Angelina Jolie's Freedom of Press, on Her Terms (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Another nutty Hollywood lib hypocrite who says she wants freedom of the press and then censors it by banning Fox News from her movie premeir and has everyone sign contracts. :rolleyes:

Angelina Jolie's true colors came out Wednesday as she promoted a film about freedom of the press and then tried to censor all her interviews.

Jolie is touting press freedom these days, playing the widow of murdered Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in a new movie called "A Mighty Heart."

But Jolie turns out to be a mighty hypocrite when it comes to her own freedom of the press. Her lawyer required all journalists to sign a contract before talking to her, and Jolie instructed publicists at first to ban FOX News from the red carpet of her premiere.

Ironically, Wednesday night's premiere of the excellent Michael Winterbottom-directed film was meant to support an organization called Reporters Without Borders. Jolie, however, did everything she could to clamp down on the press and control it.

Reporters from most major media outlets balked Wednesday when they were presented with an agreement drawn up by Jolie's Hollywood lawyer Robert Offer. The contract closely dictated the terms of all interviews.

Reporters were asked to agree to "not ask Ms. Jolie any questions regarding her personal relationships. In the event Interviewer does ask Ms. Jolie any questions regarding her personal relationships, Ms. Jolie will have the right to immediately terminate the interview and leave."

The agreement also required that "the interview may only be used to promote the Picture. In no event may Interviewer or Media Outlet be entitled to run all or any portion of the interview in connection with any other story. ... The interview will not be used in a manner that is disparaging, demeaning, or derogatory to Ms. Jolie."

If that wasn't enough, Jolie also requires that if any of these things happen, "the tape of the interview will not be released to Interviewer." Such a violation, the signatory thus agrees, would "cause Jolie irreparable harm" and make it possible for her to sue the interviewer and seek a restraining order.

I am told that USA Today and the Associated Press were among those that canceled interviews, and eventually Jolie scotched all print interviews when she heard the reaction.

"I wouldn't sign it," a reporter for a major outlet said. "Who does she think she is?"

A call to Offer was apparently one that could be refused. He didn't return calls. An associate, Lindsay Strasberg, said, before hanging up: "You're a reporter? I can't talk to reporters. Goodbye."

So much for reporters without borders.

That's not all: Jolie told Paramount Pictures publicists to ban FOX News Channel and all FOX News affiliates from covering the "Mighty Heart" premiere on the red carpet. It was only with the intervention of mortified Paramount staff that an FNC camera crew was allowed to be present.

Apparently, no one told Jolie of the highly positive review FOX News had given "A Mighty Heart" from Cannes.

Jolie is famous by now for directing press and selling rights to her photos. She has long been in business with People magazine, orchestrating photo shoots of her children. The money, she says, goes to charity.

This column reported a year ago, on June 8, 2006, about how Jolie and Pitt were responsible for the expulsion of journalists in Namibia where the couple went to have their child, Shiloh. Their bodyguards regularly got into fights with local photographers hoping to make some money from the couple's colonial residency in their country.

After Shiloh was born, Jolie and Pitt gave a news conference, but limited it only to Namibian journalists. No reporters from neighboring countries were allowed.

The couple sat on the dais with Sam Nujoma, Namibia's first president, aka dictator, who ruled for 15 years.

In 2002, Nujoma abruptly appointed himself minister of information and broadcasting. According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, Nujoma has routinely attacked reporters from his country calling them "unpatriotic" and "the enemy."

During the time Pitt and Jolie were in the country, a former photographer for the Namibian, the daily newspaper, was arrested twice for trying to get a picture of the couple.

South African John Liebenberg was arrested on municipal property during the Jolie-Pitt stay and pronounced guilty of trespassing. His passport and camera equipment were confiscated as well.

Treatment of the press is so bad in Namibia, in fact, that an organization called the National Society for Human Rights was formed several years ago to protect reporters' rights.

The NSHR, which is usually busy with more important matters, issued a statement on April 24 strongly condemning the deportation of foreign journalists from Namibia who wanted to cover the Pitt-Jolie visit.

"As the principal human rights monitoring and advocacy organization in this country, we strongly repudiate this unprecedented and blatant violation of the constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech and expression, which includes freedom of the press and other media," the statement read.

It's a little unclear how Mariane Pearl, whom Jolie plays in "A Mighty Heart," feels about her portrayer's position on freedom of press for some, but not all. On Wednesday, I spoke to Jeff Julliard, the editorial director of Reporters Without Borders in Paris.

"Paparazzi should be allowed to do their job," he said, adding that he condemned Jolie's banning of FOX News and actions taken on her behalf in Namibia.

FOXNews.com - Angelina Jolie's Freedom of Press, on Her Terms - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Last edited:
she is a screwball! and NOT hot anymore , shes gotta stay off the drugs, has anyone seen how skinny is she lately?

she is one weird individual for sure, but she always has an open invite to stop by my house!

I don't see any sign of editing, Brent. It will usually show when it was last edited..and there is none.

I don't see any sign of editing, Brent. It will usually show when it was last edited..and there is none.

That's BS and you should know it since you're a mod. If nobody edited it then how the hell did all of the text just disappear? I guess since nobody edited it then I'll just put the text of the article back. :mad:

Last edited:
That's BS and you should know it since you're a mod. If nobody edited it then how the hell did all of the text just disappear? I guess since nobody edited it then I'll just put the text of the article back. :mad:
You can back the truck up and get off my ass, Brent.

When someone edits a post..it says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Brent Busch : Today at 05:20 PM.

That came from the post where you decided to rag on me. When I mentioned earlier I didn't see any edit..it had that nowhere. If it had been edited..I would have told you so..ya hothead.

You can back the truck up and get off my ass, Brent.

When someone edits a post..it says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Brent Busch : Today at 05:20 PM.

That came from the post where you decided to rag on me. When I mentioned earlier I didn't see any edit..it had that nowhere. If it had been edited..I would have told you so..ya hothead.
No, that's not true. I posted the text and clicked back on the thead 2 or 3 times to read comments by others and the text was still there. I came back later and all of a sudden the text was gone. This isn't thte first time it's happened and each time there hasn't been text that showed it was edited. So now you're calling me a liar? You might want to do a little investigating before you accuse me of making things up or not knowing what I'm talking about. I think you owe me an apology for your accusation.

No, that's not true. I posted the text and clicked back on the thead 2 or 3 times to read comments by others and the text was still there. I came back later and all of a sudden the text was gone. This isn't thte first time it's happened and each time there hasn't been text that showed it was edited. So now you're calling me a liar? You might want to do a little investigating before you accuse me of making things up or not knowing what I'm talking about. I think you owe me an apology for your accusation.
Dude!! Did you see liar in my comment? Do you see where I said you made it up? I said I didn't see where it was edited! You need to take a chill pill, Brent. I didn't say it didn't happen..I said I didn't see any indication it was edited. I saw the text myself..and can't explain why it disappeared. I'll leave it at that.

I would appreciate it if you'd go barking up a different tree.

....I still think she's a screwball..and I used to think Brad Pitt was an alright dude...then they hooked up...now they've both made each other look totally stupid!

I agree, John. The media is as wackier than she is..but trying to dictate policy is out there.

It seems that most celebrities have lost touch with what is real..as we know it anyway.

geez i think we need a campfire and some kumbaya in this thread

Kumbaya David and Brent....kumbaya :D ;) :cool:

Angelina Blowme can do that anytime she pleases. But these Hollyweird types can all go soak their heads as far as I'm concerned!

Update:

Angelina Jolie's Anti-Press Touches Nerve

Our report yesterday about Angelina Jolie banning press from interviews and requiring interviewers to sign contracts touched off a firestorm. Mostly it was from colleagues who were relieved that we’d finally lifted the veil on all this craziness.

And it wasn’t just about FOX News getting banned from the red carpet. That was bad, but it wasn’t the central issue. Jolie treats all the press with hostility unless she can control the outcome of an interaction. Insisting interviewers sign contracts was an affront, considering that her movie is about the murder of a reporter who tried bravely to do his job. And then to pretend empathy by raising money at the movie for Reporters Without Borders. The hypocrisy and arrogance were overwhelming.

The fact is, Angelina Jolie — despite her posturing as Goodwill Ambassador to the world — is just like everyone else. She’s only different in that she’s created rules for herself that are so far beyond the norm of self-absorbed celebrity nuttiness, that she finally went too far.

It’s too bad, because Michael Winterbottom’s “A Mighty Heart,” which opens next Friday, is really a wonderful film that should be seen by the widest possible audience. That’s why what’s happened is so frustrating: it’s not like Jolie was in a bomb and needed to protect herself.

Of course, then I got reports from last night’s red carpet. It turns out that Jolie simply skipped the entire print area of the carpet, which means she didn’t give interviews for her own film to the many very nice, well-mannered print reporters from magazines and daily newspapers who wait patiently with tape recorders to ask completely innocuous questions like “What are you wearing?” and “How’s Shiloh?”

It’s a good thing Jolie has an Oscar (for “Girl Interrupted”). She will find no support next fall when she wants a nomination for playing Mariane Pearl. There has hardly been a less sympathetic actress in recent history. Even Russell Crowe knows how to be charming when he has to.

Still, there is plenty in “Mighty Heart” to admire and reward, not the least of which is Winterbottom’s direction. He turns what could have been a dead end of a story into an absorbing thriller. And he gets good stuff from his two supporting actors, Dan Futterman and Irfan Khan. None of that can be overlooked.

Jolie’s defense this morning is that a) her lawyer was overzealous with the journalists’ contract; and b) an “oversight” caused FOX News not to be invited to the red carpet. Both the lawyer, Robert Offer, and Paramount Pictures, are ready to fall on their swords for the star.

But neither statement is even remotely true. Jolie, the Ambassador, would never let her attorney distribute a contract without approval. And the good folks at Paramount Vantage know all too well what really happened. They cannot be blamed.

So do see “A Mighty Heart’ next Friday when it’s released. We owe it to Daniel Pearl, and to Mariane and the son Daniel never got to meet. But let’s not forget that it’s a movie, and that actors are playing parts. They are separable from the real people whose lives they conveying. It’s important to remember that, and to observe that in this case, the actor learned nothing from the experience.

Meanwhile, thanks to the New York Times’s Sharon Waxman, who simply stole our story from yesterday, including the news of the contract from Robert Offer, without giving any credit except to elicit a denial from Paramount. Really, really lame.

FOXNews.com - Angelina Jolie's Anti-Press Touches Nerve - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back