Construction has started on the north-south drag strip at Pacific Raceways? (1 Viewer)

Kris

Nitro Member
So, my colleague at the Auburn Reporter wrote a story (I didn't know about this meeting, it happens...) about a presentation by Jason Fiorito representing Pacific Raceways for a request for an amendment to the existing zoning ordinance for the property for a special district overlay. This is part of the long term master plan Jason proposed in 2006 (which I had written about).

Here's the link to the story:
Pacific Raceways president and opponents clash over expansion of track - Covington Reporter

After reading the story, I decided to find whatever related information I could on the King County website (it's in unincorporated King County just a few minutes from Covington, which I cover, and about 15 minutes east of Kent) and found this video:
Environment and Transportation Committee - Dec 14, 2010

There are also supporting documents here:
King County Council Calendar

In the video Jason mentions that construction has begun on a relocated drag strip. I've got an e-mail into him and I'll be contacting folks with King County to get more information to follow up on the story linked above.

Just thought I'd post this up since folks have been asking me about it. I'll let you guys know once I get more information.

Well, Hallelujah. Glad to see Jason recovering from the management issues last year, and taking the bull by the horns. Would be great to get the track upgraded there.

Well, Hallelujah. Glad to see Jason recovering from the management issues last year, and taking the bull by the horns. Would be great to get the track upgraded there.

I just got confirmation from King County that the permit for construction on the drag strip was issued earlier in December and that work to prep the site has begun at Pacific Raceways. I'm not sure how long it takes to build a drag strip but I think Jason told me back in 2006 how long it was projected to take... well, I don't have it in my story.
I'm sure someone here with a better grasp on this stuff than me will fill in the blanks there.
Otherwise, there are no other applications for permits in on the master plan. Hopefully I can find out what the timeline is on that.

Bruton built ZMax in about 5 months IIRC. But that was with way less site work, a lot of clout, and a lot more money. :)

I would love to see this happen, not only to improve the strip, the stands, and the facility in general, but because our racing association simply can't get a race date there. With the road course and the drag strip sharing the same track and pits, there just aren't enough weekends in the year. And with the road course people running rain or shine, the drag racers lose every time we try to get a weekend booked.

Bruton built ZMax in about 5 months IIRC. But that was with way less site work, a lot of clout, and a lot more money. :)

I would love to see this happen, not only to improve the strip, the stands, and the facility in general, but because our racing association simply can't get a race date there. With the road course and the drag strip sharing the same track and pits, there just aren't enough weekends in the year. And with the road course people running rain or shine, the drag racers lose every time we try to get a weekend booked.

What about the complaint's by the neighbors? Any thoughts on that?

What about the complaint's by the neighbors? Any thoughts on that?

Sure, but most can't be repeated in polite company :) The track's been there since the 60's but people who build next door 30 years later suddenly are aghast, shocked, outraged, that there's occasional noise! My heavens! Reminds me of people who move into the flight path of a major airport then complain of the noise. Sheesh.

But, from what I know of the plan there are to be major noise barrier berms, the main strip runs parallel to the freeway and not the neighborhood, and the movement of the pits to the other side of the property -- all of which should all help a lot. Maybe it will be enough...

This track being built will not be used for National or Divisional events. Those races stay on the old track.

sounds like this track is going to be used mainly for brackets so the road race track can be used exclusively for road racing and an occasional major drag racing event. Probably for the reasons posted above. Just the fact King County would issue a permit for a dragstrip is cause for celebration. Times are a changing for the better it sounds like.

Don't know who said it on the mater months and months ago but they were saying NHRA said the new strip was to short. With all the accidents lately this could be true. Anyone else see that post?

All I have ever been told is that the north-south strip is intended for use for the NHRA national event as well as all the other drag racing done on the existing track. My understanding is the east-west strip will remain in use until the new track is completed.
I do plan to contact the NHRA while I'm waiting for Jason Fiorito to call or e-mail me. :) I will confirm either way.

So which is it? As much berating that's gone on about that track by NHRA drivers and yes I had one hell of a bad spill there it would make sense that this new track will be used for all events but Jeff Foster is in the know when it comes to Seattle so we'll see.

Last edited:
I think you will see the progress at the track regulated by how fast they sell the material from the location. The hole where the go kart track is went to the third runway project at SeaTac Airport. The project at I405/I5 Southcenter might be the destination of the material that's been leaving there recently. I would guess they are trading off the material for the grading needs of a new racetrack, or at least using the sales as funding. So I'd expect slow progress unless the economy picks up significantly around the PNW. The bicycle racers and driver schools are not enough to pick up the tab for a new track. Now if the Muckelshoot Tribe bought it and the Governor signed it back as Trust Land....

Yeah, it was hilarious to listen to Mr. Fiorito being interviewed on local radio during the height of the NASCAR track hype. He carefully worded his spiel to portray his track-building efforts as “privately funded” (while the NASCAR thing was ridiculously pursuing tax money…), when what he was really seeking was a permit to mine gravel.

Just the same, though, any improvement is great, and the place is a different world from what it was ten years ago.

Perhaps this is what Jeff Foster was referring to:

Registered member said:
When Fiorito talks about a relocation of the drag strip, he is actually referencing the construction of a new 4000' strip which could eventually replace the current strip in use. At this time, the new strip would only host local and divisional events. The reason is simple – the three million worth of improvements to the current strip can't be moved to a new strip very easily.

From this article on CompPlus posted in July 2009:
SEATTLE REFURBISHMENT YEARS AWAY

That makes sense to me. I'm still waiting to hear from Jason. I am assuming that he is taking some time off now... I will hear back from the NHRA on Monday, I hope.

The conceptual mockup shown in that article differs substantially from the one currently on Pacific Raceways’ website ( Pacific Raceways - Where The Excitement Is Accelerating.....For The Entire Family! ). The master plan on PR’s website shows a dragstrip that is noticeably shorter than the existing one. Runoff would put one down the hill, into the Green River. Given the controversy surrounding the length of the existing shutdown, this might account for the aversion to running the “big” events there.

The conceptual mockup shown in that article differs substantially from the one currently on Pacific Raceways’ website ( Pacific Raceways - Where The Excitement Is Accelerating.....For The Entire Family! ). The master plan on PR’s website shows a dragstrip that is noticeably shorter than the existing one. Runoff would put one down the hill, into the Green River. Given the controversy surrounding the length of the existing shutdown, this might account for the aversion to running the “big” events there.

Something to remember about the conceptual design on the PR website is that's the one from 2006...

I really hate how difficult it is to get a hold of people at the track since Charlie Kester left the marketing/media relations position. Sigh. I'm sure a 20 minute conversation would completely clear this up.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back