Burk's observations (1 Viewer)

Who said anything about eliminating all TV? Keep the Major races, we don't need to see 23 races on TV is all!

Nobody said anything about eliminating TV. Don't put words or ideas into my posts that aren't there. You don't think sponsors will decrease funds based upon their product spending less time on TV?

Nobody said anything about eliminating TV. Don't put words or ideas into my posts that aren't there. You don't think sponsors will decrease funds based upon their product spending less time on TV?

Doesn't look like they are getting much of a ROI based on the ratings!

what that depends on is what their idea of a decent cost per impression is... look at how many current sponsors are in other forms of motorsports as well as drag racing.... probably less than 5? many big companies are or have been spoiled by the numbers NASCAR use to produce as well as the numbers produced by the stick and ball sports...

from what i am hearing... amount spent, compared to the measured ROI in both NASCAR and the NHRA.. by percentage.. the numbers realy arent that far apart... and both have their plus's and both have their minus's.. take a couple pages to list them all....

i know some one will jump on me for this one... but most companys dont get or understand the appeal of drag racing.... one that does..IMO.. is Castrol.... find a team in NASCAR that has Castrol on its cars...hard pressed to find one.... they tried it several years ago in the then Busch series with Casey Attwood.. while the kid won races and had a ton of air time... the cost compared to the ROI was no where as good as it was with Force at the time (90's)... and they paid about the same amount to both then.. if i heard correctly.... for what they are paying Force now (if the rumors on the net are true...) they could not be on a good teams... let alone a great teams, primary for half the season for the same money....in Nationwide

if ROI was the key for many.... of the mid pack teams sponsors in the Nationwide Series now compared their numbers to a current NHRA mid Pro class team, they would find that for half the money (nitro team) or even less (PS team) they could get the same amount of exposure in the NHRA... and that would include a small amount of kick up to the NHRA...lol... NASCAR even knows this... this is one of the main reasons that NASCAR made it so that drivers had to pick ONE series to collect points... no cup drivers in the points race allows for lesser mid pack teams to gain tv time because of their status in the points....

what that depends on is what their idea of a decent cost per impression is... look at how many current sponsors are in other forms of motorsports as well as drag racing.... probably less than 5? many big companies are or have been spoiled by the numbers NASCAR use to produce as well as the numbers produced by the stick and ball sports...

from what i am hearing... amount spent, compared to the measured ROI in both NASCAR and the NHRA.. by percentage.. the numbers realy arent that far apart... and both have their plus's and both have their minus's.. take a couple pages to list them all....

i know some one will jump on me for this one... but most companys dont get or understand the appeal of drag racing.... one that does..IMO.. is Castrol.... find a team in NASCAR that has Castrol on its cars...hard pressed to find one.... they tried it several years ago in the then Busch series with Casey Attwood.. while the kid won races and had a ton of air time... the cost compared to the ROI was no where as good as it was with Force at the time (90's)... and they paid about the same amount to both then.. if i heard correctly.... for what they are paying Force now (if the rumors on the net are true...) they could not be on a good teams... let alone a great teams, primary for half the season for the same money....in Nationwide

if ROI was the key for many.... of the mid pack teams sponsors in the Nationwide Series now compared their numbers to a current NHRA mid Pro class team, they would find that for half the money (nitro team) or even less (PS team) they could get the same amount of exposure in the NHRA... and that would include a small amount of kick up to the NHRA...lol... NASCAR even knows this... this is one of the main reasons that NASCAR made it so that drivers had to pick ONE series to collect points... no cup drivers in the points race allows for lesser mid pack teams to gain tv time because of their status in the points....

Billy, you obviously have experience with this so you know more about this than I do. But Seems every Major sponsor with the exception of Castrol is gone after 3-4 years! Companies do extensive research on sponsor exposure, and if Drag racing really was as good a Bang for buck as NASCAR. We would see the result of it.

nhra drag racing and it's associated tv ratings seem to offer a good platform
for small to medium sized companies looking to grow and establish brand
recognition, hence you see sponsors come and go, intentions in the sport
are not long term. (brut was a perfect example)
large companies looking to use motorsports to retain market share, at least
in america, are probably drawn more towards nascar as they reach a greater
number of people, both live and especially on tv (i.e. miller lite, budweiser,
catepillar)
castrol sticks around nhra because they've been fortunate to attach themselves
to an individual that transcends his chosen profession in popularity, and
has shown eagerness to extend his 'force racing' brand well into the future.
they are one of the lucky brands that can attach itself to a personality,
in the same manner that STP is tied to richard petty.......
and there's not too many of those in drag racing, in fact john may
be the only one

nhra would suffer greatly if 100% of their series was not televised.

On #2, however, I think NHRA has a much bigger problem slowing the cars down because if they slow down the fuel cars - and lets face it, that's what we're talking about here - then they'd have to slow down the alcohol cars/A-Fuel cars and then that would trickle down accordingly... NHRA has to ensure that the fuel cars are the quickest, fastest, loudest & baddest hot rods on the grounds or attendance would REALLY suffer. Don't believe me? Go attend a Divisional and tell me how crowded it is. Anyway, perhaps most of the big-buck fuel teams could handle the cost of a major change to slow them down... but the much lesser funded Sportsman teams (at all affected levels) would get hurt a LOT more.

As a sportsman racer, I understand the problem. But they have to do it. So stop screwing around and get on with it.

The "Big Show" racing has really fell by the wayside over the last three-four years.

Obviously the GFC contributed to that due to lower car counts, but I personally feel that 1000' racing has contributed. I understand that the switch was required for safety reasons, but the switch back to 1320' has not been flagged for return anytime soon.

I now by choice don't watch some of the races that I have TiVo'd, that would have NEVER happened 5-6 years ago.

More and more I find myself only going to the races to spend time with my "racing family" than I do for the races. Don't get me wrong, I still love going to the races, but I am not as in tot he racing as I was 5-6 years ago.

Just my opinion.

I think the coverage is too long, it doesn't really hold your interest like it should. The BS the announcers try to fluff up the show with doesn't work with me. Show us technical stuff and pit stuff and racing, which would cut the show down to less than 90 minutes which is where I think it should be. I watched the Pro-Mod races the other day and was completely surprised on how poor quality of a show it was, not the racers, ESPN. I am not complaining but I agree with Joe, too much T.V. is hurting the sport, I for one can take it or leave most of the show and only watch the last half hour. Just my 2 cents.
Rick

Billy, you obviously have experience with this so you know more about this than I do. But Seems every Major sponsor with the exception of Castrol is gone after 3-4 years! Companies do extensive research on sponsor exposure, and if Drag racing really was as good a Bang for buck as NASCAR. We would see the result of it.

they do the research and they see the numbers.... but.... if you look at todays corperate family trees.. many single companys are now part of a much larger single group. Look at PepsiCo and Proter and Gamble... see how many brand names are under their banner... then look at where thay have a major presence....thats where they have commited the largest part of their motorsports marketing budget...

i'm not sure what the hang up is for companies with drag racing... maybe its a problem with many company heads are just bean counters with degrees and no real world understanding of a smaller group costing less money is the same as a larger group with a whole not more budget...you know .. basic math..lol

i'm not sure what the hang up is for companies with drag racing... maybe its a problem with many company heads are just bean counters with degrees and no real world understanding of a smaller group costing less money is the same as a larger group with a whole not more budget...you know .. basic math..lol

IMHO, the problem is that companies do research NHRA and they come to the conclusion that the audience isn't an audience they want. It's not heavy in the precious 18-34 demographic, there aren't many women, and it's not filled with a target market (hispanic, asian, whatever) that they're trying to catch up in. Remember that NASCAR really took off when they wisely pointed out how many women there were as fans (hence the Tide sponsorship, for example).

IMHO, the problem is that companies do research NHRA and they come to the conclusion that the audience isn't an audience they want. It's not heavy in the precious 18-34 demographic, there aren't many women, and it's not filled with a target market (hispanic, asian, whatever) that they're trying to catch up in. Remember that NASCAR really took off when they wisely pointed out how many women there were as fans (hence the Tide sponsorship, for example).

In fact, a big problem is it's heavy in the old-fart demographic, a very undesirable group for advertisers.

but you kind of said something.. without saying it... the big key demograph is the 18 to 34 as you stated... companies see this group as the "build our brand loyalty age group".... .. the NHRA IMO.. falls into the next group or groups.. from the age of 35 to dead (joking)....... thats the group that should be and is the "maintain our brand loyalty" group.... companys want the continued suport but dont agressively go after it with huge budgets... they spend less on this group.. so thats why its perfect to use the NHRA for this approach. and for the few 18 to 34 fans out there.. they will grab them in the process on less of a budget.

Also.. there are companies that if they saw the "interaction" part that is a great tool the NHRA offers that would come on board also.. Dupont or companys like Dupont would be perfect for this... no real demograph to chase.. they are not a "on the shelf" retail product company and there are others out there... the right people inside the companys need to be aproached..

Jesus, since when are white people not a good Demo for advertisers??? I guess if it's not minorities or women it's a loser!

It appears the NHRA didn't give Burk an all access free ride or something. Have you noticed he has not mentioned the upset racers at Maple Grove. I guess the ADRL came through for him.:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back