Back to the 1/4 Mile??? (1 Viewer)

As this topic didn't come up once on last weekend's broadcasts I wonder if it is already a dead issue?
Hardly, I was helping out one of the teams in Denver and we had a tech guy come to our trailer Sunday after the race asking our team our driver's thoughts on going back to the quarter mile and also, interestingly enough, how our team controls RPM. I was helping load up the car so I didn't hear all the details (and I'm not going to speculate or guess on what they said as I don't want to spread bad information) but we are probably one of the least funded nitro cars at Denver so good on NHRA for at least talking to us. Our team owner/driver is for going back to a quarter mile by the way...

Hardly, I was helping out one of the teams in Denver and we had a tech guy come to our trailer Sunday after the race asking our team our driver's thoughts on going back to the quarter mile and also, interestingly enough, how our team controls RPM. I was helping load up the car so I didn't hear all the details (and I'm not going to speculate or guess on what they said as I don't want to spread bad information) but we are probably one of the least funded nitro cars at Denver so good on NHRA for at least talking to us. Our team owner/driver is for going back to a quarter mile by the way...

Does your team control engine RPM different than anybody else?

Read an article on Formula 1, that I thought might have some meaning for drag racing. Drivers had 4 points: tires, weight, aerodynamics and "disparity of income" between the teams. It hit me that if T/F and F/C would lose about 300 lbs each, they would be a lot easier to stop. If you ran reduced power for 1/4 mile, it would still be easy to run 4.80's at over 300 with a lighter car. The F1 drivers said their cars had gained a lot of weight and were harder to drive. Was also interested in "disparity of income". Didn't realize F1 had teams that didn't have gazillion $ / year budgets. Would like to see how they resolve that. Maybe something drag racing could learn from?

Read an article on Formula 1, that I thought might have some meaning for drag racing. Drivers had 4 points: tires, weight, aerodynamics and "disparity of income" between the teams. It hit me that if T/F and F/C would lose about 300 lbs each, they would be a lot easier to stop. If you ran reduced power for 1/4 mile, it would still be easy to run 4.80's at over 300 with a lighter car. The F1 drivers said their cars had gained a lot of weight and were harder to drive. Was also interested in "disparity of income". Didn't realize F1 had teams that didn't have gazillion $ / year budgets. Would like to see how they resolve that. Maybe something drag racing could learn from?
Not sure how you take anywhere near 300 pounds off these cars, it’s really hard to rewind all the years of evolution.

Someone said lower nitro percentage to 80 percent. Do that and you would loose all the cackle. Some of us have been around when they ran close to 100 percent.

The sound was much more exciting. The whole car shook at idle. Look at old videos. There was a distinct pop sound that is not there at 90 percent. And 80 percent will be worse.

Years ago at Topeka the injected alcohol dragsters were allowed 100 percent I asked Tom Conway what did they actually run. He said right from the drum.

They sounded better than the pro cars.

Right now NHRA fuel racing is as competitive as it's ever been. The "lower budget" teams are making up ground on the mega teams. I say leave it alone , sit back and enjoy!

Right now NHRA fuel racing is as competitive as it's ever been. The "lower budget" teams are making up ground on the mega teams. I say leave it alone , sit back and enjoy!

IMO it is because they are mostly all running either Schumaker or AJPE parts except Force of course he is running stock LS Chevy stuff LOL.

Nate Johnson stated that the NHRA is the last major sanctioning body that has not slowed the cars down...….no, incorrect.

The following have not slowed down the cars and these are some below.
1. World of Outlaw Sprint Cars
2. World of Outlaw Late Model Series.
3. All Star Circuit of Champions
4. Southern All Star Dirt Late Model Series.
5.International Super Modified Series.
6. Super Dirt Car Big Block Modifieds
7. Super Dirt Car 358 Modifieds
8. USAC National Sprint Cars
9. USAC National Midget Series
10 USAC CRA Sprint Cars
11. ASCS National Sprint Car Series
12.United Sprint Car Series
13.United Racing Club Sprint Car Series
14. Lucas Oil Late Model Series

Just to name a few the debunk the claim by Mr. Johnson.

I know in my heart that with the present rules package the 1320 will not be wise or safe, too fast, too short of tracks and so on. But a major shift in philosophy, it could happen, but it won't. With over 200 National events under my belt, most at 1320, that is what I like and love. But for now I accept the "short course" racing.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Nate Johnson stated that the NHRA is the last major sanctioning body that has not slowed the cars down...….no, incorrect.

The following have not slowed down the cars and these are some below.
1. World of Outlaw Sprint Cars
2. World of Outlaw Late Model Series.
3. All Star Circuit of Champions
4. Southern All Star Dirt Late Model Series.
5.International Super Modified Series.
6. Super Dirt Car Big Block Modifieds
7. Super Dirt Car 358 Modifieds
8. USAC National Sprint Cars
9. USAC National Midget Series
10 USAC CRA Sprint Cars
11. ASCS National Sprint Car Series
12.United Sprint Car Series
13.United Racing Club Sprint Car Series
14. Lucas Oil Late Model Series

I said MAJOR motorsport sanctioning bodies. Your little list is cute, but none of those have the following ASSCAR, Indy (at least the 500 anyway), F1 or NHRA have. None of those come remotely close in membership as NHRA.

Southern All Star Dirt Late Model Series... Are you f___ing kidding me??? Hahaha!

cute list...

Ok Nate, thank you for your description of my views as cute, very glib of you. Being my other motorsports love is short track racing and the fact that I announce at one of the premiere tracks in the South, I have a very good grip on short track racing. You may or may not have the same grasp of the short track scene. I do. I have, besides Drag Racing, been to 143 short tracks across the country during my life so far. From Ascot back in the day to Eldora, Williams Grove, Lebanon Valley, and zillions of other tracks besides the 60+ drag strips. If you think the World of Outlaw Sprints Series that hits more markets than any other series in the USA to packed houses is cute. great. Still, to this day my main love and heart lies with the cars running pineapple juice. Started at San Fernando and Lions in the early 60s' and continues today. Hey Nate, ever been to Lions, San Gabriel, Fontana, Carlsbad, just asking and not trying to be "cute"

[email protected] Announcer

For Immediate Release
DIXON, MILLICAN HEADLINE NORTHERN NATIONALS FIELD
Plus Triple Engine Jet Truck, Jet Dragsters, Nostalgia Funny Cars and Dragsters

MARTIN, Mich. – Larry Dixon is one of the most successful drag racers on the planet, a second generation Top Fuel driver and three-time NHRA World Champion who’s driven for some of the most prominent names in the sport including Don “the Snake” Prudhomme, Alan Johnson and Australian racing czar Santo Rapisarda.

If you want to see Dixon race this season, though, the only place to do so is at Michigan’s fastest track, US 131 Motorsports Park.
His competition license indefinitely suspended by the NHRA in a dispute that compelled him to file a lawsuit seeking legal relief, Dixon will take advantage of US 131’s affiliation with the rival IHRA to participate Aug. 9-10 in the track’s annual Northern Nationals.
Dixon will duel with track record-holder Dom Lagana of Scarsdale, NY, veteran Pat Dakin of Dayton, Ohio and the IHRA’s all-time biggest winner, Clay Millican of Drummonds, Tenn., in a four-car showdown in which the all-time records for the quarter mile distance (4.420 seconds by Michigan native Doug Kalitta on May 23, 2004 in Chicago and ,338.35 miles per hour by Lagana on Aug. 12, 2017 at US 131) likely will be in jeopardy.
In addition to the Top Fuel dragsters, the event also will feature Jerry McCart’s triple jet engine “Home Wrecker” Ford truck, the Larsen Motorsports jet dragsters driven by Michigan native Elaine Larsen and Marine Corps vet DeWayne Hill, eight nostalgia front-engine Top Fuel dragsters, nostalgia nitro Funny Cars and eight nostalgia alcohol Funny Cars.
Adult tickets purchased in advance at www.us131msp.com are $15 Friday and $30 Saturday. That’s $5 off the price at the gate. Children 6-12 are $10 each day. Children five and under are free when accompanied by a ticketed adult.
-www.us131msp.com-

Well at least Clay, Larry, Pat, and Dom aren't afraid of an extra 320 feet! They have my spectator money. Here's to hoping for a 4.39 and a 340.

This would be a great race to watch! What car is Dixon going to be in? Does he still have a single seat car? Would love to see someone run 240, "just cuz".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back