WHP Observations (1 Viewer)

Mark Lyle had a go-round with the Gas Monkey PS team when they wouldn't shut off when they were instructed, they pushed their limits and got their hands smacked. The team had a problem getting the car back to the start line after their burnout, a little too long for Mark since Jason Line was ready to run and he told them to shut off. They in turn, ignored him and attempted to stage when Mark came over and attempted to shut the passenger side door and it got a little physical; but, they got it smoothed out after Jason's run.

Marks the starter and what he says goes....Oh do I miss Buster :)

Your principles makes sense theoretically. But when you think about it, the whole concept of concessions would die. That's where the money is in every sport. We know they are ridiculously over-priced, but the profit margin for the facility and the firm managing the concessions is how they make money.

Movie Theaters, Ballparks, Race Tracks, Fairs, Carnivals, etc. all make their profit this way. If we are allowed to bring in our own food, what is the economic impact to that business owner?

Another issue is space. If you bring in your monster cooler then it jams up the seats, especially if the bleachers have backs to them.

I too like to bring a little something in, especially on the really hot days. Can't stand dumping so much cash on food/drinks. Especially when it's not just me but the family as well

Marks the starter and what he says goes....Oh do I miss Buster :)

Don't we all...the only physical altercation that would have occured if Mr. Couch was on that line...would have been his honorable foot being promptly placed in "Ass Monkey's" butt...:D Sorry ya'll but those guys just seem like total...well...ass monkey's.

But hey...they all knew who was in charge by the end of it and that is all that matters. I don't want to make people's stomach churn by bringing up RS....my nieces stuff animal has more genitalia than that goober did.

Anyway....to the cooler size comment...I am pretty sure that the biggest you were every allowed to come in with was a small playmate....and most people had no issue with those.

Don't we all...the only physical altercation that would have occured if Mr. Couch was on that line...would have been his honorable foot being promptly placed in "Ass Monkey's" butt...:D Sorry ya'll but those guys just seem like total...well...ass monkey's.
So why are we comparing Mark to Buster? Did Mark not get the necessary result? 2 different people, 2 different era's. In today's NHRA and social setting even Buster wouldn't get away with some of his past antics. Buster was great, but the world was different then. He would have been a regular visitor to HR and Legal Affairs in today's NHRA. Trust me. ;)

I sometimes think that much of Buster's legacy is that of urban myth, especially by the old guard fans. I saw much of his career and footage of the famous incidents. He was always in control, no doubt. But many seem to recall a rough and tumble guy that would be throwing dukes or rolling on the ground at the drop of a hat. Don't recall ever hearing of (or seeing) anything more than really heated arguments. That's just my take.

Anyway, Mark is a great Manager of the starting line area and the people that work for him on a weekly basis. He shows complete control of the most dangerous area (MHO) of a drag strip in what can only be described as total chaos with all the crew people that stand up there and all the activity.

He HAS TO act differently today, it's just how it is. But if you don't believe in his authority, chest up to him 1 time and look him in the eye. He's a BIG guy.

Great post Jim. I think some here that have been around the sport awhile get too caught up in making comparisons between the sport today and how it was decades ago, and who was in it. To me it looked like Mark handled the situation with authority. And what's wrong with the Gas Monkey guys? I mean, they're helping keep a PS car out there, and we need that big time. People complain that we don't have the personalities of years ago, but then when someone new or different gets involved, they get bashed too. :rolleyes:

I think Mark handled well, GM guys are new and trying get through the changes like all the PS teams and need all the passes they can get, they had transmission issues, maybe Jason could have waited a little longer but then again they are running Elite power.

Now talking about Buster my first NHRA event was at inaugural Texas 86 event and when i pulled up to water Buster came over and open my door explained how he works and wished me luck. I got the impression real quick on how to handle myself at the starting line.

I think Mark handled well, GM guys are new and trying get through the changes like all the PS teams and need all the passes they can get, they had transmission issues, maybe Jason could have waited a little longer but then again they are running Elite power.

Now talking about Buster my first NHRA event was at inaugural Texas 86 event and when i pulled up to water Buster came over and open my door explained how he works and wished me luck. I got the impression real quick on how to handle myself at the starting line.

Actually, the Gas Monkey team is running Gray power.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back