Burk's observations (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
On DRO, editor Jeff Burk penned a few notes about attending The last NHRA race. His dislike for NHRA and their races really shows thru in most of his comments. His point of doing away with 1000 ft racing is pretty valid as speeds are near what they on the 1320. Better braking, auto shutoff and such do make it a little easier to stop on marginal tracks. I don't know about running 1320 on most then running 1000ft on some though. THAT would be confusing and I don't think that PRO? would put up with that.
About the $7 - $10.00 beers, get real. Has he been to any other sporting or concert event lately. Yes it's entertainment and it gives the promoters a license to gouge for whatever they wish to sell.

nascar, indy car and nhra have all to a degree hit a brick wall within the
last 10 - 15 years; record speeds and times falling victim to insurance, facility,
and equipment limitations, not to mention driver safety.
nhra seems to be the last major american series having to come to grips
with this reality and rite now they're in the midst of experiments aimed
at retaining fans and racers
- countdown
- 1000'
- 4-wide
- 90% nitro
some may stick and be successful, but hope nhra is brave enough
to recognize failure and not be afraid to take a step
back if necessary
(in same manner nascar COT lost rear spoiler in lieu of traditional rear deck)

I don't understand a few things (climbing up on a soapbox):

1) Why every track has to be the same. No two baseball stadiums are the same, no two golf courses, no two NASCAR, Motocross, or F1 tracks. Heck, even highly regimented games like football, tennis, and soccer have different surfaces, different stand configurations, and so on. Stop pretending that a track in the Everglades is the same as a track in Jersey. There's already one track that can't make the same (Denver), so stop trying. Celebrate the differences, make that part of the challenge (like it is in every other motorsport).

2) Why every other motorsport (including "unlimited budget" F1) has gone to great lengths to limit speeds to make the sports safer and more competitive while NHRA has made a few feeble stabs at it. If it's really a concern, just do something. Anything. Some motion is better than none on a safety issue.

3) Why the countdown is such a problem for some people. It's a method of determining a champion, everyone plays the same game. I don't think it is magic, and I'm pretty sure it's not done anything to increase viewership, but it's hard to deny that it has pushed the championship determination to the last race or two of the season. That's been good for Vegas and Pomona. If that's what they wanted, it did that.

4) Why people complain about the price of beer (or food, or t-shirts, or ...) at a sporting event. You want cheap beer, buy a case of Milwaukee's Best at WalMart and sit on your couch. Otherwise, shut up and accept the fact that part of the price of that beer is subsidizing the event overhead, the cost of putting on the show and even the pay of the poor schmuck who's lugging it up 30 flights of stairs to bring it to you.

(climbing down off soapbox)
Thank you for letting me get that out.

Chris

1) Why every track has to be the same. No two baseball stadiums are the same, no two golf courses, no two NASCAR, Motocross, or F1 tracks. Heck, even highly regimented games like football, tennis, and soccer have different surfaces, different stand configurations, and so on. Stop pretending that a track in the Everglades is the same as a track in Jersey. There's already one track that can't make the same (Denver), so stop trying. Celebrate the differences, make that part of the challenge (like it is in every other motorsport).

2) Why every other motorsport (including "unlimited budget" F1) has gone to great lengths to limit speeds to make the sports safer and more competitive while NHRA has made a few feeble stabs at it. If it's really a concern, just do something. Anything. Some motion is better than none on a safety issue.

3) Why the countdown is such a problem for some people. It's a method of determining a champion, everyone plays the same game. I don't think it is magic, and I'm pretty sure it's not done anything to increase viewership, but it's hard to deny that it has pushed the championship determination to the last race or two of the season. That's been good for Vegas and Pomona. If that's what they wanted, it did that.

4) Why people complain about the price of beer (or food, or t-shirts, or ...) at a sporting event. You want cheap beer, buy a case of Milwaukee's Best at WalMart and sit on your couch. Otherwise, shut up and accept the fact that part of the price of that beer is subsidizing the event overhead, the cost of putting on the show and even the pay of the poor schmuck who's lugging it up 30 flights of stairs to bring it to you.

Chris

I agree with everything Chris just wrote!:D

Wow. The Burkster admitting he was wrong.........

flying_pigs.jpg

A couple of years ago, he wrote a blast that advocated shortening the race to an eigth mile, and limiting the fields to 8 cars, all in the interest of shortening the program to 3 or so hours, max. Needless to say, If I remember the comments right, a lot of people saluted that idea, but about 80% only used one digit to do it.

$14 for two beers?? Heckfire, last time I was at a Woodpuppies game, you darn near paid that for ONE.

When they moved to a 1000, I figured it wouldn't be long before the engines were exploding with the same regularity, and the crew cheifs didn't disappoint. There have been many ideas from many people of note, from rev liimiters, to smaller fuel pumps, to smaller engines, tires, etc. The big hang up seems to be from the teams themselves, as all of them are loath to have seasons of data go out the window with an entirely new setup. They've got no one else to blame, IMHO.

I think the fuel pumps are the simplest way to go, along with a VERY serious weight gain, in the form of more driver protection. From what we've seen, DSR seems to be going that way now.

You stop televising races, you're going to see a big drop in sponsorship dollars and commitments.

I can agree with Burk on most of what he says and feels. All of us in the 50 to 60 year old age group have a hard time with all of the issues of modern, big show drag racing. I have always felt that drag racing has an inherent problem in that going quicker and faster will lead to its ultimate demise. We all long for the days of a small, independent team not only being competitive, but winning races. Our small type guy now is someone like Bob Vandergriff or Bode (small teams but huge dollars). Big money ruins everything. From IndyCar to Nascar and even the stick and ball sports. Maybe its just the way sports evolve. Big money has made some things much better, but it all comes with a cost. We have some real issues in this sport (and society) that need to be addressed. Soon we will be racing to 660 feet and still blowing stuff up and going 300mph in the 1/8 mile. If we don't makes some drastic changes, we are going to have 8 car fields with 2 owners fielding all the cars. Its time to stop the madness.................Burk is not as far off as you may think!

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe we need some realignment in the what we think is better for the sport.

Interesting observation. Big money screwed it all up---might be interesting, if the big money went away, to see what would happen. Sure seemed like it was a lot more fun before the big money took over. Unfortunately, I am afraid it is a little like opening Pandora's box---probably can put it back where it was.

You stop televising races, you're going to see a big drop in sponsorship dollars and commitments.

dang.. beat me to it...lol...

Randy.. its a bad thing for those that pay the bills to race these cars.... i dont see anything getting any cheaper anytime soon for these cars.... catch 22....

I can see the conversation now Joe. A team is 1 year into a 3 year deal, and has to go to the sponsors and tell them, "Ive got bad news and good news. The bad news is the car's going to spend less time on TV next year because 5 races have been dropped from the schedule. The good news is that it will be QUALITY TIME!!!" :D

Plus, you KNOW that the tracks that get dropped from the TV Schedule will see this as a slap in the face.

Who said anything about eliminating all TV? Keep the Major races, I don't need to see 23 races on TV is all!

There, fixed it for you. You're not speaking for me, I'll tell you that right now. I DO. Unlike you, I can't make a race every year for money and time reasons.

Last edited:
because televising every race has cut into attendance!

What has stopped me from going to a National Event is lack of one within daily drive distance. It's really that simple. VMP gets a race back, I'll go. If not, I won't. Bristol or Maple Grove just a hair to far to to drive, and spend the weekend sleeping in the car. If I can't do a race weekend on $200, I can't afford it.

Some people spend that much on Beer at the track over the weekend... and I honestly feel, once beer crosses your lips, you should not be allowed In The Pits, while the toys are out.:(

d'kid

Chris

I agree 110% with your first comment above - I've felt that way for quite a while.

On #2, however, I think NHRA has a much bigger problem slowing the cars down because if they slow down the fuel cars - and lets face it, that's what we're talking about here - then they'd have to slow down the alcohol cars/A-Fuel cars and then that would trickle down accordingly... NHRA has to ensure that the fuel cars are the quickest, fastest, loudest & baddest hot rods on the grounds or attendance would REALLY suffer. Don't believe me? Go attend a Divisional and tell me how crowded it is. Anyway, perhaps most of the big-buck fuel teams could handle the cost of a major change to slow them down... but the much lesser funded Sportsman teams (at all affected levels) would get hurt a LOT more.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back