Throttle Whack Gone? (1 Viewer)

I was in the fuel pits in Brainerd yesterday, and didn't hear one Fuel team give the traditional "throttle whack" during their warm up procedures. Has this practice (always a great way to shock a newcomer to the sport) gone the way of the long burn out? If so, when and why has it gone away?

Somebody was whackin the throttle (two short blips), I heard it from the stands.

Joe;

Come to Saturday nite Nitro on 9/7 at Famosa. You can walk right up to the cars in the pits and they will put you to work. You do know how to do cylinder heads don't you?

Jay, two Good Throttle hits of Today's Fuel cars and Nostalgia cars are two different things.

nick, didn't hear or see any wacks over sat/sun but could be wrong.
warmups also seem to be getting shorter.

nick, didn't hear or see any wacks over sat/sun but could be wrong.
warmups also seem to be getting shorter.

It was Saturday prior to Q3. Didn't hear it again the whole weekend. And it was two short quick blips as opposed to the full throttle and distinct blips of the Kalittas. You are right, though, overall they are very short, and as you know you could easily go through a weekend and not hear one at all. I remember hearing them blip the throttle all weekend long years back, for sure not the case anymore.

It was Saturday prior to Q3. Didn't hear it again the whole weekend. And it was two short quick blips as opposed to the full throttle and distinct blips of the Kalittas. You are right, though, overall they are very short, and as you know you could easily go through a weekend and not hear one at all. I remember hearing them blip the throttle all weekend long years back, for sure not the case anymore.

Sounds like Paul Smith's routine (Blake Alexander).

Hehe,

This is Anita Mäkilä whacking the throttle of her TF dragster at the Hockenheim European Championship round ten days ago. It should start at the 1:20 mark, if not fast forward there.

I found the crowd reaction "quite different" than at other places I've been to. Amusing in a way.

Excellent audio. Normally the whack just overwhelms the sound and it comes out all distorted. This one was really clear. I think the fans reacted about like anyone else, at the first whack....like they'd been poked with a cattle prod. Whack 2 didn't seem to surprise them quite as much.

I was only there Sunday for the eliminations. Blake was the only qualified car that blipped it.

Saturday, I heard no whacks and hardly notice the cars warming up (I sat on the pit side). Pretty soon they won't have to warm them up in the pits at all !
Hell the crew push the cars up to the line and waterbox, the burnouts are pretty short.
I'm waiting for someone to come up with Flameless Nitro at night.

Excellent audio. Normally the whack just overwhelms the sound and it comes out all distorted. This one was really clear. I think the fans reacted about like anyone else, at the first whack....like they'd been poked with a cattle prod. Whack 2 didn't seem to surprise them quite as much.
Hehe, yes, but they also walked away. The Whacks usually packs'em in.

Regards
PiPPi

That would be difficult as Blaine didn't qualify...:rolleyes:

Yes, Blake DID qualify. I was in the stands when he got beat in the first round. Go back and see the ladder for that race. :) One other thing, I'm talking about NORWALK!! That's where I saw Blake.

Last edited:
While the nitro teams do not whomp anymore, I find that the alcohol cars are much more entertaining to watch. I certainly get my fix as they build up their rpm's several times and for a sustained period of time.

What I do miss are the pro stock warm ups. The sweet smell of their racing fuel combined with the deep thump of the motor, going through the gears and topped off with a staging simulation. Some of the teams still do this, but it's performed inconsistently.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back