The reporter wants suggestions (1 Viewer)

Kris

Nitro Member
So, this year, I'm taking a two pronged approach to the Northwest Nationals the third weekend in July. Since it's about a month away I'm really seriously contemplating how to cover it.

On one side, we're going to try and profile local sportsman racers (posted another thread in that area) but on the other side I will still need to do a main story in advance to let people know about the event.

So, here is where I ask for suggestions. I could probably interview two or three drivers/owners/crew chiefs/etc. for the advance story. Who would you guys like to see us talk to?

I write for a twice-weekly community newspaper called the Covington/Maple Valley Reporter, which is part of a larger group of weeklies and twice weeklies operating under the King County Publications umbrella. This year will be interesting since this is the first year since the Northwest Nationals started that there is no Journal/Valley Daily News in South King County to cover it.

Hit me with your ideas.

Kris, take a drive down I-5 to Tacoma and do an interview with the alltime winningest alcohol racer in NHRA history, Pat Austin. Or better yet, see if you could get Pat, Walt and Bucky Austin to all sit down together. That would be an epic piece!

Kris, take a drive down I-5 to Tacoma and do an interview with the alltime winningest alcohol racer in NHRA history, Pat Austin. Or better yet, see if you could get Pat, Walt and Bucky Austin to all sit down together. That would be an epic piece!

I'll second this motion. :)

put a link to the countdown peititon in the article :)

I've heard Bucky Austin's name mentioned before around this area ... all ideas are considered, so keep 'em coming. I've got a couple weeks I think. :)

For Sportsman, you have some really great S/C racers Violet Larsen, and Ty Anderson. Greg Carlyle very good top Dragster guy, Dick Van De Meer and let's not forget past National Champ Mike Henderson (who is such a nice person!!!)

Alky -- Brian Hough, Clint Thompson, Joey Severance, The husband & wife team of Kim & Randy Parker (her in TAD him in TA/FC)

In Super Pro (which I know won't be racing at that event) there is an AMAZING WOMAN named Vicki Strell that has just won her 5th wally, even more amazing is she is dianosed with MS and still keeps on keeping on with a positive and winning attitude, She's a real charm!! If ever given the opportunity, they would step it up for sure!!!

If you go south at all, you have Ed Sigmon and Doug Lambert too for Comp , both very good racers with longevity.

Well, that's my .02 worth, there are so many good racers / people out there that I'm sure who ever you write about, it will be all good.

Kind regards,
nancy

For Sportsman, you have some really great S/C racers Violet Larsen, and Ty Anderson. Greg Carlyle very good top Dragster guy, Dick Van De Meer and let's not forget past National Champ Mike Henderson (who is such a nice person!!!)

Alky -- Brian Hough, Clint Thompson, Joey Severance, The husband & wife team of Kim & Randy Parker (her in TAD him in TA/FC)

In Super Pro (which I know won't be racing at that event) there is an AMAZING WOMAN named Vicki Strell that has just won her 5th wally, even more amazing is she is dianosed with MS and still keeps on keeping on with a positive and winning attitude, She's a real charm!! If ever given the opportunity, they would step it up for sure!!!

If you go south at all, you have Ed Sigmon and Doug Lambert too for Comp , both very good racers with longevity.

Well, that's my .02 worth, there are so many good racers / people out there that I'm sure who ever you write about, it will be all good.

Kind regards,
nancy

Thanks for all these suggestions! I'll look into them and see if they'll work for our readership. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

oops, I meant Doug Lambeck (sorry)

and you're welcome.

maybe some more people will join in and give you some more names as well.

take care,

Bucky & Walt Austin still do not play well together. Should you be interested in talking to Clint Thompson prior to the event, you can reach him at Cascade Chevrolet in Klamath Falls, OR.

Also, Steve Federlin, (alcohol dragster) out of Oregon City, OR would be a good one. He's been through some severe health issues in the last few years, plus a crash the beginning of this year. He's not driving any more, but has a driver in his new car. He & Patty are super people.

Sorry, I should have been a little bit more clear about locales ... I posted a thread in the sportsman area with deets on those folks. I am looking for drivers from the Seattle-area as far as sportsmen -- Kent, Renton, Auburn, Covington, Maple Valley, Sumner, Bellevue, Redmond, Bothell, Kenmore, Kirkland. Those are the cities we cover.

I was also hoping for suggestions as to pros I could talk to for the main story. I am thinking I would like to interview Mike Ashley. Any one else from the pro ranks y'all would suggest?

Thanks again for all your help.

Sorry, I should have been a little bit more clear about locales ...
I was also hoping for suggestions as to pros I could talk to for the main story. I am thinking I would like to interview Mike Ashley. Any one else from the pro ranks y'all would suggest?
Kris, Pat Austin did win four T/F races, at the same time he was running in TAFC, just so ya know. You might want to also think about pieces on local T/F driver Brady Kalivoda or on Sportsman driver Brad Plourd.

Kris, Pat Austin did win four T/F races, at the same time he was running in TAFC, just so ya know. You might want to also think about pieces on local T/F driver Brady Kalivoda or on Sportsman driver Brad Plourd.

Yes, Brad Plourd I believe is actually my neck of the woods (Maple Valley), and my co-worker mentioned Kalivoda, as well.
I didn't know that about Pat Austin. Interesting.
We might break this stuff up among the various reporters who cover specific cities. I think I'll write a centerpiece story previewing the event, who will be there, what to expect, a little bit about the fact this will be race no. 5 of six straight, mention the Countdown and how teams might approach the Western Swing a bit differently as a result ... and of course remind people what it's like to be around nitro cars. Heh.

Oh, and my first person experience ... I'm not exactly sure who I'm riding with, but Tracy at Pacific Raceways is putting me in someone's race car around 6 p.m., Saturday, July 7 -- a Pontiac, maybe. That will go with the package, too.

Anything I'm forgetting?

oops, I meant Doug Lambeck (sorry)

and you're welcome.

maybe some more people will join in and give you some more names as well.

take care,
Nancy,

How on earth could you forget the Leerkamps on your list. Stan and JR are some of the toughest (and nicest) racers to inhabit the northwest!! They live in the Seattle area.

Dick Van Demeer lives in Nampa, Idaho.

You could feature Jody and Toby Lang, who live in Puyallup. Both of them are perennial top ten finishers in the stock eliminator championship, and in 2004 they finished fifth and sixth with Jody beating his brother by one single point!
You could also make a case for Mike Ferderer, who was one of the earliest champions in the super gas catagory (1985). How 'bout Ron Capps, whose first career win came at S.I.R in top fuel back in 1995, or Ace McCulloch, who will have his old Northwind dragster unveiled during the race weekend, or......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back