Throttle-rapping during nitro warmup (1 Viewer)

robinjackson

Nitro Member
I've just watched Les Mayhew's excellent video of a DougK warmup at the Winternationals:
YouTube - 2011 NHRA Winternationals Doug Kalitta Warm Up

Not a sign or hint of a throttle rap. Say it ain't so. If the Kalittas have now given up, the practice surely is doomed.

I'm well aware that it has no practical purpose in the eyes of so many crew chiefs, but it's my opinion that NHRA (Marketing Dept. perhaps?) should impose a contractual obligation on every nitro team to rap the throttle during warmup.

Who still does it? The Force guys? Donnie Bender at Bernstein's? Any others?

I've just watched Les Mayhew's excellent video of a DougK warmup at the Winternationals:
YouTube - 2011 NHRA Winternationals Doug Kalitta Warm Up

Not a sign or hint of a throttle rap. Say it ain't so. If the Kalittas have now given up, the practice surely is doomed.

I'm well aware that it has no practical purpose in the eyes of so many crew chiefs, but it's my opinion that NHRA (Marketing Dept. perhaps?) should impose a contractual obligation on every nitro team to rap the throttle during warmup.

Who still does it? The Force guys? Donnie Bender at Bernstein's? Any others?

It may be my imagination, but it seemed there was less use of nitro and "whacking the throttle". And I enjoy both!!!

Team Kalitta is always one of my first stops. They bless the Nitro Gods like no one else. I have read a few times over the past couple years that due to economical issues, it is more cost effective to warm the car up on Alcohol. I agree 100% that if team Connie stops hittin it during the warm up we are all screwed!

The only team that I personally saw blip the loud pedal at G'ville was the LaGana camp. I think they winged it 2 or 3 times.

Mitch

Nitrotainment, take II....

Enjoy the changeover at 1:05. :)

YouTube - David Grubnic Top Fuel Warmup

Nitrotainment, take III. 3 nice whacks....:)

Very high quality audio. If you've got a good PC sound system, crank 'er up.

YouTube - Spencer Massey Snake Racing Warmup

As for teams cutting back, there's probably several reasons. It's a bit rough on the valve train, nitro costs a lot of money and the first time NHRA gets their socks sued off because some child becomes sickened by nitro fumes or suffers hearing damage, they'll stop it altogether.

I must say I love it myself, but maybe it is more cost effective (not by much i would think) to not whap it. Alot of crew chiefs just seem to warm it up and set the clutch by just letting it idle and i guess with the break held

There's a video somewhere on you tube of Bobby Jr. whacking it 4x before Dom's final rd. at Vegas2 last year:D...Gotta be hard on the rods....

what's the point of entering the pro pits if they don't?....damn near
worth the price of admission....it's entertainment remember?

Yeah, and if and when the Kalitta cars do it.... the best part is after they shut it down, waiting for the loud, interesting language coming from the car owner directed at the Crew Chiefs LOL :D

Who doesn't love it? It's a great part of the fan experience, that's for sure

Would be very sad to see this tradition go. I love initiating the Nitro virgins. Hell, even when I know it's coming it still makes me jump!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back