Burk's observations (1 Viewer)

Regarding the speed/safety issues with Top Fuel and Funny Car: can someone advise me? It seems that the nostalgia nitro cars are quite popular, much less expensive to run, safe on 1320', and quite quick.
Could the NHRA not use those rules for the Pro's? I think a phase in could reduce some of the opposition to change that occurs when something new is introduced. Perhaps, they could slow the funny cars first and change the T/F rules a year later to provide some time for teams to use up available parts in the current configuration.
I'd appreciate comment from those of you whose understanding of these technical matters is greater than mine.
Thanks,
Ed

Regarding the speed/safety issues with Top Fuel and Funny Car: can someone advise me? It seems that the nostalgia nitro cars are quite popular, much less expensive to run, safe on 1320', and quite quick.
Could the NHRA not use those rules for the Pro's? I think a phase in could reduce some of the opposition to change that occurs when something new is introduced. Perhaps, they could slow the funny cars first and change the T/F rules a year later to provide some time for teams to use up available parts in the current configuration.
I'd appreciate comment from those of you whose understanding of these technical matters is greater than mine.
Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I work on both types of cars, and a change like that would be pretty drastic. You would be looking at going from a 14-71 blower at maximum of 50% over drive to a 6-71 blower at a maximum of 18.9% overdrive. You would go from 100 gpm fuel pump to a 21 gpm pump. You would go from two 44 amp MSD magnetos to a single points type magneto that on average gets about 7-8 amps at most. You would go from a 3.20 rear gear ratio to a 3.90. A five disc clutch setup would become a 3 disc. If they were to adopt this setup, it would slow the cars down by well over a second and a change that severe is not necessary. They would become slower than the alcohol cars. If they are going to slow them down (and this is only my opinion) it only needs to be by a couple tenths and about 15-20 mph. Somewhere in the 4.70 range for TF and 4.90 for FC with speeds somewhere around 310-315.

A change to a single 40-50 gpm fuel pump would effectively slow the cars down more than enough. That would eliminate the need for a 1471 blower and the high overdrive. They could keep the 1471 if they so wished but wouldn't be need to overdrive it that much because of the lower fuel volume. A single spark plug and mag would work almost as well as dual units because of the lower fuel volume and boost.

Ed, I work on both types of cars, and a change like that would be pretty drastic. You would be looking at going from a 14-71 blower at maximum of 50% over drive to a 6-71 blower at a maximum of 18.9% overdrive. You would go from 100 gpm fuel pump to a 21 gpm pump. You would go from two 44 amp MSD magnetos to a single points type magneto that on average gets about 7-8 amps at most. You would go from a 3.20 rear gear ratio to a 3.90. A five disc clutch setup would become a 3 disc. If they were to adopt this setup, it would slow the cars down by well over a second and a change that severe is not necessary. They would become slower than the alcohol cars. If they are going to slow them down (and this is only my opinion) it only needs to be by a couple tenths and about 15-20 mph. Somewhere in the 4.70 range for TF and 4.90 for FC with speeds somewhere around 310-315.

MM,
How about just smaller (less OD) Tires?

just asking

d'kid

Thank you Mike and the others. With that understanding, I'd encourage some action from the NHRA. Obviously, they have to consider the current investment of the teams and the changed market for suppliers.
I want to get back to the quarter mile. A reasonable (and less costly) rules package just might do it.
Cheers,
Ed

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back