Back to the 1/4 Mile??? (1 Viewer)

somebody should get a board of about 20-30 people.....1/3 racers, 1/3 nhra/mello yello, 1/3 aftermarket industry.....everybody formulates 2 new ideas that could effect nhra pro racing within
next 5 years......at vegas 2, have an informal meeting and discuss the ideas......all 30 people leave with a list of all the ideas.......from discussion, some of ideas have become front runners.
hold a meeting early in off-season and seriously discuss where this sport is headed..........insurance, track length, nitro%, 2 day events, nite racing, rev limiters, gear ratios, amount of races,
one or two nitro categories, track prep, throttle wacks, tv and online, marketing, the countdown........talk about it all. a little change could be really good

somebody should get a board of about 20-30 people.....1/3 racers, 1/3 nhra/mello yello, 1/3 aftermarket industry.....everybody formulates 2 new ideas that could effect nhra pro racing within
next 5 years......at vegas 2, have an informal meeting and discuss the ideas......all 30 people leave with a list of all the ideas.......from discussion, some of ideas have become front runners.
hold a meeting early in off-season and seriously discuss where this sport is headed..........insurance, track length, nitro%, 2 day events, nite racing, rev limiters, gear ratios, amount of races,
one or two nitro categories, track prep, throttle wacks, tv and online, marketing, the countdown........talk about it all. a little change could be really good
To be forward thinking, which is a must in business now more than ever, this is definitely what should be happening Mike.

I like the idea but way to many agendas to be successful.

I read something on another site that said NHRA is serious about returning to 1/4 mile, but that the combination would be changed to slow the cars down. Don't know if info is reliable, but that is what it said.

Garlits says:
“And television, for openers, would disappear. And for the second thing, a lot of other guys would get into drag racing, like me, that don’t like to blow up stuff, and we would overcome all these rich billionaires that are controlling the sport now. A regular little team could run as good as anybody because it ain’t a question of who can blow up the most parts and spend the most money.”
Basically the reduced track prep is accomplishing this.
And Oswald says:
“Personally, I wouldn’t go to see it. Drag racing’s an acceleration contest,” Oswald said. “What is a 300 mile-an-hour car in a quarter-mile? It’s a glorified alcohol car. People will not watch that; I won’t watch that. Don’t you go for the noise and the acceleration? I do. To me, it’s the noise and the acceleration that the people like.”
Food for thought.

I can see both sides of the argument, especially as it pertains to nitro, but the bottom line is can the sport sustain (at the nitro level, especially) the continued support in participation under the current platform of expense the classes have evolved to. Participation numbers suggest no.

For me, it still comes back to doing what is necessary to reign in the operational costs to a level where many of the parked teams, along with some new ones may come back out, or figure out the hole we appear to have on the marketing end of things so the big players in business are more enticed to partner with our guys and gals to offset the astronomical costs they've evolved to. Trying to have our cake and eat it too doesn't seem to be working......

Sean D

I’ve asked this before: why are people still pushing to go back to 1320, knowing that would mean slowing the cars down? Here’s the reality, if this was going to happen, it should have happened shortly after the initial move to 1000 feet. If NHRA had shortened the distance for a few events while coming up with some rules to slow the cars down and then returned to 1320, that could’ve worked long term. But it’s been over 10 years, and we’ve since seen 340mph in 1000 feet. I’ve sat at 1000 feet and they cover the last 320 so quickly you cannot tell they’re off the pedal. So again, why is a slower car going a bit farther better? Like Alan says, not arguing just discussing.

And Oswald says:
“Personally, I wouldn’t go to see it. Drag racing’s an acceleration contest,” Oswald said. “What is a 300 mile-an-hour car in a quarter-mile? It’s a glorified alcohol car. People will not watch that; I won’t watch that. Don’t you go for the noise and the acceleration? I do. To me, it’s the noise and the acceleration that the people like.”

So were the stands empty in the 90's when they were going 300 in the quarter mile? Doesn't a top fuel or funny car make noise and accelerate really fast to make it to 300 in less than 4 seconds? People will come and watch what they want to watch no matter what. The cars make enough noise and show as it is that the people still come. The switch back to the 1,320 is giving the novelty of something different again. Something this sport severely lacks in right now. Same routine, same rut, same old same old.

if the argument is for acceleration, just go to the eight mile mark.
0-280-290 MPH in the 1/8 from 1/8-1/4 280-330 MPH
first 1/8 most impressive.

As far as participants most are rich guys or B2B sponsorships

Correct on the early acceleration being the greatest... but people won't watch 1/8 mile fuel cars. I've seen it, not interesting.

Nothing against Mark Oswald, but it is this head-in-the-sand attitude that is ruining the sport. Bottom line is people WILL still watch 300 mph cars. No other motorsport or extreme sport comes even close. It's loud, exciting, and has plenty of acceleration even at that speed. The slowing of the cars is inevitable regardless of whether or not we return to 1320 racing - and fans won't stay home because of it. NHRA is already doing it via track prep. The costs of the current fuel car model are out of control and it is hurting the sport overall with less participation. And Garlits is right - it's only by the grace of God that someone hasn't been seriously injured in these nuclear fuel car explosions.

It is still nitro folks, the snap, crackle and pop of the pineapple juice makes this stuff great. I will start going back to national events if it goes back to the 1320, that is why I love the CHHR and other events. We lost the top end charge, cars truly driving around another racer. I disagree with Oswald. I would be very happy to see 4.90 or high 4.80s' on the 1/4 mi. I can dream I reckon.

[email protected] feet of magic and history!

So were the stands empty in the 90's when they were going 300 in the quarter mile? Doesn't a top fuel or funny car make noise and accelerate really fast to make it to 300 in less than 4 seconds? People will come and watch what they want to watch no matter what. The cars make enough noise and show as it is that the people still come. The switch back to the 1,320 is giving the novelty of something different again. Something this sport severely lacks in right now. Same routine, same rut, same old same old.
But the 300 mph quarter mile speeds in the 90's were the fastest the cars had ever gone on a drag strip. Don't you think that added to the excitement level? It's not like they had been going faster before, and then got slowed down. I say leave it as it is. Let people work out their current combinations and adjust to the new track prep. You want quarter mile go watch the nostalgia cars go 250-260 in the quarter and pretend you've gone back in time.

So Capps, and other drivers and teams, have proposed a compromise plan: a hybrid schedule in which some events are run at 1,000 feet and some at a quarter-mile.
"There's no reason why we can't do both," said Top Fuel driver Morgan Lucas. "I don't see why it needs a lot of negotiation or discussion. We even could call them long tracks and short tracks.
"But I think going 330 miles per hour again at the better tracks would be a lot of fun. The quarter-mile at most places is what we need to get back to. It's the cornerstone of what drag racing is all about."
Top Fuel racer Brandon Bernstein said he believes a hybrid plan is the answer that works for fans and drivers.
"I'm OK with that," he said. "We should go a quarter-mile at the tracks where we have tons of room. The only issue is records. But you could have two separate records."
Records are at a standstill since going to 1,000 feet. It could get confusing for fans if two sets of records were kept.
"Why not?" Capps asked. "NASCAR races at Bristol [a half-mile oval] one week and Talladega [a 2.6-mile superspeedway] the next, so why can't we do the same type of thing?"

Exactly. Why can't we do both? Everyone was on board with that in 2009, but now its 2019 and 1,320 feet on a track that can handle it is such a horrible idea.

If I was a crew chief i'd say no too. I'm getting paid the same salary and just increased the amount of work I have to do to figure out my tune up.

Unless NHRA mandates they run 1320 at certain tracks I dont see how this happens. According to the article “Don Schumacher said, ‘Well, my cars aren’t going there — and if they do, they’re shutting off at 1,000 feet,’ “Oswald said. Sounds like most owners/drivers are against it. Why would an independent racer race 1320?

Just my 2 cents. The thing about nitro racing is the noise & the excitement of seeing two nitro cars race. Even better at night when you can see the flames. I've noticed that even the nostalgia fuelers make enough noise to deafen you. So to see two fuelers race, even if they only run 4.80 & 305, that would still be really exciting, especially side by side. By the way, I well remember when T/F broke 300. There really was a lot of excitement about that. I remember Doug Herbert running 299 at Firebird. He signed a hero card for me & I asked him to write the speed too. I also remember when 200 was broken and that was "over the top" at the time. The 300 barrier was (to me) the ultimate, because we will never see 400.
FWIW: people in the stands get more excited at night, seeing the nitro cars run. That is a show unlike anything else, and yet all we get is daytime racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back