JFR Press Conference (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Just wondering if any of you have learned anything from the JFR press conference. It was touted as a major announcement and a big deal. Many on this and other boards said “So what? Ashley is going to drive a Funny Car, everybody knows that”. Well, everybody didn’t know it. JFR could have just issued a press release stating what we now know and we would have continued on with our lives. I’m sure it would have been a front page story on NHRA.com, and Drag Race Central, but other than that where do you think it would be seen?

What they did was to tell everyone that a big announcement was coming at 1:00 PM on the 16th and to check it out. They also went to considerable time and effort and expense to do it right. They put on a VERY NICE lunch, opened the shop completely to the media. And I do mean completely, no door was closed, from John’s private office to the recording studio, to the machine shop, it was an open house. And that doesn’t happen everyday (or ever). They had media members, sponsor VIP’s, Tom Compton and a couple of NHRA VP’s, as well as Chris Lopez from PowerAde. They had real racecars on display in the parking lot, from the time you drove in, you knew that this wasn’t just another day at the office. There were cameras and crews from the local news stations, a crew from FOX Sports, the crew from Driving Force. And a live satellite feed going out during the announcement. Inside there was audio and video running throughout the shop, and all in all it was a first class deal. And yes, I was there.

The morning started with John and Ashley doing interviews during the couple of hours leading up to the scheduled starting time. And then lunch was served and the announcement ceremony began. It went off like a Castrol oiled machine. John spoke, Tom Compton spoke, Lori Ann from Castrol spoke, and then Ashley took the stage. It was a day about Ashley and she was the star of the show. She spoke of growing up in the sport, and of the desire to do this someday, she was funny, and she was serious. She was focused and she wandered a bit (sound like anyone you know?). She introduced her crew and her Crew Chief. Then there were photos and a national tele-conference, one on one interviews and more photos and it ended with Ashley doing Joe Costello’s Power Shift on XM satellite radio at about 6 PM.

The end result, a spot on Sportscenter, and on FOX Sports Update. Front page on AOL, and YAHOO, I have no idea how many local and regional spots, newspaper stories and more. In the last couple of years, we (NHRA Drag Racing) have gone places where we have never gone before. Erica has opened doors; Melanie has received recognition from people that probably had never heard of Drag Racing before. J.R. Todd has brought major attention to our sport. And Ashley is off on the right foot. To the Drag Racing world it was confirmation of what was pretty much a given. To the real world, it was the MAJOR NEWS STORY that it was built up to be. That’s why it was done like it was. If you saw it and said “I knew that” congratulations, you’re a hard core fan, But If you are surprised about all the mainstream places that the story showed up, maybe now you have a better understanding of why things are done like they are. You have to admit that when a media savvy guy like Will Hanna says “Holy Crap! It’s on AOL” that JFR did a good job.

And it’s not over yet, tomorrows (the 19th) USA Today is the next step.

Alan

Alan,
As a hard core fan, didn't look at it that way off the top. And yeah, last week when I saw the "Pending Historical" at JFR, I said okay, it's official. As this week went on, people that know me were asking tons of questions, and being in roundy go round country, well, great ink for the sport.

now, to go get my first USA today in ten years.

WOW, and I mean WOW!

Alan, thanks for the great recap of that day and the leadup to the 1:00 pm news conference. You are right, I was one of those drag race fans that thought, OK, there is an announcement from JFR about Ashley going Pro. Like I didn't already know that? But, I had no idea that John Force got the media all lined up like he did and put on that kind of a show and created such a stir. After all, the press that Melanie Troxel got last year (but not near as much as this when she got the DSR top notch deal) I just figured we weren't going to see much from the mainstream press about Ashley Force until Pomona or maybe not until she wins some rounds and goes to a final. I underestimated John Force and I give him all the kudos in the world for doing what he did and getting his and especially Ashley's name out there to the general public. Maybe now we can all start saying Danica who? As if we haven't already. ;)

Alan, it must have been great to be there with this all going on. And you are 100% correct----this is all about getting the attention of people who are NOT die-hards like us. John's been leading the way on that front for years, and it sounds like he and Ashley and the rest of the "Next Generation" at JFR are set to help the sport break new barriers going forward. Very exciting.

I think you missed the point, Joe. There are many NHRA fans that don't surf the drag racing forums or go online much at all. Yes, I know it's hard to believe.....but it's true. Also, think of all the NON fans that are seeing it now. Don't you think some of the fellas (and gals that want to support another female) might just venture onto a track or watch a broadcast for the first time?

I think you missed the point, Joe. There are many NHRA fans that don't surf the drag racing forums or go online much at all. Yes, I know it's hard to believe.....but it's true. Also, think of all the NON fans that are seeing it now. Don't you think some of the fellas (and gals that want to support another female) might just venture onto a track or watch a broadcast for the first time?
Naw Kelly, just the force hater rearing his head again.:rolleyes:

When I meet people and begin discussing favorite pastimes and the like, Drag Racing is front and center for me. Most people shrug it off and move on, but others show moderate interest. So I ask those who show interest if they've ever heard of Don Prudhomme, Kenny Bernstein, Shirley Muldowney or Don Garlits. Normally one or two folks will know Shirley or Big, but Snake & Kenny are a little tougher.

Then I ask if they've ever heard of John Force. Believe it or not, I get a lot of no's. So I follow that up with ok, have you ever heard of Richard Petty? Resounding yes nearly 100% of the time. Well, I say to those who know King Richard but not John Force - Richard Petty has won seven NASCAR Winston Cups titles, but John Force has won (until last year) 13 of 'em! Yes, twice as many titles as the great Richard Petty. That normally gets their attention and they want to know more. How can somebody be that completely dominating and still folks haven't at least heard of them?

My point is this - Alan's right. In the last 24 months or so our great sport is finally getting the ink we've always believed it has deserved. I dare say everyone who even casually visits this message board or others like it knew about Ashley's big move, but we're not the target audience - the folks who've never heard of NHRA Championship Drag Racing are the target and perhaps we're staring to hit the bullseye.

So, whether you're a John Force fan or not, I say thanks to him for continuing the media onslaught and getting the word out!

Last edited:
Joe,

Do you think that everyone who uses AOL or YAHOO for a home page already knew? How about everyone who watches Sportscenter, did they all know?

Alan

Drag racing has finally arrived! This is the way it is done now if you want anyone outside of the regular circle to pay attention. This is Nextel Cup type stuff and I love it! It may have been a precedent setting moment in motorsports history.

Leave it to John Force to have the foresite and seeds to make this happen. He is truly the one man in this industry to have the vision to make all this happen. He never ceases to amaze me. To come from where he did to this is unbelievable.

With that said, was it possible or probable that Kenny Bernstein could have done the same thing with his Monster deal? I think he probably could have and he is probably kicking himself in the butt for not capitalizing on the opportunity.

John Force is in a league of his own. He will continue to be the bar setter until he decides otherwise and I doubt that will ever happen as long as he is on this earth. What a gold mine for Castrol. Impressive!

All that means is their PR guy did a great job! ;)
Thanks for the insight from an NHRA associates point of view Alan.
But to the average fan it still falls under that "Ashley was going to drive the 4th F/C" statement, like we didn't see that one coming. :rolleyes:
And yes they made ESPN sport center it wasn't that long of a segment but it was good press for our beloved sport.
I wish Ashley lots of luck and that she has a successful and safe rookie season.
It will be cool to see her win the Rookie of the Year award at the end of the season.

thanks alan for the inside scoop! and just ignore the force haters, theres lots around here unfortunatly. good luck to ashley in 07. now lets go racin!!!!!:)

John Force didnt become the success he is because he did things the same as everyone else. This press conference and the following media coverage that occured was definitely the purpose behind the announcement. An amazing week for drag racing has transpired from this and regardless of whether you hate him or love him you have to admire how much he loves this sport and his family.

Way to go John, we appreciate everything youve done for the sport and that you have the where with all to use your star power to enhance the sport even further. Where most people would stumble or say "thats not my problem" John has gone that extra mile.

Is there any drag racer who fills the stands better than John Force?
Does anyone sell more collectibles/clothing/souvenirs?
Is there anyone who brings the fans to their feet in the stands better?
Will anyone ever surpass his number of event wins?
Will anyone ever surpass his number of championships?

"Bottom Line" (as one 'ol trucker would say) is that he's very good for our sport and this press conference is a perfect example?
His choice to graduate Ashley into the F/C ranks is great for her but also wonderful for the future of the sport of drag racing.
Love him or hate him, you must acknowledge his contribution to our sport.
If you don't believe this step is huge for our sport, you are just kidding yourself! I believe Ashley will score a win well before Danika and I also believe her name will be far more well known to boot. This is huge!
Embrace it or move on to the next thread!

Bob Pellegrini,

I understand what you're saying, but the announcement was planned and timed to try to make a splash in the mainstream media. Anybody that wants Drag Racing news can find it if they look. The object is to get the news in front of people who weren't looking for it. I have talked to a few people who know of Drag Racing, but really aren't what you would call fans, they may go to the race when it's in town but don't follow the points or anything. And the question is "Did you see that Force's kid is going to drive a Funny Car?" These are people who never would have seen it had it just been reported in the normal Racing media. So the object I believe was accomplished. Many more people will see the USA Today this weekend (remember that the Friday issue stays on the stands until Monday) that didn't know anything about it. But now the news found them, and maybe, just maybe, they're thinking a little about Drag Racing this weekend, when otherwise it never would have crossed their mind.

Alan

Bob Pellegrini,

I understand what you're saying, but the announcement was planned and timed to try to make a splash in the mainstream media. Anybody that wants Drag Racing news can find it if they look. The object is to get the news in front of people who weren't looking for it. I have talked to a few people who know of Drag Racing, but really aren't what you would call fans, they may go to the race when it's in town but don't follow the points or anything. And the question is "Did you see that Force's kid is going to drive a Funny Car?" These are people who never would have seen it had it just been reported in the normal Racing media. So the object I believe was accomplished. Many more people will see the USA Today this weekend (remember that the Friday issue stays on the stands until Monday) that didn't know anything about it. But now the news found them, and maybe, just maybe, they're thinking a little about Drag Racing this weekend, when otherwise it never would have crossed their mind.

Alan

I never thought about that! :rolleyes:
Doc is right very well said Alan see you in Pomona, you to Doc. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back