Throttle-rapping during nitro warmup (1 Viewer)

yet another gas-mask wearing knucklehead who feels he must turn
around and pump fist to crowd to display his (misinformed) machismo.

Exactly Mike. If he was a real diehard he would soak it up without the aid of a gas-mask!! I don't get those people. I guess some can't really handle nitro, yet think they're 'hardcore' by having one. *shakes head*

Last year at BIR was the first time I was not able to feel a nitro whack up close. Stood at the Kalitta's for both Doug and David, neither did their (formerly guaranteed to be the best throttle whack in the pits) whack.

I didn't spend anymore time in the pits that weekend. Others who do a "whack" aren't as good as the Kalittas used to be. Either their car is turned around the other way, or they don't open it as far. Kalitta's opened it all the way - enough to get a header flame - and have the engine right in your face...

See my BIR 2007 - I slowed it down around :55

YouTube - NHRA Top Fuel Warmup 2007

Should have been near Bernstiens car then. Donnie Bender and co let it open right up, even more than what the Kalitta's did. Mind you Grubnic held it open a lot more than Doug when it came to Kalitta warm ups. It is becoming the norm over here in Australia now with the whacking. Sucks, should be mandatory!!

Exactly Mike. If he was a real diehard he would soak it up without the aid of a gas-mask!! I don't get those people. I guess some can't really handle nitro, yet think they're 'hardcore' by having one. *shakes head*

This is just an ignorant post.

I wear a gasmask during certain warmups when they're is no wind and it just lingers in it's yellow cloud. I don't think i'm macho by doing this,nor do i pump my fist. I just like being able to stand as close as possible when they whap the throttle and being able to breath by doing so. I always laugh at the knuckleheads standing they're thinking they're king dick with no gasmask,knowing all the well they're suffering big time. *SHAKES HEAD*

To be out front MV, I do wear a full face and ear protectors... but the mask leaks a little around the edges;) here's something to think about, don't need the mask around a A/FD, but a AA/BAD, a TA/FC, or a Pro Mod will lay me out... It's not the POP, it's the Alky....

d'kid

I remember Jim Head, as much as I love the guy, was one of the first to drop the whacks. He's also on record as being in favor of dropping the burnouts, calling them completely unneccessary. He's know's he'd be pretty unpopular if his opionion held sway. The quote goes something like "I'd drive right around the water and head right for the line if I thought NHRA would let me get away with it."

Dry hops, throttle whacks, and burnouts all are becoming victims of both modern tuning and clutch setups, and economics.:(

Another tradition I love, and is becoming more and more rare is the throttle whack the alky drivers do before they light the final stage bulb. The nitro diggers don't need it, and it looks like T-Bone's new starting system may make it obsolete in THAT class as well. From what I've read, his new system has thrown more than a few competitors off, even though he's let them know about what he does now. Old habits are hard to break.

it looks like T-Bone's new starting system may make it obsolete in THAT class as well.

T-Bone better enjoy it while he can, because starting this Wednesday he'll either have to pull it off his car or switch to a converter setup. No more 2steppin' if you're running a clutch and a blower in the Top Alcohol classes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back