Back to the 1/4 Mile??? (1 Viewer)

I can't believe Brian Lohnes mentioned the possibility of returning to the quarter mile without somebody in Glendora telling him to pitch the idea.
If NHRA has no intention of ever running the fuel cars for the full quarter again, they need to step up and say so. Put the rumor to rest immediately. But, if a return to the 1320 is planned, I don't see it happening all of a sudden. Tell the crews at Denver to plan on quarter mile racing in 2020 or 2021 and let the chips fall where they may.
If the cars are slowed, shouldn't that translate into lower operating costs? Won't that be more of an enticement for lower-buck teams to race? Having 13 top fuel cars at Epping was an embarrassment.
And, not having a full field at the season opener should have been a wake up call to the Glendora bean counters.

Having raced since the late 50's and seeing all the changes made over the years many of them were made for safety reasons and a lot because someone was killed. NHRA made the change to 1000' because of Scott Kallitta's death. It was a good move. I would guarantee that if a vote was taken of the car owmers, drivers and NHRA the majority would vote for 1000.
This blog can go on forever but it's not going back to 1320. Additionally, Goodyear has a max rating on their tires and have said they are not going to develop a new tire. The computation on what the max speed a car can run with certain gear ratio, nitro %, weight, blower overdrive,etc I wouldn't take to the bank. As long as drag racing has been around people have been saying "here is the max speed a car can go". It's always been exceeded. Cars are running over 290 at the 660, how soon is someone is someone going to exceed 300 at 660?

Can anyone tell me who it is that opened up this can of pretty bird>>>?

@Ken
These wings already generate 1500+ pounds of drag. That drag is overcome by what?

The tires were tested in the 410-420mph range the last I knew.

I own a few wheels and tires that were spun above 1000mph.View attachment 5447

I believe it is a lot more than 1500 lbs I will see if I can find the research paper.
Having raced since the late 50's and seeing all the changes made over the years many of them were made for safety reasons and a lot because someone was killed. NHRA made the change to 1000' because of Scott Kallitta's death. It was a good move. I would guarantee that if a vote was taken of the car owmers, drivers and NHRA the majority would vote for 1000.
This blog can go on forever but it's not going back to 1320. Additionally, Goodyear has a max rating on their tires and have said they are not going to develop a new tire. The computation on what the max speed a car can run with certain gear ratio, nitro %, weight, blower overdrive,etc I wouldn't take to the bank. As long as drag racing has been around people have been saying "here is the max speed a car can go". It's always been exceeded. Cars are running over 290 at the 660, how soon is someone is someone going to exceed 300 at 660?

The HP, nitro % blower overdrive do not matter. the bottom line is
if engine rpm is 8250
trans 1:1
rear end 3.2:1
tire radius 23 loaded

MAX MPH is 352.8 so no matter how far you go it can not go faster. each .1 increase in rear end ratio drops MPH by 10 mph

I think there's something that no one has mentioned. Imagine that NHRA went back to 1/4 mile racing and it was only on the tracks that had long shutdowns and they even found a way to keep the MPH the same as 1000'. Now imagine that there was a crash that resulted in a fatality of a driver. The amount of negative publicity from every possible media outlet, lawsuits and finger pointing would be beyond comprehension. Why would NHRA take such a risk to try and satisfy a hand full of us that miss the old days.

So if NHRA is thinking about going back to 1/4 mile, who is asking them to do that? Did they think of it themselves? Spectators? Since they are saying nothing at present, there must be something to this.

I can't believe Brian Lohnes mentioned the possibility of returning to the quarter mile without somebody in Glendora telling him to pitch the idea.
If NHRA has no intention of ever running the fuel cars for the full quarter again, they need to step up and say so. Put the rumor to rest immediately. But, if a return to the 1320 is planned, I don't see it happening all of a sudden. Tell the crews at Denver to plan on quarter mile racing in 2020 or 2021 and let the chips fall where they may.
If the cars are slowed, shouldn't that translate into lower operating costs? Won't that be more of an enticement for lower-buck teams to race? Having 13 top fuel cars at Epping was an embarrassment.
And, not having a full field at the season opener should have been a wake up call to the Glendora bean counters.
Lower operating costs? Do you expect the lower budget teams to be able to trash parts, equipment, etc that they can barely afford now? And what about testing time to work out new combinations and tune ups? The concept of lower costs and fuel racing is pretty much an oxymoron.

I know most won't agree with me but the easiest way to slow cars down is to limit the size of fuel tanks. Over time it will eliminate the need for multiple and giant fuel pumps, decrease the size of blowers and possibly eliminate one mag. Parts will last longer because there will be less strain put on them on each pass. Yes it will be expensive at first but it aint cheap now and continues to cost more and more. Something must change if nitro racing is to survive.

It is all speculation at this time, but a return to 1/4 mile nitro racing would be a marketing bonanza for the sport. The publicity and excitement would intensify interest, and it would surely be a "watershed moment" for the sport; and those events featuring it would be packed with spectators!

Last edited:

This story on the nitro ban from Brett Kepner is very similar to our current debate.

This is one of the most importent events in drag racing history. Think what would have happened if nitro had been banned. Where would we be now? What if Garlits crash at Lions hadn't happened? Where would T/F be now? Still front engined cars?

This is one of the most importent events in drag racing history. Think what would have happened if nitro had been banned. Where would we be now? What if Garlits crash at Lions hadn't happened? Where would T/F be now? Still front engined cars?
Yup. The entire thing was a hastily made decision not based on thorough research. An emotional decision if you will. Once they realized crowds were shrinking they quickly changed course.

Looks like you could have taken it a little faster, maybe coast all the way back to the pits. Haha!
or at least make it to JUDGES ...... you could climb the fence and have a quick refreshment ...... er, climb fence.....hmmm. never mind ;):D

It seems to me if this is real, that a big rules adjustment is coming for the fuel cars no matter what. The NHRA is just fishing to see if there is an appetite for a big enough rules change that might bring quarter mile racing back as a trade-off for whatever costs would be incurred.

As for me, if they are going to make a big rules move that will significantly slow the cars down, then yes, lets go back to the quarter (since the team's will have to spend the money anyways to comply with the new rules). If they are just going to make small changes, that do not have a big impact on budgets or speed, let's stay at 1000ft.

I can tell you this, the crew chiefs will recover lost performance much quicker than anyone thinks no matter the distance of the track. It has been ever thus.

In regards to making old parts obsolete what if they ran a handful of races still running the old equipment under the old rules and phased in the new setup at select races with more added each season until the switch is complete. I'm sure there are a hundred holes in this idea but I'm just throwing that out there. I guess the magic is coming up with a new setup.

who came up with the size of the chutes vs the speed and track length ?
has anyone tried bigger chutes ? how bout adding another caliper to the rear to go along with bigger chutes?
going slower is not gonna pack the stands imo

Yes, they went to 85% and the crew chiefs went to bigger pumps and more compression and begged NHRA to go back to 90% because 85% wasn't easier on engines, it was killing them!

Think like a Crew Chief. Can you make a car run 3.90 (or quarter mile 4.80) easily and efficiently without hurting parts? Yes, they all can.
But now put Steve Torrence or Robert Hight in the other lane. Are you still trying to run like that? No you are trying to WIN! That's a completely different mindset. Alan

Just a thought, drop percentage to 80% and create a spec fuel pump? Not sure if they have an overdrive limit, but put one in place. Leave all the other systems alone

Just a thought, drop percentage to 80% and create a spec fuel pump? Not sure if they have an overdrive limit, but put one in place. Leave all the other systems alone

Again, not arguing, just talking, do you think Jeff Diehl, Audrey Worm, Terry Haddock, even Jim Head, Pat Dakin and Bob Vandergriff's cars want to start from scratch trying to find a tune up? You have to be careful not to put these guys out of business.

Alan

We’ve seen how changing the header angle gave Prock and Beckman an advantage years ago. We’ve also seen how the one piece rear wheels gave Grubnic and Millican an advantage. Seems to me a lot of little things that slow the cars early in the runs would help in the short term. Take away just a little of this and a little of that. How much angle could be taken away from the headers?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back