Construction has started on the north-south drag strip at Pacific Raceways? (1 Viewer)

They're all on vacation this week Kris!

I just realized on Tuesday that I have NOT received my renewal notice for Nats tickets. I called & the message said they would be back next week.

Once @ home, I checked the website and was shocked to see that there is NO schedule up yet!!!

I'm not holding my breath on anything out there!!!

How bad is the sun in the afternoon, has anyone been lucky enough to be in the late rounds there and experinced it? Has there ever been a crash that the sun was a factor in. What would a concrete bleacher on the return road side do for the noise? Seems to me the people around there have kind of accepted the track because it was there frist. I think the owner is smoke and mirrows trying to not improve the place anymore then he has to. Oh and Kris good luck it seems you are always asking for an interview from them and never getting anything, and I don't think it is your reporting.

Yep, we've run in the late afternoon (not on race day, but on time runs, and for test and tunes) and at the wrong time of year, the sun is truly terrible. Absolutely can't see the tree, the walls, etc. It's basically straight down the track. They shut down runs for about an hour when it happens.

Now, that said, they're moving the nationals a couple weeks later in the year, and that will (if my astronomy serves me...) move the sun off further to the left (south), which should move it off the direct line, and maybe get it behind the trees sooner.

As for the noise, I dunno. The houses that were built to the south of the track are pretty nice. Lots of money there to fight, and fight, and fight...

They're all on vacation this week Kris!

I just realized on Tuesday that I have NOT received my renewal notice for Nats tickets. I called & the message said they would be back next week.

Once @ home, I checked the website and was shocked to see that there is NO schedule up yet!!!

I'm not holding my breath on anything out there!!!

I figured they were off this week. I'll try again on Monday before I head out first thing Tuesday for a trip to Vegas.

How bad is the sun in the afternoon, has anyone been lucky enough to be in the late rounds there and experinced it? Has there ever been a crash that the sun was a factor in. What would a concrete bleacher on the return road side do for the noise? Seems to me the people around there have kind of accepted the track because it was there frist. I think the owner is smoke and mirrows trying to not improve the place anymore then he has to. Oh and Kris good luck it seems you are always asking for an interview from them and never getting anything, and I don't think it is your reporting.

I would hope not... I've run into Jason at the track since the story I wrote in 2006 and he's always thanked me for the stories I've written and been quite nice to me, so, I think it's just a matter of figuring out the best way to communicate with them and timing it right.
And whatever I can't get from them I can get from the NHRA and I already have the story I wrote in 2006 as well as extensive information from the director of planning for the county (it's called DDES but I can't even remember what that stands for, what's important to know is that's the department that issues permits to the track owners).

My hope is to get enough information before I leave Tuesday morning to get the story written for the Jan. 7 issue. Otherwise it will have to wait until I return from Vegas. I will leave my cell phone number with the folks at the track for Jason to reach me at if he is so inclined, however, during the week I'm out of town. As long as I'm not on the convention floor, I should be able to talk to him.

Christopher thanks for the info, talked to you at the woodburn fall race just for a couple of minutes in the lanes. Sure don't want Seattle to go away because of noise but in this country big money talks most of the time. Let's hope the later date helps the sun problem, pave all the pits and let's race, and Kris keep after them.

I have been to Seattle for the Natl's 7 times, and I don't remember any long delays because of the Sun. 5 Minutes maybe...but 15-20? Not while I was there

I have been to Seattle for the Natl's 7 times, and I don't remember any long delays because of the Sun. 5 Minutes maybe...but 15-20? Not while I was there

Been to the Nat's here every year since '92 and it happens pretty frequently. Very often they time the rounds so that just the sportsman classes are running at that time. Remember that the qualifying rounds are specifically timed to be before and after this issue. And on race day, it's not until the late rounds, meaning they can just give the pro teams another few minutes of prep before they call them up. All they have to do it is have the Geico bozos mess around for a few minutes and you'd never know it.

I vividly remember one year with Warren Johnson getting out of his car in the staging lanes and throwing a full-blown hissy fit. They had PS just sit there in the lanes for at least 20 minutes.

Sun is always a problem on summer eveings there and at Mission.
The southward track would be too short and run off a cliff past the end. Turning it around so the noise carried west away from the houses would be the best idea.

It would be tough to be able to have road racing and drags at the same time with the way the property is. Perhaps a parallel strip starting from the west end beside the current track which would be the road course.

Sorry, but have to speak up again...living only 500 feet from the finish line, I can tell you it is NOT the neighborhood directly next to the track that is complaining. It is the Soos Creek neighborhood behind the track. And if you go over there it is actually louder than being right next door. Not that I am agreeing with them. And after speaking to Jason earlier, the new dragstrip is for the bracket races....the National event will still be on the existing track, he is not going to change it after spending all the money on the new bleachers etc. Also, I do think that some of the new complaining is not about the dragstrip but the go cart track PRP where they run alot of drifting which is kinda loud. and the houses were here before the carts. Thanks for letting me vent.

I wrote a story about the go kart track but it was right before it opened in 2009 and I don't remember much about what runs on it but I vaguely recall drifting being mentioned. Also, I was pregnant, so um, I don't remember much about that summer. I haven't ever been there when the drifting has been running on the track but I will take your word Rhonda that it's loud.
And Jason has admitted (to neighbors and the county) that he hasn't observed all the rules and quiet days he's supposed to... I definitely think some of the neighbors have some legit complaints based on what the director of DDES told me.
Hope it all gets worked out.

Is it just me or does it make no sense to build a new drag strip but not run Nationals on it? I had gotten the impression in 2006 that it would be for that National events. I could see using it for bracket racing initially. I never did get an answer from the NHRA about what needs to be done to get it sanctioned for national event use... I wonder how hard it would be to move the bleachers? And they didn't replace all the bleachers, just the reserved side. I just always have more questions than answers with this track.

I wonder how hard it would be to move the bleachers? And they didn't replace all the bleachers, just the reserved side. I just always have more questions than answers with this track.

Yea, Pit side still has the crappy wooden bleachers that people fall thru every year!!!

Here's a new question for ya Kris:
Why is NHRA handling ticket renewals this year instead of the track?
Is it maybe because the track can't even do that correctly?
Somehow, last year my tix were "mis-placed" & I had to "will-call" them week of event!!!
Or maybe they had "issues" with getting NHRA their portion in a timely manner!!!

If I'd only won that record Mega Millions Lottery!!!

Speaking of Pacific Raceways, I saw this little blurb over at DRO

Northwest track veteran Jason (JJ) Murray has been named Drag Strip Manager at Pacific Raceways. Murray has worked NHRA events since 2005, including national events, Division 6 and Division 7 races, and has been a longtime employee of the Strip at Las Vegas. The 25-year-old has worked in drag racing for 13 years.

“I’m excited for this upcoming season and being able to meet all of the racers and fans,” said Murray, who has been the NHRA Division 6 reporter for dragracecentral.com since 2006. Murray was part of a team of track professionals that worked at the NitrOlympx in Hockenheim, Germany, the past two years. He also worked for the Bahrain International Circuit in the Kingdom of Bahrain.

Closer to home, Murray has worked events at many of the northwest tracks including Woodburn Dragstrip, Mission Raceway Park, Firebird Raceway, Spokane County Raceway and Champion Raceway. Pacific Raceways also has a new website up at Pacific Raceways -- Where the Excitement is Accelerating!

What I still don't understand is why they're going to build a new shorter dragstrip for sportsman racers instead of putting some decent money into the existing dragstrip. The entire track needs to be ripped up and have a new surface put down or at least repave and grind the current track as it is now.

New year; new track manager!!! I thought we just got a new manager last year?!?!?!
Good luck JJ!!!

At least we now have a schedule up!!!

Mike your last paragraph says it all:
"What I still don't understand is why they're going to build a new shorter dragstrip for sportsman racers instead of putting some decent money into the existing dragstrip. The entire track needs to be ripped up and have a new surface put down or at least repave and grind the current track as it is now."
:confused: :confused: :confused:

JJ is a good guy, and has already made things better. Our Super Comp association has been trying to get back to Pacific for years, and have been shut out time and again. Other managers just couldn't seem to take much interest. Days after JJ took over, we had a race scheduled for this year.

As to the construction (or lack thereof), directions, cart track, which track will be what, what is actually planned, what is a dream, etc., etc. I think you need a Ouija board to figure that stuff out. :confused:

As to the construction (or lack thereof), directions, cart track, which track will be what, what is actually planned, what is a dream, etc., etc. I think you need a Ouija board to figure that stuff out. :confused:
BWAHAHAHA!!!

That's great news Chris!!! :)
Maybe JJ can actually make a difference here! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back