Seattle race is approaching. Who do I interview this year? (2 Viewers)

Kris

Nitro Member
I have a few thoughts on who I could talk to heading into the Seattle race this year for the community newspaper I work for ... my communities are nearest the track, Covington and Maple Valley, but I will probably share with Auburn and Kent, as well.

In the past couple years I've interviewed a bunch of funny car drivers so I would like to either interview a pro stock driver or a top fueler. I am kind of thinking about talking to Larry Dixon since he's with a new team and all this year.

Another thought I had was to talk to a team owner about the economics of racing, particularly the costs related to the Western Swing, and what they're doing to survive.

So suggestions for drivers I might want to talk to? Or team owners?

Thanks for the help. :)

Ed McCulloch probably has a few stories. Hey Kris have you heard of any fan releif on ticket prices?

What about Joe Hartley and the disadvantages they encounter being a single team doing the full 24 race tour without the benefit of any sponsor. If you'd like to feature him I can help set up an interview for you Kris, and I'm sure an underfunded team like that would love some ink.

I keep saying every year to talk with Walt and Pat Austin.
Lord knows I`m far from being a Capps fan, but I like "the Ace". I`m sure he`s got some great stories racing about racing at that track.
Maybe some of the drivers that used to race up there when they ran the 64 funny cars: Prudhomme, McCulloch, Force, Densham are guys that did it.

Great ideas everyone. An in depth interview with the Hartleys would be extremely interesting. I have another suggestion to consider--how bout Mike Edwards? I know he's gotten a lot more camera time this year, but very little opportunity to discuss the magnitude of moving from buying/leasing horsepower to creating your own. I'd love to hear what Mike would have for you if you were able to set down with him. I think his "overnight success" (after all these years toiling in the lower PS ranks, getting round wins and sometimes event wins on his driving skills) story would be very interesting. I also think it would be interesting to hear Mike talk about his faith without fear of offending a sponsor, owner, etc. He is a very devout man, but he demonstrates his faith by example rather than word. From my time in the PS pits, it seems that Mike Edwards is liked and respected almost universally by his peers in the pro stock class. He is truly one of the "good ones" in professional drag racing. Just a suggestion, Kris, but I think a Mike Edwards "unplugged" type of interview would be a great read!!!

What about Joe Hartley and the disadvantages they encounter being a single team doing the full 24 race tour without the benefit of any sponsor. If you'd like to feature him I can help set up an interview for you Kris, and I'm sure an underfunded team like that would love some ink.
I 3rd Mike's suggestion.:)
Doesn't Joe normally work in the Portland area? That's local.

Kris; as a side note, interview yourself. Seriously, tell us/the readers how you got started (in both jouranlism & racing). And tell us/the readers about the new nitro-family member!
;)

Great ideas everyone. An in depth interview with the Hartleys would be extremely interesting. I have another suggestion to consider--how bout Mike Edwards? I know he's gotten a lot more camera time this year, but very little opportunity to discuss the magnitude of moving from buying/leasing horsepower to creating your own. I'd love to hear what Mike would have for you if you were able to set down with him. I think his "overnight success" (after all these years toiling in the lower PS ranks, getting round wins and sometimes event wins on his driving skills) story would be very interesting. I also think it would be interesting to hear Mike talk about his faith without fear of offending a sponsor, owner, etc. He is a very devout man, but he demonstrates his faith by example rather than word. From my time in the PS pits, it seems that Mike Edwards is liked and respected almost universally by his peers in the pro stock class. He is truly one of the "good ones" in professional drag racing. Just a suggestion, Kris, but I think a Mike Edwards "unplugged" type of interview would be a great read!!!

....I totally agree :cool:

Joe Hartley with his dad, 'keeping it in the family', Brady Kalivoda i am sure he will be there. 'being on the side lines' Ron Capps 'his first win in Roger Primm's Top Fuel Dragster.
If you can write a good story Kris- those three would be worth reading to OTHER THAN THE TRADITIONAL DRAG RACING FAN.

How bout doing interviews with local racers? The Hartley's, Ron Smith, Craig Smith. Might be an interesting article with the low budget guys, what it takes to get there, etc. Just a thought...

One pro team we hardly hear a peep about is John Force's. :p
No, really, I say go find the most part-time, shoe-string budget, grass-roots sportsman racer on the premesis.... the one who's literally shocked just to be competing at the nationals. Tell that person's story..... let people know about his or her dreams.... and make people understand that this is real... it happens..... and John Force, Warren Johnson both started out that exact same way. We need to get more people into the sport!

Last edited:
I would suggest, interviewing those, who have small sponsors who do not get exposure, or nearly enough. Help a local racer who has signage of some sort too, so his local sponsor sees their company name in the paper and can frame it up on their wall, which reminds them to sponsor again.
Think help a racer out, and if they do not remember to mention kudos to their sponsor feed them into it, to get the disired effect to help them out.
The big boys, with big sponsors, we can read about them anytime we like just about, its the unknowns and not enough knowns that make for intersting reading to me at least.

gary densham if he's there.

I did interview him last year so I have to scratch that.

Ed McCulloch probably has a few stories. Hey Kris have you heard of any fan releif on ticket prices?

That is an interesting idea. I have not heard anything about special prices like we had at Vegas 1. I'll look into it, though, and see if I can find anything out.

I actually really like both the idea of talking to Joe Hartley and Mike Edwards. I have always been impressed with Edwards whenever I walk by his pit.

I 3rd Mike's suggestion.:)
Doesn't Joe normally work in the Portland area? That's local.

Kris; as a side note, interview yourself. Seriously, tell us/the readers how you got started (in both jouranlism & racing). And tell us/the readers about the new nitro-family member!
;)

I can certainly write a column to that effect, at least as far as how I got into journalism and drag racing. That's a good idea. My readers know all about our new addition ... I've written a couple columns on the topic already and we've posted a poll to the Web site.

Now I love the idea of talking to a low budget or independent team but I did that last year with Densham and Tim Wilkerson. It really came out well.

And the sportsman racer thing is a lot harder than it sounds. I did that two years ago and was able to connect with two local racers. Because of the focus of our newspapers we would need sportsman people that are from very specific places right here in our readership area.

I am going to chew over the Mike Edwards and Joe Hartley idea for leading up to the race. Perhaps I can do a Q&A with Ed McCullough (maybe a video piece we can post to the web?) during race weekend.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. This has really helped me focus in on what I can write about. :)

I have a few thoughts on who I could talk to heading into the Seattle race this year for the community newspaper I work for ... my communities are nearest the track, Covington and Maple Valley, but I will probably share with Auburn and Kent, as well.

In the past couple years I've interviewed a bunch of funny car drivers so I would like to either interview a pro stock driver or a top fueler. I am kind of thinking about talking to Larry Dixon since he's with a new team and all this year.

Another thought I had was to talk to a team owner about the economics of racing, particularly the costs related to the Western Swing, and what they're doing to survive.

Terry Haddock is the man. If he had the $$$ he'd be right up front. And he's as local as local can be. The other guys only come out to play for this race and they're not a factor.

So suggestions for drivers I might want to talk to? Or team owners?

Thanks for the help. :)

Terry Haddock is the guy you want to interview for a local. Or you could do also do one of the money teams and do a comparison.The other locals only come out to play for this event only and aren't a factor.

Terry Haddock is the guy you want to interview for a local. Or you could do also do one of the money teams and do a comparison.The other locals only come out to play for this event only and aren't a factor.

How is he local? I don't know much about him and his driver profile on nhra.com says he is from New Jersey. I'm not finding anything about where he is based now. Plus I really would like to interview someone not in the funny car class since I've interviewed half the field at this point.

Kris, Brad & Bernie Plourd are local to Maple Valley. Both have extensive Sportsman experience travelling around the country would probably be an interesting interview.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back