NHRA 1/4 mile racing (1 Viewer)

Not going to happen. The pro's and PRO and NHRA all like 1000'. They will be slowing the fuel cars down but they will never go back to 1320. Too many tracks don't have the adequate shut down area and can't extend the ones they have. They can't slow the fuel cars down enough to compensate for the additional 320 ft they have in shut off now without having them run real close to the alky cars. Also, they are not going to run some tracks at 1320 and some at 1000 ft.

Might as well get used to 1,000 ft racing .It is here to stay.Don`t be surprised when all the pro catigories are running 1,000 ft.

Not going to happen. The pro's and PRO and NHRA all like 1000'. They will be slowing the fuel cars down but they will never go back to 1320. Too many tracks don't have the adequate shut down area and can't extend the ones they have. They can't slow the fuel cars down enough to compensate for the additional 320 ft they have in shut off now without having them run real close to the alky cars. Also, they are not going to run some tracks at 1320 and some at 1000 ft.

Couldn't agree more. 1320 in the fuel classes is a thing of the past.

........Too many tracks don't have the adequate shut down area and can't extend the ones they have........

with the second englishtown fc fatality in 2 yrs. barely behind us, was watching
F1 from Valencia yesterday when this happened to mark weber.

stop the video and motion thru as slowly as possibly as he hits the tires.
gonna' take a guess his speed was 100+, nearly head on and he walks away.
for a split second the entire car is absorbed within the width of the tire
barrier.....can't tell for sure, but fence also i'm sure is temporary and designed
to move/absorb shock......remarkably simple AND effective.

YouTube - MARK WEBBER CRASH F1 VALENCIA(ORIGINAL COPY)

in a situation like a drag strip where you don't have 24 turns to spend
money on, something as simple as this 4-tire-wide F1 barrier could turn
into a 10-tire-wide 'last barrier before end of property barrier' in drag racing?

sorry, kind of a hijack.

Saturday I was at Norwalk. I was sitting in a fairly empty set of bleachers watching Pro Mod. Del Worsham walks up at sits near me in the bleachers. They were right behind his pit. It was pretty cool sitting there watching Pro Mod with Del Worsham. :D

Anyway I asked him about 1000ft and he said "I love it"! He said something like it was the best racing he's ever experienced as a driver and that most of the other fuel drivers like it. He doesn't "think" it will go back to 1/4 mile. He also talked a little bit about some of the dangerous short shut downs and 1/4 mile. It was brief conversation but straight from Del. Just FYI ...

As much as I PREFER 1/4 mile racing I'm not going to let the last 320 ft prevent me from not going. I've been attending races for over 35 + years. I attend 3 events a year (Norwalk, Chicago, Indy). It's too much of a tradition for me and my friends. I'm not about to stop going. I love it too much! MY summers would suck without drag racing. MY summer's racing weekends haven't been ruined because they lack the last 320 ft of racing. It's just different now. I had a total of 9 different "first timers" attend Norwalk throughout the weekend and they were ALL blown away with the nitro classes and are already looking forward to next years event. I don't "think" 1000ft racing will prevent new fans from attending.

Pro Mod & the alky classes go to 1000ft and I will never go back!

Dang....would you also boycott a 7-inning baseball game or an 80-yard football field? 1000' racing ain't THAT bad, man...and the only talk I hear of 1000' alcohol racing is on these discussion boards. Go enjoy the races and don't worry about it. ;)

Besides, your previous post sez "I'm so used to 1000' racing it doesn't bother me anymore"...:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Yes I realize there are some diehards on this site that would hate 1000ft racing forever and boycott it or whatever (Im not one of them), but folks you have to realize you are a very small minority here. I'd say about 80% of the fans that go to the races are locals that are amazed by the sound and smell, and couldnt tell you half of the people currently in the top ten. SO, for all you saying 1000ft will kill the sport, maybe a few diehards, but the majority of fans will be unaffected.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back