Winternationals Observations (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
I thought it was an exciting season opener. I really enjoyed the Espn2 coverage, the opening yesterday with little glimpses of Pomona history was really cool. I was happy to see Don have his cars in the FC final, I didn't realize until I watched that he wouldn't be there. Get well quick Don, we need you out there! New blood is always exciting, and it was great to see Drew Skillman, John Hale, and others stepping up. The crowd looked pretty strong for 1st round of eliminations. Awesome to see Larry Morgan become a contender again, looking forward to see him kick ass this year. My favorite Comp car, Alan Ellis' badass A/A won. There were some real fast times in the Alky classes, including a 285mph run by an A/FD. How about AJ & Langdon? So nice that they came out after losing their deal, and won! I thought the Knuckle Sandwich signage was really hard to see on AJ's car, and unless I missed it, did anyone interview Guy Fieri? Lastly, while I thought it was a good show, it hit me that it could be shortened up by not doing so many replays, from the same day to years past. If you want to keep it at 3-3 1/2 hours, then do a bunch more interviews with racers that don't get as much TV time. Overall, a great race!

I watched ESPN3 all day...I loved watching that A/A comp car....STOUT!!! Unfortunately I had to watch the actual telecast to see what I missed when my signal was locking up....like the T/F Finals (ugh all the time and missed the fc and tf on espn3).

There is already some drama in pro stock between the Grays and Roger Brogdon. I’m sure ESPN2 is going to milk that for more than it’s worth. Something needs to be done to keep up the interest in the class.
It looks like the Mopars are down on power, and the number of teams, in pro stock. Pro stock is now a battle among Gray Motorsports and KB racing, and it’s hard for me to watch them anymore.
Pro stock used to be my absolute favorite class. But, that was when Ronnie Sox was mowing everybody down. And, I’m still waiting on Mopar to reintroduce rear-wheel drive Hemi Darts.
Only cars that come from the factory with RWD should be allowed. But, that’s just me.
And who is that Drew Skillman kid? Talk about bursting onto the scene. He speaks and drives like a long-time professional. Very impressive.
Alan Johnson proved what a lot of people already know, he is the best fuel tuner in the business right now and worth every penny, and then some, of his salary.
The one thing that really stuck out to me was the low number of cars that entered each pro category. In years past, everybody attended the season opener and there were big car counts in each class.
I have a feeling many races this year are going to have at least one short pro field.

Ted, you're probably right about car counts, but the optimist in me says it's been 7 years or so of a tough economy, and while we've had a short field here and there, and likely will this year, overall the fields have been full with some events having a few extra cars. And it's simply economics, hopefully lower fuel prices will allow more smaller teams to compete this year.

Pro stock is now a battle among Gray Motorsports and KB racing

Uhhh, one Elite car qualified on pole, and the other Elite car went to the Finals. BOTH Elite cars were in the semis. Collectively, they had a better weekend than any other Pro Stock team (highest qualifying position average and most round wins as a team). Not to mention, the third car in the semis also had leased Elite power.

Drew Skillman is the grandson of Ray Skillman, auto dealer in Indy. They have been doing very well the last few years with Cobra Jet Mustangs in Stock and Super Stock, and they have stepped up to run 10-12 races with Elite in Pro Stock. Drew can drive ...

Anyone have any idea who is going to be driving Allen Johnson's team car? He said the announcement would be coming soon, and that it would be "shocking".

There is already some drama in pro stock between the Grays and Roger Brogdon. I’m sure ESPN2 is going to milk that for more than it’s worth. Something needs to be done to keep up the interest in the class.
It looks like the Mopars are down on power, and the number of teams, in pro stock. Pro stock is now a battle among Gray Motorsports and KB racing, and it’s hard for me to watch them anymore.
Pro stock used to be my absolute favorite class. But, that was when Ronnie Sox was mowing everybody down. And, I’m still waiting on Mopar to reintroduce rear-wheel drive Hemi Darts.
Only cars that come from the factory with RWD should be allowed. But, that’s just me.
And who is that Drew Skillman kid? Talk about bursting onto the scene. He speaks and drives like a long-time professional. Very impressive.
Alan Johnson proved what a lot of people already know, he is the best fuel tuner in the business right now and worth every penny, and then some, of his salary.
The one thing that really stuck out to me was the low number of cars that entered each pro category. In years past, everybody attended the season opener and there were big car counts in each class.
I have a feeling many races this year are going to have at least one short pro field.
You forgot Elite Motosports, it's going to be Chevrolet Pro Stock series with 3 Mopars 2 for sure. I love this series but it's pretty sad there can't be 3 solid manufacturers in the hunt. Driver and Horse Power that's it.

OK, OK. I get it. Elite Motorsports is now a two car team. I turned on the race last night just as the pro stock finals had run and didn't catch Elite on the side of Skillman's car.

Anyone have any idea who is going to be driving Allen Johnson's team car? He said the announcement would be coming soon, and that it would be "shocking".

Richie stevens would we a shocker, one of the stanfields would be a shocker, perhaps another coughlin, or a real shocker would be KJ or let WJ try for his 100th win:p

Did anyone else catch Jason Line's comment about "Opponent's post race behaviour"? What was all that about? I think it was after the semis.

Did anyone else catch Jason Line's comment about "Opponent's post race behaviour"? What was all that about? I think it was after the semis.
One of the Grays and Brogdon got into it after a qualifying run. An engine deal they were gonna have didn't pan so they had a shouting match at the top end and had to be separated.

Rieff made the anouncement of you wont believe who the driver will be,Im going With Mike Edwards!

Richie Stevens will be in the 2nd Johnson Mopar.....................................

That is not shocking. It is not even the first time Richie has driven a Mopar with Roy Johnson power. Besides, EE and Allen are good friends and there are a lot of pictures of them hanging out away from the track with their spouses. Richie is a good driver, it makes sense all the way around to me. (if true)

RL_RichieStevens.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back