NHRA 1/4 mile racing (1 Viewer)

it appears all of the nitro racers are for staying at 1000ft but i'd really like to hear the Pro stock racers opinion on going to 1000ft. I cant imagine any of them would be for it.

I think the 1320 is history for the nitro cars. It really bugged me for quite awhile, lately I'm starting to realize it's not so horrible. We have to realize that these cars are TOTALLY different animals than the fuel cars of sport's early years. Many Comp cars and Top Dragsters are faster than the TF cars of the early years. On top of it all, the track gets shortened to 1000 ft. and the TF cars are running 325mph!! The technology is unreal. I guess if the owners and drivers feel the 1000 ft. deal is safer and saves money, how can any real fan say, "I won't be back" ?

I was thinking a lot about it this weekend....

before the Formula 1 race they were interviewing engineers and team managers about rules changes and what-nots, a couple guys mentioned it was import to keep updating the rules so the cars would continue to be safe on the current tracks they race on

couple that with watching the fuel cars from the overhead shot where the shortened track is so obvious, and I really think NHRA is on the wrong track in regards to track length (no pun intended).

and while I have huge amounts of respect for the drivers and crew chiefs, they may not be best source for whether 1000' for is a good idea or not...wouldn't NBA coaches and players like a 75 foot long basketball court? and I'll bet the NASCAR guys wouldn't mind only having to make their cars last 379 miles at Daytona...

<shrug> ...all I know for sure is ever race it takes me less and less time to fast-forward my way through the broadcast :-/

Simple answer. NO

More likely all Pro classes and Alcohol will run 1000 ft.

Pro Stock at 1000 foot. As even as the class is you'd only put guys in the seat with the best reaction times. How many races would WJ have lost, or Mike Edwards today with 1000ft. Talk about evening the playing and never hearing the words, "The big HP takes him around driver X".

More History lessons...

In The Beginning, There was The Rolling Start, 1320 was chosen because it gave enough room to stop a car going 100 mph on an airport runway or airport access road... and the dragster classes were really "Run What You Brung"

d'kid

NHRA won't get another dime of my money until they return to the 1/4 mile. (I've only been going 40 years.) While some would call slowing the cars down sissified, I call making the track shorter more sissified. Pull some HP out of the cars, make it more affordable and return to the 1/4 mile. As far as comparing NHRA to the ADRA, well just see what happens if the ADRA starts charging for tickets. Ain't gonna be any free Nitro racing folks.

How much real air time will a sponsor get 10 years from now when the Fuel cars are running 3 teens to the thousand foot mark? Better to fix the problem now and keep making adjustmenst to that formula then end up with an unmarketable product! Slow em down and return to the 1/4 mile! If Del Worsham don't want to drive em (doubtfull) there are a 100 others who would step into the seat.

Del was the first racer I saw when I went to Industry for the big GO, I would love to hear his thoughts on safety, Him and Dixon are my dream team this year. Anybody who undermines his views on safety should be very embarrased. Top man

Del was the first racer I saw when I went to Industry for the big GO, I would love to hear his thoughts on safety, Him and Dixon are my dream team this year. Anybody who undermines his views on safety should be very embarrased. Top man

Del Worsham is a very good racer. Barack Obama is a very good politician, should anybody who undermines his views on politics be ashamed?:rolleyes: Like I said, if Del won't drive if they return to 1/4 mile (me thinks he would) there are at least 100 folks out there who would get into the car. And since we are on the subject of safety and if safety is to trump all other issues, why are we racing? Wouldn't it be safer to just declare the sport too dangerous? Then no drivers would be at risk! Where do you want to to draw the line?

Risk is part of life, if your loved ones are involved with racing they are at risk. If you as the wife, mother, or child of a racer never wants them to risk their lives please make them stop! Those who choose to strap into race cars (any kind of racing can be dangerous) must be at peace with the risks. Those who want to make racing completley risk free are only fooling themselves. Find another sport to follow (is there a Pro Badminton circuit?).

If the NHRA never returns to the 1/4 mile and instead makes all racing 1,000 foot they will have to start giving tickets away or else become history. Then it will be %100 safe.

Personally, I'm really leaning toward 2/10ths of a mile.... I Have Never Owned a car that read 1/4th of a mile, Every car I've owned has read tenths on the odometer....

d'kid

More History lessons...

In The Beginning, There was The Rolling Start, 1320 was chosen because it gave enough room to stop a car going 100 mph on an airport runway or airport access road... and the dragster classes were really "Run What You Brung"

d'kid

well...let's go a bit further Karl...

"IN THE BEGINNING" it was a couple guys at a stop sign, on a deserted road, a dry lake, and abandoned airport or a dirt road who said..."WANNA DRAG IT OUT?"

There was no measured distance.... it was three telephone poles, or stop sign to stop sign, or measured in how many cactus or whatever...

just be be fair.... about "IN THE BEGINNING".... ;)

perhaps we've been stuck on this 1320 because it's what seems to define the sport, but that's open to interpretation.

Seems once again, we've dug up this topic and once again, there is no right or wrong. Simply personal preference. As for my preference... i say keep the fuel cars 1000 foot... make Pro Mod, TAD and TAFC 1000 (at tracks such as E-town, pomona and Bandimere (if they run there).

But, give me a drag strip and any distance, good people, good fair competition and keep people from racing on the street and I'm a happy camper.... :cool:

well...let's go a bit further Karl...

"IN THE BEGINNING" it was a couple guys at a stop sign, on a deserted road, a dry lake, and abandoned airport or a dirt road who said..."WANNA DRAG IT OUT?"

There was no measured distance.... it was three telephone poles, or stop sign to stop sign, or measured in how many cactus or whatever...

just be be fair.... about "IN THE BEGINNING".... ;)

perhaps we've been stuck on this 1320 because it's what seems to define the sport, but that's open to interpretation.

Seems once again, we've dug up this topic and once again, there is no right or wrong. Simply personal preference. As for my preference... i say keep the fuel cars 1000 foot... make Pro Mod, TAD and TAFC 1000 (at tracks such as E-town, pomona and Bandimere (if they run there).

But, give me a drag strip and any distance, good people, good fair competition and keep people from racing on the street and I'm a happy camper.... :cool:

Bring back the pretty girl starter then 1000FT won't be bad

I really never thought about it but I can never remember seeing a female starter in drag racing.
I started going to the drags in 1958 so there was several years of flag starts before the xmas tree became SOP.
Anybody out there have a female starter at there dragstrip?

They're already returning pretty girls to national events, in case you haven't noticed. Bob Bode's and Jeff Diehl's wives backing the cars up and strutting around....constant ESPN2 close-up shots of Kim Anderson...Allen Johnson's wife...Doug Horne's sister...Angie Smith...Kenny and Brandon's wives...even Ron Capps brought it up :eek:

Who's complaining? :)

They're already returning pretty girls to national events, in case you haven't noticed. Bob Bode's and Jeff Diehl's wives backing the cars up and strutting around....constant ESPN2 close-up shots of Kim Anderson...Allen Johnson's wife...Doug Horne's sister...Angie Smith...Kenny and Brandon's wives...even Ron Capps brought it up :eek:

Who's complaining? :)

Not me. I was hoping one of the above mentioned was going to step in and
take over Rick Stewart's place. Remember change is good. It is progress.

If they stay at 1000' then they should leave the combination alone.
If they stay at 1000' and slow them down that could be the double whammy that could eventually affect attendance dramatically.

The main reason the shutdown became inadequate IMHO is the extra weight the cars carry more so than the speeds.
A couple 100lbs is allot at the speeds they are going and changes the stopping figures enormously. I think they should try and figure out how to lighten them up and make them stronger but the cost would astronomical which would definitely reduce the number of participants and creates another problem. 1000' is the quickest and most cost effective way.

I have to say I was totally against 1000' but it's growing on me. If I want to see 1320' I will attend a nostalgia event.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back