Motorsports media asks, "Is this the time to bring back 1,320 foot nitro racing?" (2 Viewers)

What's your response????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Terry Almy brought up a great point. All motorsports are suffering in attendance. Sunday's race at the Brickyard had maybe 100,000 fans. They showed the inaugural race clips where 350,000 fans bought tickets. Indy cars at Fontana last month looked like 20 people showed up. Motorsports have fallen off the mainstream radar.

Teams (or people from teams) who state that those fans who don't like it need to stay at home don't understand that those fans pay THEIR paycheck.

I have been to Chicago 3 weeks ago. First NHRA race in more then 15 years and yes i loved it but the track seemed to short to me. The teams better stick their heads together to get a package done to go back to 1/4 mile is my opinion. It's the best for everyone. And although racing needs to be safe and some accidents never should have happened (Scott Kalitta is one that comes up now, or Blaine Johnson. Those we're easy to prevent. Or at least the outcome could have been prevented easily) racing will be dangerous.

Terry Almy brought up a great point. All motorsports are suffering in attendance. Sunday's race at the Brickyard had maybe 100,000 fans. They showed the inaugural race clips where 350,000 fans bought tickets. Indy cars at Fontana last month looked like 20 people showed up. Motorsports have fallen off the mainstream radar.
Ah yes the Brickyard...I use to just about live at that place...damn i would love to have them days back again.

The Biggest Problem with 1000 ft racing is that the races are over to quickly, unless you are watching it on TV with 5 replays its poof and its over, and the shorter distance does not let you recover from smoking the tires first like you would see in 1/4 mile racing. Then a driver could smoke the tires and pedal it then hook it up and drive around someone who had trouble farther downtrack. Now you run out of room before you can drive around anyone.
Smaller Fuel Pumps, Smaller Fuel Tanks, 95%-100% Nitro ( we need the Pop Back ), Throttle Whacks during warmups, long Burnouts ( come on Force you remember how).... To get Butts in the Seats you need to Entertain them as well as put on a race.... Since NHRA cant promise( nor wants) a big crash like Nascar can you need to "Wow" them with the Spectacle of Nitro Racing..... And as far as increasing Car Counts maybe just maybe if every car enterered was given equal time ( and respect) on the TV broadcast it would be easier for a racer to atteract a sponsor, becuase no if you dont race for Force or Schumacher or Blow up its hard to get TV time and when you do the announcers point out that you dont have much of a chance to win and when you do its a miricle. Almost Every Driver out there started out as a nobody, todays struggling field filler may be tomorrows star if given half a chance, look at all the talented drivers sitting home or who have just given up that could be out there if they could get the money. Bazemore, Troxel, Stevens, Cory Mac, Herbert, ect. Is Racing better because they are sitting home?

Excellent thoughts John.

Although, with Force, Schumacher, and Kalitta owning 38% of the 16 cars that are normally qualified in top fuel, and 56% in funny car....and looking at the total # of drivers between the classes....they own almost 28% put together....(so round up and say 1 out 3 for discussion purposes)...it is going to be hard to get the media focus off of them. I mean look at Nascar between Gibbs, Hendrick, Childress, and Penske...those for own over 30% of the field week in and week out....mandating a 2 car per team per class max would not bring back 1/4 mile racing but i think it would help lessen the monotony factor for sure.

I remember always hearing Mr. Mac thanking the fans for spending their "entertainment dollar" with the NHRA....hands down what he always calls the "best show in motorsports". You're right...we ain't got no entertainment, and we ain't go now....at the moment...hopefully that can change.

John, you are right. NHRA needs a 'WOW' to get people into the stands. In Nostalgia racing the Fuel Altereds have WOWed everyone. It was mentioned to NHRA that they run them as exhibition during downtime and their answer was they wouldn't consider it because they were to dangerous. NHRA used to have different exhibition cars - BACK-PICKUP, HURST HARRY OLDS, LITTLE RED WAGON. Guess they decided it cost them too much money and it would take away from their executive compensation.

NHRA needs Ten National Races Only ; Winters, Finals, INDY, and One in each Division... also sportsman events at divisional tracks... top three from division tracks will run at finals for champoinship...

I would be all for cutting back the # around 3-4 And since this is about 1/4 mile racing....and depending on the soup du jour if NHRA says 1/4 mile is a cost issue or safety issue for teams versus 1000ft....less events equals less cost, but I would argue it drives up competition through less chances to win.

Pomona & Phoenix - back to back

Gainesville & Zmax - back to back (Dump first vegas)

Houston

Atlanta

Kansas & Chicago - back to back

Old Bridge & New England - back to back

Bristol

Norwalk

Bandimere - Sonoma - Seattle - Western Swing

Brainerd

Indy

Maple Grove

Dallas

Vegas

Pomona

I know that is 21, but that would be my order. Yes you have some two weeks spurts on the road but honestly some of the driving these guys do on off weeks just makes me scratch my head.

Why would you want to cut the number of races, do you like bigger crowds at the restrooms, in the pits or the concession stands? I usually go general admission and like a smaller crowd so I can find a place to sit after I roam around. NHRA is non profit they just have to break even and I think they do that at the first Vegas race that some want to dump.

The cars are all ready in the 330 + mph, slowing them down is going to be an issue soon @ 1,000 ft, so why not go back to 1/4 when they do, or we can let the big money teams force even shorter track distances when they run over 340 mph or over, the racing has not been run what ever you want for a long time now, you can't have three fuel pumps and three mags, so they already have been controlling the advance of power, take back one pump and mag go back to 1/4, better show, more driver won races

Don't discount the TV effect on the dismal attendance in motorsports. I live 35 miles from Pomona and I would rather sit in my easy chair Sunday and watch the races than have to pay the Fairplex mafia for parking, the NHRA their stupidly high ticket price(I would feel differently if the purses were MUCH larger in all categories), the $20 lunch and then be frustrated at the lack of being able to watch the teams prepare the cars and bikes, and then discovering a really crappy Nitro Alley/manufacturers midway (I could care less about the Harley girls or the pull up contests). Finally the failed actor(Geicoman) and some of the PA "talent" who think screaming on the PA will get me exciting about Pro Stock.(I don't remember Bernie Partridge screaming on the PA at OCIR) Not much value there. Also I can listen to Alan and Brian do their PA stylings (even these talented men are screaming....stop it!) over the internets while I puzzle over my own little race car's issues in the shop. I think all of this can be summarized with instant information, false enthusiasm, plentiful TV and corporate blandness have taken away the wonder of drag racing.

I do like to go to Pomona on Thursday and watch the sportsman cars run. Still the best excuse for playing hooky from work.

That is a good point Mark. I am constantly amazed how small the manufacturer midway has gotten at National Events. I have always wondered if that was because you just order everything off the internet these days so there is no reason for them to truck a bunch of inventory around the country -or- or if the price for them has just gotten too high to rent space on the midway at events? Also WAY fewer team trailers these days.

I also have always said the ticket price for NHRA is overall a pretty good value, it is the ancillary costs that kill you. One only has so much tolerance for $20 PER DAY parking (Pomona, Gateway ... Looking at you) $9 beers and $11 hamburgers that don't come with fries, those are another $5 (EVERY stop on tour). When you can count on doubling (or more) the cost to get in, it is a HUGE turnoff for a lot of folks.

It is also not like these are gourmet hamburgers, they are just frozen patties that you can buy by the bag at Costco, that they throw on the grill and cook them until they look like charcoal briquets. You don't even get lettuce or tomato or pickles or onions ... you get generic cheese slices, ketchup and mustard, if you are lucky, on stale buns. The terrible quality is just that extra kick to the nuts compared to the cost. I have been spoiled in my years as a fan, as we normally had an RV nearby to eat our own food and drink our own beer, but now that turnaround times are so tight, this is not really an option anymore. /rant

Chris Cook:

I believe the reason the midway has gotten smaller is a combination of all of the things you mentioned above.

The cost of doing business has gotten to the point where now you look twice at every expensive to try and justify spending the money and you really question if the return on your investment is still there.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

That is a good point Mark. I am constantly amazed how small the manufacturer midway has gotten at National Events. I have always wondered if that was because you just order everything off the internet these days so there is no reason for them to truck a bunch of inventory around the country -or- or if the price for them has just gotten too high to rent space on the midway at events? Also WAY fewer team trailers these days.

I also have always said the ticket price for NHRA is overall a pretty good value, it is the ancillary costs that kill you. One only has so much tolerance for $20 PER DAY parking (Pomona, Gateway ... Looking at you) $9 beers and $11 hamburgers that don't come with fries, those are another $5 (EVERY stop on tour). When you can count on doubling (or more) the cost to get in, it is a HUGE turnoff for a lot of folks.

It is also not like these are gourmet hamburgers, they are just frozen patties that you can buy by the bag at Costco, that they throw on the grill and cook them until they look like charcoal briquets. You don't even get lettuce or tomato or pickles or onions ... you get generic cheese slices, ketchup and mustard, if you are lucky, on stale buns. The terrible quality is just that extra kick to the nuts compared to the cost. I have been spoiled in my years as a fan, as we normally had an RV nearby to eat our own food and drink our own beer, but now that turnaround times are so tight, this is not really an option anymore. /rant
I will take the big braut onions at what ever the cost.

less time for pits = less time for midway displays
higher rent, less traffic = no display
the best use of midway space has got to be the guy polishing the bottom of a beer can.....i love to stand there and watch the
crowd who watches this guy; i know it's a waste of time, but it's possibly the best entertainment i see during the day :D

less time for pits = less time for midway displays
higher rent, less traffic = no display
the best use of midway space has got to be the guy polishing the bottom of a beer can.....i love to stand there and watch the
crowd who watches this guy; i know it's a waste of time, but it's possibly the best entertainment i see during the day :D
Heck, for $60, I'll be right over to polish beer cans for you! :D

Don't know where you ate. The food a Pomona has always been the best on the tour. The worst, Maple Grove, followed by Gainesville, Commerce, and Clermont.

Don't know where you ate. The food a Pomona has always been the best on the tour. The worst, Maple Grove, followed by Gainesville, Commerce, and Clermont.

It is possible that Pomona has the best food on tour, but that is kinda like saying a chainsaw is the best way to lose a finger. Pomona is usually $2-$3 more per item than the rest of the tour as well. In any event, for the amount paid, the quality (or quantity) does not come close to justifying the cost IMO at any stop on tour. Indy (Clermont) is the only stop on tour that I have access to the RV because it is the only event my dad will take it to since he moved back East, so I make it a point to always eat there rather than the vendors. I would go back to Maple Grove in a heartbeat, but that is only because the action on the track is usually so darned good that you tend to forget that the track is dump (you get hustled for tips coming out of the porta potties!?!?). And ultimately, the racing is why we are there. Also, for the same price of a Bud Light in a can, you can get Yuengling on draft ... so that is pretty good.

you get hustled for tips coming out of the porta potties
E-town is the only racing venue of any kind that I had ever seen this at. It also had the cleanest porta potties I've ever been in - all weekend. While there was never a "hustle" for a tip, I never found it hard to throw a handful of quarters in my pocket before heading to the track. I'd gladly take this service at many other large scale, public venues - especially in the summer.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back