Hard To Say No (1 Viewer)

ctjstr

Nitro Member
I hope he knew the answer in advance. Yesterday at the AHDRA race in Woodburn, Oregon, one of the racers got on the PA just before the national anthem and proposed to his finance, who apparently never saw it coming. The good news for him is she said "yes".

You see this all the time at baseball games and such. I always wanted to see one time when she said "no" -- kind of like seeing a car wreck, you don't really want to see it, but...

Then it happened. Can't remember where it was, it was on TV though. As he got down on his knee she started saying "oh, no!". She just ran away crying... The guy looked like he'd been hit by a semi. The announcer quickly moved on. It was really sad. :(

I have seen it done at the football and baseball games, the race track, and the movie theatre on the screen before the movie started once. Its always nice to see. Especially when they catch them off guard.

Here's my story on proposing. I wanted to surprise my wife when I did it, she knew I was going to be doing it sometime but didnt know when according to my brother whom she told though there was no way I would do it and her not know what was happening. She was wrong, I totally blind sided her. I set up all these special evenings and what not and thats when she thought it was going to happen but it never did. Then one night we just went out to eat at our favorite Japanense steakhouse. Once we were leaving I handed her a fortune cookie (which I had doctored to read, "Pamela Gayle, will you marry me? Justin" So first she opens it, and then she stops dead in her tracks b/c we were walking out. Then she realized it was for real. It was great.

You see this all the time at baseball games and such. I always wanted to see one time when she said "no" -- kind of like seeing a car wreck, you don't really want to see it, but...

Then it happened. Can't remember where it was, it was on TV though. As he got down on his knee she started saying "oh, no!". She just ran away crying... The guy looked like he'd been hit by a semi. The announcer quickly moved on. It was really sad. :(

i remember seeing that and i believe it was eventually discovered that the whole thing was a hoax

We were having coffee on Monday, Jan 9th 1980... I looked at Kat and said 'Friday?'... she smiled and said, 'yeah, Friday works'

d'kid

Oy! I'm not sure I ever want it to happen again, but here are my two.

First one did it in a way that took alot of effort. He even asked my Mom and Stepdad for permission. Kind of pissed me off he didn't ask my Dad, but I digress. My mother had a gold nugget ring and band that was her's and my Dad's wedding bands melted down to her and my 'last' stepdad's set. HE and I were very close and I wanted that ring because it had him and my Dad in it. If that makes sense. My last stepdad had a heart attack in '84 and died and my Dad and I are very close, too. We live together now. Anyway, my Mom and current Stepdad were married at the gazebo at Vargo's here in Houston. A very nice....4-5 star restaurant. Tim went got that ring from Mom, asked permission and made reservations. He had ulcerative colitis and was having his colon removed. I know, TMI...but he didn't know what the outcome was going to be with such a serious surgery. He said we were going there for dinner. I was like WTF? Why in the heck would a major redneck wanna take me there? So, he proposed in the Gazebo with the ring that meant the world to me (no stone cuz he wan't me to pick it). BUT, had it been in public...I would have been mortified! It was hard enough to say yes, because I wasn't sure. I felt a responsibility as it was, because he was sick and he had a feeling it wouldn't go well.

Bottom line....I wouldn't have Dean if I didn't say yes, so it was worth it even though it was a mistake.

2nd one? Eh, walkin' through the mall he vered off into a jewelry store. I followed.....

him: Which one do you want?"
me: Um, that one.
him: Eh, you sure? We ARE building a house!
me: OK, that one?
him: Kel....
me: OK. Just buy one. I wear a sz 6.

At least the gold was real. That one lasted longer than the first! Go figure!

My second one...

"Why did you change your name when we're just going to have to change it again." ;) :D

My second one...

"Why did you change your name when we're just going to have to change it again." ;) :D

LMAO! I thought about going back to my son's dad's name because it's just easier with school and stuff, but his current wife would flip! So, I kept #2's for work, since I've already changed once while there.

So, I'm just inches from going back to my maiden name and staying that way!

LMAO! I thought about going back to my son's dad's name because it's just easier with school and stuff, but his current wife would flip! So, I kept #2's for work, since I've already changed once while there.

So, I'm just inches from going back to my maiden name and staying that way!

Well, I have only been married once and kept the ex's name out of convenience (in other words, the papers finally got signed.) I loathed being called by that name and changed it back to my maiden name.

Do you think Shannon will be mad at me when I ask to change it again? :eek:

I was engaged once. I did it right too ... I bought a 1.61 carat Princess cut diamond solitaire E in color and VVS in clarity, got down on one knee ... the whole bit ... then she made me sell the Corvette ... stop watching so much racing on TV ... stop going to so many races with my Dad ... stop playing poker so much .... I went camping/fishing too much ... had my paycheck start getting direct deposited into her account ... holidays with her family ... even tried to make me miss going back to Kentucky for the Derby ...

The absolutely CRAZY part is that I still miss her sometimes ....

I don't even want to change my name. Do ya now how funny "Jenn Green" sounds?"

I like being a Jaramillo, people know me and it gets me out of speeding tickets when they say "Jenn Jaramillo? Are you Phil Jaramillo's daughter?" and I say "Why, yes I am!':D

Don't laugh, but I had the following opportunities:

Kelly Tyer (sound it out)

and

Kelly Kelley

OH! And being one of Mr. and Mrs. Kelly Holcolmb.

OMG! Yes, I considered these scenarios. :eek:

I don't even want to change my name. Do ya now how funny "Jenn Green" sounds?"

Don't laugh, but I had the following opportunities:

Kelly Tyer (sound it out)

and

Kelly Kelley

OH! And being one of Mr. and Mrs. Kelly Holcolmb.

OMG! Yes, I considered these scenarios. :eek:

I think we have to consider this... and believe me, if I had realized that:
1. My marriage wasn't going to be around half as long as my parents or,
2. Many people have hearing & visual disorders and think Polson is Poison
I would never have done it.

I do like and enjoy my family name Torres, but I will be changing it when I get married again this fall.

I was engaged once. I did it right too ... I bought a 1.61 carat Princess cut diamond solitaire E in color and VVS in clarity, got down on one knee ... the whole bit ... then she made me sell the Corvette ... stop watching so much racing on TV ... stop going to so many races with my Dad ... stop playing poker so much .... I went camping/fishing too much ... had my paycheck start getting direct deposited into her account ... holidays with her family ... even tried to make me miss going back to Kentucky for the Derby ...

The absolutely CRAZY part is that I still miss her sometimes ....

There's no way in hell I'd miss her! I understand though.

You cant be in a relationship like that. Thats why I love my wife. I do what I want (race, play poker, golf, sporting events) and she does what she wants (shops and buys Coach purses).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back