What am I going to write about this year? (1 Viewer)

Kris

Nitro Member
With about a month until the NHRA rolls into my neighborhood I'm just now getting around to pondering what I want to write about to preview the race this year.

In years past I've interviewed Ron Capps, Melanie Troxel, Cruz and Tony Pedregon, Jeg Coughlin and his team chef, Nicky Morse.

I always like to hear your ideas and kind of chew them over with race fans who have been around the sport longer than I have since y'all have a different perspective.

Or if you're a PR person from a team lurking on the boards, feel free to shoot me a PM, I write for the Covington/Maple Valley Reporter (twice weekly owned by Sound Publishing) and my NHRA piece will go in my paper as well as Kent, Renton and Auburn for sure (so that's about 100,000 readers total).

I'm wide open to ideas. :)

Thanks in advance.

BTW Kris, you could definitely include something about the success that the women racers have enjoyed this year, Ashley leading the points here and there, Melanie being the first to win in both classes, Hillary's first win. Something on the independent Tim Wilkerson, and maybe the rookie performances of Zippy and Tasca III. Just my .02!:)

1. Probably the biggest story other media wise is ofcourse the Year of the Woman covering Ash, Hill, and Mel.

2. John Force coming back from his injury, winning his 1000th round, winning another race again finally, and his daughter actually leading the points some.

Those are probably the 2 biggest POSITIVE storys you would want to write about.

Yes I like the women in racing situation and the Wilkerson story.

John Force stories are old and most of my friends who are fans say they are sick of hearing about him and his team.

Maybe a plug about Mike Ahley/Troxel and their 'theme' cars honoring our veterans..

Vandergriff and UPS..

Densham and his low-buck operation----and his opinion about TORCO

And if you are brave you could bring up that TORCO issue w/ an NHRA rep..

Just a few-

GREAT! Now I have the image in my head of PJ in his pink tutu, getting spanked.:eek:...Geesh...that is wrong in so many ways, I wouldn't know where to start!!:eek:

Seriously Kris,
Gary Densham and his History at SIR, Being in the top ten in points, on a race to race budget, and the changes in Racing in the last 40ish years....

oooo, Angel is nibbling on my ear, what I get for telling her Suzie Q was going to spank PJ jr....

d'kid
only a semi lo-jac

I agree that the story of the year is the great performances by Ashley, Melanie, and Hillary, especially given all the hype that Danica got for winning a race that only half of the top notch drivers attended. Seriously Kris, all it takes is a parent reading your story and showing it to their daughter, who in turn might want to go to the race and see and possibly meet three great examples of female role models instead of the usual hollywood celebrities who get press for all the wrong reasons.

When you write your story, be sure to post a link for us.

All great ideas so far, even PJ's, heh. ;)

Boy, I do like the Year of the Woman idea, it would allow me to present the idea that the sport is not only diverse but draws a diverse crowd which is something I think separates it from other motor sports. :)

I also love the idea of doing something with independent teams. I could potentially do something with Wilk and Densham.

Hmm. Maybe a Q&A with a female driver as a sidebar and a main story on the independent teams?

If I get started tracking down the PR folks next week I could probably get all that together in plenty of time. And I know I have a photo of Hillary Will floating around that I took in Vegas a couple years ago. :p

Thoughts?

Kris, I agree with doing something on Densham. He`s probably made as many passes down that track as Force has. I`ll bet he`s got some great stories from the old 64 Funny Car shows they used to run up there.
Maybe a piece on Dave Connolly. How he missed the early part of the season looking for sponsorship $$ and now he`s making his push to get into the Countdown.
My choice however, would be to go to Tacoma, track down the Austins and see how they feel about the state of things in todays NHRA. ;) Bet they ain`t real happy!
The success of Ashley, Melanie and Hillary has been well documented in the media all year (and deservedly so)...but do something different!

We always look forward to the Seattle race, hope to see you there...or at Saltys!

Last edited:
Be different, SPORTSMAN!:):p;)

Echo, echo, echo.....
I was hoping that Dan Fletcher would be back again this year but he's not on the entry lists, YET!!! He'd make a great story!!!

Here are a few of my local faves:
The Parkers, the Lang brothers, Tom Bayer & Steve & Patty, Duane Shields, the Waldos, the Fauls, ect.

Also, maybe you can really dig & find out the real scoop on Spokane Raceway Park and who's going to operate it.

I also second the posting a link idea for us, please!

Wayne :)

Why Drag Racing, and Hot Rods in general are so addictive to people? All walks of life, in general, different cultures, races, upbringings, it's a common bond, are all drawn together by the love of modified automobiles! Even the ricer kids that are generationas apart, they get it too:D

Also, maybe you can really dig & find out the real scoop on Spokane Raceway Park and who's going to operate it.

Read in the Spokane paper on Tuesday that the committee of 5 folks who were to decide it were selected. They are three gov't/parks/recreation people, and two "people from the racing community" -- a motorcycle racer and a businessman who also has done some racing (not drag racing). They were entertaining the four bids, two local, one from the Pacific Raceways folks, and Bucky Austin and co. They were to meet yesterday and go over the presentations from the four candidates, and present a recommendation to the council who are to vote on it next Tuesday.

Read in the Spokane paper on Tuesday that the committee of 5 folks who were to decide it were selected. They are three gov't/parks/recreation people, and two "people from the racing community" -- a motorcycle racer and a businessman who also has done some racing (not drag racing). They were entertaining the four bids, two local, one from the Pacific Raceways folks, and Bucky Austin and co. They were to meet yesterday and go over the presentations from the four candidates, and present a recommendation to the council who are to vote on it next Tuesday.

Thanks for the update. Maybe there will actually be some racing on that track this year! :eek:

Kris, here's another idea: what is the status of the PR track improvements, time frames, ect.
:)

I wrote about sportsman racers to the best of my ability last year and it was no easy task.

And by local it has to be folks living within the communities we cover: Kent, Renton, Auburn, Covington, Maple Valley, Sumner, Lake Tapps, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Bothell or Kenmore ... maybe Federal Way.

My first story back in 2004 was focused on what brings people to the drags, who it appeals to, what it's like to go for the first time.

I won't do anything about Spokane Raceway. Sorry. I'll leave that to my friends at the Spokesman-Review on the other side of the state.

I have written about the upgrades and renovations at Pacific Raceways (did that in 2006) and want to do an update but I don't have direct access to Jason Fiorito. There's been some changes in personnel at the track. I had an appointment to meet with their new community relations staffer but she wasn't available when I got there and I had to bail to go write about some breaking news story. I need to bug her again because this is a good story that can be done anytime.

Connolly would make a good story ... I know how to get in touch with him, I think ... or I think at least I know someone who can connect me with him.

I have enough room to be sure to do a main story on any of the drivers or topics we've mentioned as well as a side bar that maybe tackles a different topic -- like doing a Q&A with Hillary Will.

OK. More thoughts? :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back