Some Rockingham/IHRA Observations (1 Viewer)

Kati

Nitro Member
Hello all......

I have been so darn busy for the past month, I haven't hardly been able to jump on here to read anything....let alone post much.

Just returned from Rockingham...and wow.... While it may not have been the best weekend for my team.....(and my DRIVING...sigh...:eek:)...the event itself was GREAT!

What continues to amaze me about IHRA is......

#1 - We have had two lanes of racing at IHRA events
#2 - There were so many extremely close professional "DRAG RACES" that I would run out of fingers and toes....(and yes...I have all 20....lol) I'm talking about thousanths at the top end. It was so awesome!
#3 - No astronomical fines handed out to anyone.............:rolleyes:
#4 - No racers were fined for leaving the track before the event is over.
#5 - Last but not least..........WE HAD ICARD!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!! :D

As usual, the NC fans were awesome and for the most part we had fantastic weather. This was only my second time attending the Spring Rock race...and my first competing.

Way to go IHRA!

(and very nice to meet Billy Weeks!! I know you had FUN helping out Jack! :D)

I have not had a chance to get out to an IHRA event as yet. I would really like to. That many REALLY fast door cars, that many great classes and great people working a great association.

So, if I were to splurge, what event would be the best to hit?

I have not had a chance to get out to an IHRA event as yet. I would really like to. That many REALLY fast door cars, that many great classes and great people working a great association.

So, if I were to splurge, what event would be the best to hit?

I'd make it Martin, Edmonton or Epping... those are my favorite if you only get to choose one...

I agree with Kathy that it was a great weekend (for all those reasons and more) - but I would like to see something done about Sunday crowds - it's kind of a let down after the SRO on Saturday.

I say rip a page from Kenny's ADRL promotion book and give away a couple of hundred thousand Sunday tickets. At least beer and t-shirt sales will be better

I do have my favorite facilities, some from a racers standpoint....some from a racer/fan standpoint.

Martin is great....I have fallen in LOVE with Epping, esp...because of the area...and the SEAFOOD FEST. Budds Creek is a really nice track..........Milan 'cause well...the staff there is great and it's what we consider our home track. Hmmmmmmmmm.........any of the 3 Canada races...'casue the Canadian fans are just something else. (man I hope we can keep the racing up there.) I don't know first hand about Tulsa....but someday we'll get there.

I would like to see the Sunday head count up, too........and it's better at some tracks than others. It's a dirty shame when there are so many GOOD side-by-side throw downs on race day. Folks are missing out. I don't care what the TV coverage is like....there is nothing like being there in person!

Please...please...if any of you are at any of the IHRA events....(except Tulsa & Edmonton....we don't have them on our sked....if we just had more $$$$$).....come look us up! We will always be fairly close to the manufacturer's midway since we are an IHRA contingency sponsor this year......with our display and car(s).

:D

Last edited:
PS....another Rockingham/IHRA Observation - Military Ticket Prices.......

#6 - Military: All General Admission tickets just $20. save $15 on Friday and Sunday and $20 on Saturday. Must show valid military i.d at the box office on the day of the show. not valid on tickets purchased in advance.

That's much better than 10% off....and they didn't have to come in uniform! (citing Jon Asher's article on Comp +)

Kathy... my pleasure meeting you... and yes..working with Jack was a blast.. and a learning experiance....

Personaly.. i have enjoied the IHRA events much more than the NHRA shows.. and until recently... all my experiances have been as a fan/spectator.... yep from friday to sunday.....

Also.. thanks to Scotty Cannon helping us..Jack Wyatt.. get in contact with a couple of his old TF crew guys for the crew help.....

Billy

I went to the Martin event last year and I am planning a return visit this year. I loved it and I would recommend it to anyone.

We have done a few races on (the other side) and guess what, IHRA actually cares that we showed up!! And even if we dont have seven semis and four cars they still like us. weirdest thing Ive ever seen.

We have done a few races on (the other side) and guess what, IHRA actually cares that we showed up!! And even if we dont have seven semis and four cars they still like us. weirdest thing Ive ever seen.

I couldn't agree with your post more Curtis. But, everytime an NHRA team runs on the "other side", they always say how wonderful it was and that the sanctioning body cares and the fans are the best they've seen and..........most of us with an attached brainstem can weed our way through the BS part of the prior statements and most NHRA racers are genuine when they say that. If its so good and the money is the same to win, but less to compete, then is it the sponsors that are the only thing keeping them away? Maybe the TV coverage? Is it possible that the quality of cars can push the sanctioning body to get a better TV package?
I know 24 races is brutal on budgets, but more importantly on the crew...11 races is a great alternative for the underfinanced teams, especially if they pay the same and cost less to run....

I think both "-HRA's" have their good and bad sides. As I see it, NHRA is all about pagentry and prestige. IHRA is about the fun of racing (as it should be) and the act of being a participant takes on a whole new meaning.

There is something about the show that Ihra puts on that is really cool. I can't figure out what it is but at an NHRA event the stands empty for anything but nitro but on the ihra side on saturday night people watch everything. I've been to several of the nationals at Martin and will be heading to Milan this year too.

"There is something about the show that Ihra puts on that is really cool. I can't figure out what it is but at an NHRA event the stands empty for anything but nitro but on the ihra side on saturday night people watch everything"

I noticed this too when I went. There was alot of loud betting in the stands, for money and for fun. This added to the excitement of the races.
Im glad everyone had such a great time! I have been to Rockingham once last year and loved going to the IHRA race there.

Last edited:
Hey Mark.....we miss Fred! It's too bad he can't be out there with us....this year AFC is really exciting!!!

Ok...and it helps that not only have I been hired by Kalbones Racing to do PR....but Laurie is my best friend!! :D Guess that makes it an extra exciting year so far!

Hope you guys can at least come out to Epping or something!

In IHRA the AFC battle in 2008 will end up being a war!

Laurie is definately on a roll, but with prior champs Thomas & Atchison, Doc Carter returning along with the always hard charging Dale Brand, the fields are going to continue to be tough for everyone involved, and that just makes the racing that much better. And with Paul Nokes, Terry Munroe, Neal Parker and the rest.....whew.......

See you all @ Milan.

Unk

PJ, look me up @ Milan.........

Bob....you took the words right out of my mouth.

AFC will be the closest class of the season...all this talent...driving and behind the scenes.....wow....

Dare I say...."too much FUN!?!??"

nahhhhhhh..... ;) Lovin' it!

PS...always good to see you Unk....and man...you're sounding as good as ever!

WE LOVE YA!!

PJ......come look us up, too...I've always wanted to meet you and say "Hi"!

Bob and Kathy will do.

I'll be there Saturday

But Curtis, you forgot to tell everyone about your new hat!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back