worst national anthem ever (1 Viewer)

I don’t know. At the Vegas race, somebody from a local college scratched out the National Anthem on a violin just before the first round of TF.
It was pitiful.

We should copy Indy 500 opening (televised) as much as possible:
Proud to Be An American
America The Beautiful
Followed by quick announcer babble (less than 1.5 minutes)
Invocation
National Anthem (with appropriate bombs going off)
Followed immediately by Fire In The Pipes
This would be an excellent way to start the race, no time wasted (announcer babble, ENDLESS recaps, and "human interest stories" are not getting the job done. We want to watch a real event, not a documentary

Last edited:
When I started going to races, Francis Scott Key would sing it himself.
giphy.gif

This reminds me of an IHRA race about 15 years ago or so. I think it was a track in Michigan but it could have been somewhere else.

Bill Bader loved his fireworks and always ended the national anthem with rockets' red glare, aka - fireworks. They also arranged to have a military paratrooper land on the track. The problem was that no one coordinated the paratrooper with the fireworks. As the paratrooper descended and was preparing to land on the track, the fireworks went off in the direction of the paratrooper. The paratrooper had to make evasive maneuvers to avoid being hit by the fireworks.

It was a classic national anthem.

We should copy Indy 500 opening (televised) as much as possible:
Proud to Be An American
America The Beautiful
Followed by quick announcer babble (less than 3.5 minutes)
Invocation
National Anthem (with appropriate bombs going off)
Followed immediately by Fire In The Pipes
This would be an excellent way to start the race, no time wasted (announcer babble, ENDLESS recaps, and "human interest stories" are not getting the job done. We want to watch a real event, not a documentary
"This would be an excellent way to start the race, no time wasted (announcer babble, ENDLESS recaps, and "human interest stories" are not getting the job done. We want to watch a real event, not a documentary"

AMEN! And cut back on the babble after every single run. No wonder every event runs 30 minutes or more later than their schedule indicates. 3 minutes of blah blah blah after a 4.8 second run.

This reminds me of an IHRA race about 15 years ago or so. I think it was a track in Michigan but it could have been somewhere else.

Bill Bader loved his fireworks and always ended the national anthem with rockets' red glare, aka - fireworks. They also arranged to have a military paratrooper land on the track. The problem was that no one coordinated the paratrooper with the fireworks. As the paratrooper descended and was preparing to land on the track, the fireworks went off in the direction of the paratrooper. The paratrooper had to make evasive maneuvers to avoid being hit by the fireworks.

It was a classic national anthem.

Could go back to the Bill Doner way, have gals in bikini's parachuting in!

I was surprised there was not some kind of flyover on Sunday at the Vegas four wide. Nellis AFB is right there.
On Friday several F-16s, a couple of F-15s, a bunch of F-35s, two VF-22 Ospreys and an A-10 were flying around.
Personally, I’d like to see a B-1 flyover after the National Anthem.
Just as it gets over the track, have it light all four afterburners.
NHRA may have the most powerful land based vehicles.
But, watching a B-1 under full ‘burner, with the wings laid back, takes the meaning of power to a whole new level.

Extremely difficult song to sing and remember the words to, they say. I guess we should be glad they're still singing it at all and there's no racers taking a knee.

I'm all for having a military band play it, with some fireworks at the end. There's nothing more embarrassing than a singer who muffs it and it ain't uncommon. People who can sing it fine in their living room often shake the tires when it comes to performing in front of thousands of people.

I was surprised there was not some kind of flyover on Sunday at the Vegas four wide. Nellis AFB is right there.
On Friday several F-16s, a couple of F-15s, a bunch of F-35s, two VF-22 Ospreys and an A-10 were flying around.
Personally, I’d like to see a B-1 flyover after the National Anthem.
Just as it gets over the track, have it light all four afterburners.
NHRA may have the most powerful land based vehicles.
But, watching a B-1 under full ‘burner, with the wings laid back, takes the meaning of power to a whole new level.

That would be cool. Or have a B-2 Stealth do the same. Saw an F-117 Stealth do a flyover once at Bank of America Stadium. Was awesome!

A few years ago at Norwalk a B-17 Flying Fortress did a fly-over. It was really cool seeing a plane my Grandpa would have been in while in the Army Air Corps. I remember saying at the time "now there's the plane that kicked that crap out of the Germans." Several people nodded in agreement.

Just play the music and let the crowd sing it. I despise it when some singer gets up there and tries to "make it his/her own" by adding a bunch of vocal gymnastics to it.

brainerd used to have a local barber shop quartet (or maybe it was even an octet) do both anthems accapella, while the parachute jumpers
landed with canada, then america flags. signal given to start motors as last note of anthem played. no announcing between anthem and motors firing. it was great. best ever.
goosebumps kind of moment.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back