Revving/Burping the Nitro Cars (1 Viewer)

I haven't been to a race since they went to 1000'. I know it's for safety reasons but it's just not the same anymore.

I haven't been to a race since they went to 1000'. I know it's for safety reasons but it's just not the same anymore.
I still watch but would rather watch Pro Stock and Sportsman because they still run 1/4 mile. It's too bad that a lot of the tracks just don't have enough shut down where they can run 1/4 mile for fuel cars, so I understand the reason for going to 1000', safety comes first.

I heard one fuel car whack the throttle during a warm up at the Winternationals. Unfortunately, I was 2 rows away at the time and did not see who it was. It sounded great even 2 rows away.

You know, I am (was) in the same mind set. I`m not going to nearly as many races since they went to 1,000 ft, but this past weekend in Pomona was great. I`m definitely going back down for the Finals and I`ll most likely do Seattle too. I miss 1,320, but it ain`t coming back. Nitro is still nitro and they were hauling a$$ this weekend. Some incredible performances!

Throttle whacks, dry hops and Dean Skuza are a thing if the past. Can you say "back in the day" they used to ......! Get over it just like us old geezers had to get over 64 car brackets and 3 guys building and campaigning a successful fuel car. Not even the nostalgia cars offer what we enjoyed "back in the day". Way to many rules and regulations along with fat check books for those days to ever come back.

A reason for not whacking the throttle is for a more consistent car in terms of the clutch. In today's competitive world, I don't blame teams for not whacking the throttle. I'm OK with this.

I'm not.....

...But I understand why they don't. I remember Eddie Hill stopping the practice back before he retired - not because of the clutch, but because he claimed it was hard on the blower and valve springs. But apparently the Swedes aren't paying attention. Some good whackin' right here....best warmup video on the net....watch the crowd jump at 1:25.:)

Not going to the races because fuel cars click it at 1000 ft is crazy, IMO. Have you watched from 1000 feet and seen how fast these monsters cover the last 320? Even after clicking it, it's amazing. Still an unreal spectacle. And, there is still so much else to enjoy. Again, JMO, but I feel like anybody staying away for that reason is really missing out. With the growing Nostalgia scene, there's a place to see fuel cars run 1320ft, although much slower. There have been so many threads regarding this, bottom line is, NOTHING stays the same, and as we get older, it's natural to remember how things used to be. But if you're a gearhead, there's a lot to enjoy out there, right now.

I'm not.....

...But I understand why they don't. I remember Eddie Hill stopping the practice back before he retired - not because of the clutch, but because he claimed it was hard on the blower and valve springs. But apparently the Swedes aren't paying attention. Some good whackin' right here....best warmup video on the net....watch the crowd jump at 1:25.:)

I'm not.....

Jon Asher was right, it's not about the show anymore! It's about winning...

Question, years ago Jim Head experimented with not doing a burnout. If his tests had been successful would the performance is the only thing that matters crowd been ok with that? At some point the show does matter if you want Joe Average who is not a diehard to spend his dollars. I'm pretty hardcore, if there's nitro I'll be there. Just afraid I'll be alone.

Question, years ago Jim Head experimented with not doing a burnout. If his tests had been successful would the performance is the only thing that matters crowd been ok with that? At some point the show does matter if you want Joe Average who is not a diehard to spend his dollars. I'm pretty hardcore, if there's nitro I'll be there. Just afraid I'll be alone.

There was a time when no burnouts was the norm. All out racing is how this sport started. The show came later.

There was a time when no burnouts was the norm. All out racing is how this sport started. The show came later.
Back then the Fuel cars would smoke the tires most of the run. Question is if all the show is drained out will the top level of the sport survive. Personally I think the 70's were the pinnacle. Nostalgia racing has limited interest from Joe Average. I like it but most 20 something's could give a crap about aero 1970 Mustangs and Camaro's running about as quick as modern Pro Mods. It will all shake out in the end for better or worse.

Yep, in an interview of him that I read he said that if he thought NHRA would let him get away with it, (He knew they wouldn't) he'd just drive right around the water box and head straight for the line. He also acknowledged it would be hugely unpopular with the fans, so he's never pushed the idea too hard.

In the instances I remember where, due to difficulty starting up, a team has been forced to skip the burnout, (once, with Cruz Pedregon comes to mind.) it really hasn't made all that much difference.

Well, if not blipping the throttle supposedly make the clutch more consistent, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm seeing as much tire smoke as I ever have.

Just because you see a car smoke the tires, it's not necessarily because the clutch was inconsistent. The clutch technology is as good as it's ever been, so much so that it doesn't require the actions you speak of to be able to work properly.

Yep, in an interview of him that I read he said that if he thought NHRA would let him get away with it, (He knew they wouldn't) he'd just drive right around the water box and head straight for the line. He also acknowledged it would be hugely unpopular with the fans, so he's never pushed the idea too hard.

In the instances I remember where, due to difficulty starting up, a team has been forced to skip the burnout, (once, with Cruz Pedregon comes to mind.) it really hasn't made all that much difference.

We ran 3.90 at the US Nationals without a burnout.

I miss the throttle blips like crazy. I grew up on it (31 now) ,still would bring my gas mask and stand front row if teams did it. It's a surreal experience.

Len Damell's T/F Bike WACKED the throttle a couple times during the warm-up for the final at Pomona.
If you haven't checked out these guys, you should! This team is cool, fast, and badass.

If NHRA is to survive the racers should realize what a vital part of the experience this is. IMO throttle warm ups in the pits used to be just as much fun as the actual on track racing. I remember people high fiving and getting pretty excited running around the pits getting their nitro fix. Now everyone just kind walks around and half-heartedly applauds the warm ups. Considering nobody does this any team that would on a regular basis would gain an instant following. The last two events I attended Chrisman was the only car to do it. I understand its more detrimental than beneficial these days to a cars performance but its also part of the reason so many lifelong nitro fans love this sport. It is a great loss to the overall show.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back