What am I going to write about this year? (1 Viewer)

I agree that covering Densham would be great to see. That guy has paid his dues at SIR/Pacific raceways. He has to have as many FC passes down that track as any.

On another note, I haven't seen or heard of any of the Fiorito's plans being executed yet. Have you?

On another note, I haven't seen or heard of any of the Fiorito's plans being executed yet. Have you?

I was hoping too that Kris could update us.

Yesterday I was out at the track for the divisional race and the only thing that I noticed that was different from last years' Nat's was a hole in the ground!!!:p

Seriously, as you drive in on the main road (southbound) by the so-called "will call" spot, on the right/west-side, that entire area is now under construction. It has been "scooped" out and looks like what I imagine a sunken track with grandstands up the sides would like like BUT WITH nothing there but dirt. So maybe we will eventually have a N-S running track. :)

I was hoping too that Kris could update us.

Yesterday I was out at the track for the divisional race and the only thing that I noticed that was different from last years' Nat's was a hole in the ground!!!:p

Seriously, as you drive in on the main road (southbound) by the so-called "will call" spot, on the right/west-side, that entire area is now under construction. It has been "scooped" out and looks like what I imagine a sunken track with grandstands up the sides would like like BUT WITH nothing there but dirt. So maybe we will eventually have a N-S running track. :)

It looked like that last year at the national race. I asked when I called in to renew my tickets a couple of months ago and they said that was for a motocross track. But that doesn't make sense, as on the plan it matches with what you said -- the N-S running drag race track.

We're going to be out there next week running at the test & tune, I was planning to ask more then.

See, I was hoping to write about the renovation planned for Pacific Raceways earlier in the spring, but like I said I showed up at the appointed time and the media relations person was in a meeting. My main job is news writing (I'm a former sportswriter) and it seems like I can't find a way to carve out some time to harass her some more but I plan to ...

I concur, though, I was out at the track a month or so ago and didn't see much change at all ... I think another angle I will take to get some info is to call the County's DDES which I believe is handling the permitting for the project. I can roll with it from there.

I may tackle the topic of safety but at this point it's hard to tell ... by stop two of the Western Swing there may not be much to talk about or the topic will have been beaten into the ground. Besides, I need this feature to appeal to a broad audience, and I think that it may be too technical to get people to open up, read and say, hey, I want to go check out this event. :)

I think I may have to ask for a little help from one of my colleagues in the organization who used to cover NHRA when it came to town for the daily before our new ownership shut it down. He's now editor of one of the other papers in our group.

So, I think I've got it narrowed down to the independent drivers take, particularly given the success of Tim Wilkerson right now or Dave Connolly and his efforts to make up lost ground ... plus maybe a nod to the success of the women in the sport this year.

Unless someone else drops a totally phenomenal story in my lap that I just can't resist ... like last year. :D

. . .
I may tackle the topic of safety but at this point it's hard to tell ... by stop two of the Western Swing there may not be much to talk about or the topic will have been beaten into the ground. :D

With all due respect, safety will be at the forefront of this sport until we stop loosing our heros in avoidable incidents. John Medlen will now "beat into the ground" for the remainder of his days as a tribute to Eric and to further benefit the sport he loves. I believe he needs a couple hundred others working to make our sport safer with the same commitment level he has. God forbid it should take more losses.

It looked like that last year at the national race. I asked when I called in to renew my tickets a couple of months ago and they said that was for a motocross track. But that doesn't make sense, as on the plan it matches with what you said -- the N-S running drag race track.

We're going to be out there next week running at the test & tune, I was planning to ask more then.
Thanks Chris. Last year my then girlfriend was with me so I guess I didn't notice the big hole in the ground. :eek:

Good luck @ the T-n-T and let me know if they have anything interesting to say.:D

Kris; would that be Jessica @ PR? Good luck!

I like the independents take as the "South End" is more of a workin' class area and would really understand economics of going it alone.:)

As far as I know, that`s all her job entails Wayne. I think she`s done a good job since Elizabeth left...but maybe you know different.

With all due respect, safety will be at the forefront of this sport until we stop loosing our heros in avoidable incidents. John Medlen will now "beat into the ground" for the remainder of his days as a tribute to Eric and to further benefit the sport he loves. I believe he needs a couple hundred others working to make our sport safer with the same commitment level he has. God forbid it should take more losses.

Don't misunderstand me, I am in no way trying to minimize the importance of safety, I am simply saying having observed the ebb and flow of stories and topics during the past four years, it's just a balancing act that has to do with this story given the mission of our newspapers as well as the audience I write for; while safety is of utmost importance to those of us who are more than just casual fans it may not be a topic that I can support having broad appeal ... and I think it is entirely possible to wear people out on a topic regardless of its significance and that could happen quite easily during the next month.

Last edited:
No, the person I am dealing with is not Jessica, I won't call her out on the board because that's a little bit unfair but I will try and get in touch with her in the next week or so depending on if I pick up any more meetings this week.

So I made up my mind and will be making a couple calls today/tomorrow to Densham and Wilkerson.

I may try and get some info for a sidebar on safety.

Thanks for all the ideas, folks, and the connections. Yet another reason I love the 'Mater.

We've got the story planned for July 16. I will post a link once it runs.

Thanks again. :)

Boy, I do like the Year of the Woman idea, it would allow me to present the idea that the sport is not only diverse but draws a diverse crowd which is something I think separates it from other motor sports. :)
Thoughts?

Kris,with all due respect I've been to Pacific Raceways for the Natl's 5 times from '96-'04 and like many other tracks draws a typically White male crowd, about 75%! Some races primarily in the South draw a pretty diverse crowd, but not the West Coast.

But back to your question about stories, I think a story about just how much it costs these teams to be out there competing is always a good one. People are struck by what it costs to put a Fuel car and even a Pro Stocker on the track.

Last edited:
Joe, read up to the post right above Dalton's. :D

I spoke with Tim and Gary today. Gary is particularly hard hit by the increase in fuel costs (both nitro and diesel).

Both super nice guys as expected. :)

Anyway, just need to pull together some photos.

Joe, you've missed out by the way, I've been going to the races up here since 2004 and I'd say 2005 was the best one I've been to yet at PR. :p You just think it's 75 percent males because there's not enough eye candy for ya! ;)

But, yeah, the story is going to be in the July 16 issue. Here's hoping we can get it as many of our Reporter newspapers as possible since it draws spectators from throughout the region. *crosses fingers for 13 paper circulation*

The big hole in the ground is the new Karting Track. The information sign for the NS track was just put up about a month ago. I received the informational flyer in the mail. And from what I hear, it is only for the brackets, not the pros. The fields on the left of the entrance track are being cleared for sports courts. That property was bought by a rec/park company.

The big hole in the ground is the new Karting Track. The information sign for the NS track was just put up about a month ago. I received the informational flyer in the mail. And from what I hear, it is only for the brackets, not the pros. The fields on the left of the entrance track are being cleared for sports courts. That property was bought by a rec/park company.

Yup, yup, karting track. Shifter kart, sunken track, IIRC.

The athletic complex is called SPARK, it's an acronym, Sports Park for Amateur Recreation in King Count ... overseen by Northwest Parks Foundation, a non-profit (Northwest Parks Foundation).

Maybe I can see if I can track down Jason Fiorito this weekend and ask him what's up.

I live right next to the track , so I try to keep up on what I can . Jason has been very nice to deal with and an easy guy to talk to. Doug is a nice guy too.

I'm really bummed SIR took out that Grandstand next to the Tower! That was the closest seat in Drag racing!:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back