IHRA pics and some observations .... (1 Viewer)

vegasnitro

Nitro Member

Click the pic for the pics. No eye candy fellas, mostly because there was none.

This was the first IHRA National Event I attended since 1993. I attend several NHRA events a year, so I found myself doing comparisons in my head between the 2. Then I realized I am getting to see nitro cars race, and I just sat back and enjoyed. Some observations:

Love the smooth, dulcet tones of Bob Unkefer on the mic during Pro Stock.

Did not love the other announcer during the other classes. He did a horrible "Sling Blade" impersonation at least 15 times and keep begging the Torco girls to turn around and wave at him at least 30 times. Talk about the cars or the drivers or SHUT UP. PS "Sling Blade" is over ten years old, time to move on.

Why do they run Pro Stock first?

I will never complain about a NHRA oil-down delay again. On the IHRA side when there is an oil-down, it is a half-hour affair at least.

Where was the crowd? Friday night qualifying, perfect weather and I'll eat my hat if there was 1,000 paid in there tonight. And while we're here, $35 is steep for the Friday program. I pay $42 at Vegas for Fridays and I get TWO qualifying shots and fireworks. In fact $35 may have just answered my question about the sparse crowd. Oh yeah, and it was $10 to park. OOF!

OK OK OK enough whining. There was A LOT to like. As I have already mentioned, the weather and air were absolutely perfect. The track was tight and the cars were flying. Scott Cannon said he saw several other Pro Mods not get down the track so he backed it down ... all it did was run 5.99 @ 240. SICK.

The pits were laid out well, very easy to get around.

Beer was cheap, only $3.

I got to meet fellow Maters Kathy Johnson and Tony Smith. Kathy did not bring her Iron Man (I was going to try to get a pic with it) and Tony Smith is a cool dude. Tony told me adjusted altitude was 50 feet BELOW sea level, told you the air was good!! Always fun to meet people from the Mater.

The Jet truck was cool, a gigantic Freightliner that goes over 200 MPH is something to see.

One thing that struck me as odd was MIR has bathroom attendants. You know like they have at clubs and fancy restaurants. When I am at a drag race I don't want to have some guy trying to hustle me for some cologne or a piece of gum in the bathroom. And he took all of the towels out of the dispenser, so when you washed your hands you had to get your towels from him pretty much obligating you to tip him.

All in all it was a good time, and I am glad I drove over to MIR to check it out. If the IHRA comes to your neck of the woods, I would definitely recommend going, but wait til Saturday when you will get 2 qualifying shots and the "Night of Fire" or Sunday eliminations.

Lastly, MIR would probably be well served not to schedule their National Event 1 week before the NHRA is in Richmond 50 miles away. That also may have contributed to the empty bleachers.

Last edited:

Click the pic for the pics. No eye candy fellas, mostly because there was none.

This was the first IHRA National Event I attended since 1993. I attend several NHRA events a year, so I found myself doing comparisons in my head between the 2. Then I realized I am getting to see nitro cars race, and I just sat back and enjoyed. Some observations:

Love the smooth, dulcet tones of Bob Unkefer on the mic during Pro Stock.

Did not love the other announcer during the other classes. He did a horrible "Sling Blade" impersonation at least 15 times and keep begging the Torco girls to turn around and wave at him at least 30 times. Talk about the cars or the drivers or SHUT UP. PS "Sling Blade" is over ten years old, time to move on.

Why do they run Pro Stock first?

I will never complain about a NHRA oil-down delay again. On the IHRA side when there is an oil-down, it is a half-hour affair at least.

Where was the crowd? Friday night qualifying, perfect weather and I'll eat my hat if there was 1,000 paid in there tonight. And while we're here, $35 is steep for the Friday program. I pay $42 at Vegas for Fridays and I get TWO qualifying shots and fireworks. In fact $35 may have just answered my question about the sparse crowd. Oh yeah, and it was $10 to park. OOF!

OK OK OK enough whining. There was A LOT to like. As I have already mentioned, the weather and air were absolutely perfect. The track was tight and the cars were flying. Scott Cannon said he saw several other Pro Mods not get down the track so he backed it down ... all it did was run 5.99 @ 240. SICK.

The pits were laid out well, very easy to get around.

Beer was cheap, only $3.

I got to meet fellow Maters Kathy Johnson and Tony Smith. Kathy did not bring her Iron Man (I was going to try to get a pic with it) and Tony Smith is a cool dude. Tony told me adjusted altitude was 50 feet BELOW sea level, told you the air was good!! Always fun to meet people from the Mater.

The Jet truck was cool, a gigantic Freightliner that goes over 200 MPH is something to see.

One thing that struck me as odd was MIR has bathroom attendants. You know like they have at clubs and fancy restaurants. When I am at a drag race I don't want to have some guy trying to hustle me for some cologne or a piece of gum in the bathroom. And he took all of the towels out of the dispenser, so when you washed your hands you had to get your towels from him pretty much obligating you to tip him.

All in all it was a good time, and I am glad I drove over to MIR to check it out. If the IHRA comes to your neck of the woods, I would definitely recommend going, but wait til Saturday when you will get 2 qualifying shots and the "Night of Fire" or Sunday eliminations.

Lastly, MIR would probably be well served not to schedule their National Event 1 week before the NHRA is in Richmond 50 miles away. That also may have contributed to the empty bleachers.

Chris, I haven't been to Budds Creek in over twenty years... from what you've said, sounds like it's improved alot. Yeah, Budds' close enough to DC that it should bring in larger crowds... what you get is a lot of Military... back in the day, we'd run a Friday night show there, then Saturday at Cecil, then back home to Suffolk on Sunday... you get the drift... Air's always been great there, I take it the track is still out in the woods... and only about 50 feet above sea level?

Think it more like 100 or so inland to the "Richmond" track... 20 to DC, 60 DC to Richmond, another 20 or so south west to the track... gonna look at the ten day in a few...

Nice pics....as I found out for myself...IHRA races can be a lot of fun...but you really can't compare them to NHRA...not saying that one is better than the other...just way different..... ;)

Nice pics....as I found out for myself...IHRA races can be a lot of fun...but you really can't compare them to NHRA...not saying that one is better than the other...just way different..... ;)

Anytime they are running nitro, mountain motor pro stock and pro mods ... you should be able to have a good time. I really hope my post did not come accross as whiny or negative towards IHRA, because I really did have a good time and I would definitely go again. As I told Tony Smith last night, I was trying to figure out a way that I could stay for today, but it just couldn't work out so I am now back in Vegas wishing I was in Budd's Creek.

Karl, the track is still out in the middle of nowhere and still surrounded by trees to help with that good air. I have never been there before, but I would say the bleachers, bathrooms and concession stands are all the same from the last time you were there.

The track underwent a major renovation a few years ago and is not the sleepy little dragstrip people may remember from ten years ago. They moved the starting line back to make the track long enough for the fuel cars, expanded the pit area (several times), built a new tower, moved the access road so it no longer crosses the end of the track....it's a whole different track and one of the nicest on the IHRA tour.

Had mineshaft air tonight, blew the national records away in Pro Stock and Pro Mod. The track has plenty of bite and is smooth, one of the keys to good runs in both classes. The teams knew what they had to work with and came up swinging for the fences.

Anytime they are running nitro, mountain motor pro stock and pro mods ... you should be able to have a good time. I really hope my post did not come accross as whiny or negative towards IHRA, because I really did have a good time and I would definitely go again. As I told Tony Smith last night, I was trying to figure out a way that I could stay for today, but it just couldn't work out so I am now back in Vegas wishing I was in Budd's Creek.

Karl, the track is still out in the middle of nowhere and still surrounded by trees to help with that good air. I have never been there before, but I would say the bleachers, bathrooms and concession stands are all the same from the last time you were there.

From you photos, yeah, the tower's new and improved, the stands look about the same, just more, and if there's more than one bathroom, that's an upgrade... and I'm glad the pits have been enlarged... they were tight with a crewcab dually and a goose neck box...

Think I'll try to sneak up there next year... only a couple of hours north of here... thanks for the photos...

d'kid

Pro Stock is run 1st, then Pro Mod because it's they are the only pro classes that IHRA has that are a 16 car field.

Hey Chris...it was great meeting you @ BC! Sorry I didn't have my Iron Man with me....he's safe at home, paitenly awaiting another!

Kevin gave it a good try for the team. Got down to the semi's and went .005 under. SIGH.

Gotta say it was a great weekend all in all....and my BFF...(yes, I had to go there)...Laurie Cannister along with her husband Dale....ROCKED AFC!!!

So glad you're back Laurie!:D:D

PS Chris.....good thing my husband doesn't get on the computer, he would think I had a boyfriend or something.......last name...Fisher....not Johnson. LOL ;)

Hope you can come back next year....or to another IHRA race soon!

Hey Chris...it was great meeting you @ BC! Sorry I didn't have my Iron Man with me....he's safe at home, paitenly awaiting another!

Kevin gave it a good try for the team. Got down to the semi's and went .005 under. SIGH.

Gotta say it was a great weekend all in all....and my BFF...(yes, I had to go there)...Laurie Cannister along with her husband Dale....ROCKED AFC!!!

So glad you're back Laurie!:D:D

PS Chris.....good thing my husband doesn't get on the computer, he would think I had a boyfriend or something.......last name...Fisher....not Johnson. LOL ;)

Hope you can come back next year....or to another IHRA race soon!

I thought about you telling me about Laurie when I saw she won. I am so happy for your friends I hope you guys had a big party after she won.

It was good meeting you guys too, and tell your husband the semi's aren't bad!!!

I definitely would come back to an IHRA race, but none of them are near Vegas, and it was sheer coincidence that got me to Budd's Creek. hopefully sometime next season I will be working near another event so I can check it out again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back