a few events by MMPS. FSS running a great program. So why not run some 1/4 mile nitro as well? It has been mentioned that NASCAR runs different tracks, which I think adds to the "flavor". If you had some 1000' races and some 1/4 mile that would kinda be the same thing. Why not? Would also like to see a few races where nostalgia cars could run, as Jeff Arend mentioned. Maybe AA/FA as well. Not every race, but do like NHRA is doing with MMPS. Just my 2 cents.

Not saying it wouldn't be cool to see here and there, but the continual comparison to NASCAR is apples and oranges. Those guys over there have crazy budgets that allow the ability to have several cars specifically built for certain tracks, while the budgets for our guys over here struggle to run year-to-year. I would also welcome the idea of seeing some of the nostalgia nitro cars run here and there, especially some fuel altereds.

Sean D

This does not feel sincere or organic. We are stuck with 1000' for a variety of reasons. We now should be vigilant against the wave of 1/8 mile racing growing daily.

While the teams with the bigger budgets may be able to absorb the cost of a change, let's find out what the independents want. Ask Jim Dunn, Scott Palmer, Jeff Diehl or any of the other low buck teams if they support the change. Keep in mind a change could mean these guys quitting and reducing the field sizes even more. Ready for 8 car ladders?

I love how when track prep comes up and someone complains, the masses say "let the crew chiefs tune." Then when the subject of 1,320 comes up "the crew chiefs can't figure it out without spending trillions."

30% traction compound.

Let's race.

😂😂

I would have to agree that I really don't want to see them slow down a lot just for the sake of going back to 1320. I was on the traditionalist's side initially and didn't want to see the move to 1000, but after attending some races, I got used to it pretty quick, personally. Although I do think that a move to the 1/8th like has been discussed would go over the edge.

All 4 of your points are valid, whether anybody likes it or not. So we circle back to the question of what it will ultimately take to get more competitors out there. Is it a conversation solely about operational costs or solely about upping viewership in an effort to attract more marketing partners? Is it a combination of both with some new ideas that nobody has thought about? Who knows. But just like the recent article on Bobby's site clearly stated, there are a ton of egos on each side, and until those egos are parked and people come to the table ready to talk, AND ACT on some viable solutions, it might be a long road getting there.

Sean D
I say leave as is, they need larger pay outs and more car/dragsters will come.

lagana did 338 at martin. somehow there needs to be incentive ($) to best that.......at a non-nhra event......make it worth the while for 4-6 capable TF'rs to show up at a match race event
and get after it to a 1/4 mile......bonus money to best the mph mark......or to say it another way, someone find a track, a non-nat. event date, and enough $$ to attract some teams to
run hard to a 1/4 on a very well prepped surface.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back