Throttle Whack Gone? (1 Viewer)

Riley7

Nitro Member
I was in the fuel pits in Brainerd yesterday, and didn't hear one Fuel team give the traditional "throttle whack" during their warm up procedures. Has this practice (always a great way to shock a newcomer to the sport) gone the way of the long burn out? If so, when and why has it gone away?

I was in the fuel pits in Brainerd yesterday, and didn't hear one Fuel team give the traditional "throttle whack" during their warm up procedures. Has this practice (always a great way to shock a newcomer to the sport) gone the way of the long burn out? If so, when and why has it gone away?

Since I've been here, there's been several threads discussing this very thing. The latest being here http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/33282-dick-lahaie-warmups.html

I'm sure there's people here far more qualified to speak on this, and I would welcome any corrections.

My understanding is that the biggest difference is that once upon a time, seating the clutch pack (discs and floaters) was the real reason behind the stabbing the throttle quickly in the pits. Being a centrifugal clutch, the arms aren't engaged to squeeze these parts together unless it's spun quickly enough. The throttle whack would spin the clutch pack enough to engage these arms, and through this "squeezing", in a way, "machine" the actual parts inside that have minute variances in surface height, as well as seating all of moveable parts involved during assembly (think about the "play" in any assembled part). This is done to maximize the performance of these frictional parts by making them more parallel to each other, basically, flattening them, so when they leave the line, the whole surface area is in contact immediately.

They now do this outside of the bell housing with specialized tooling that allows them to be more precise when preparing the clutch.

So, no "whack". No need, and no reason to further stress parts in the rest of the engine that already see forces off the charts.

Anyway, that's my understanding.

Here's a good article to start, but there's a lot of info out there on clutch systems. A/Fuel Tech Part 4: The Nitro Dragster Clutch | BangShift.comBangShift.com

Last edited:

When Scott Palmer was in Houston he whacked the throttle during the warm up.

I worked on the Winston TF car. We never did the throttle whack, we knew it was doing more damage than good to the clutch.

Since I've been here, there's been several threads discussing this very thing. The latest being here http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/33282-dick-lahaie-warmups.html

I'm sure there's people here far more qualified to speak on this, and I would welcome any corrections.

My understanding is that the biggest difference is that once upon a time, seating the clutch pack (discs and floaters) was the real reason behind the stabbing the throttle quickly in the pits. Being a centrifugal clutch, the arms aren't engaged to squeeze these parts together unless it's spun quickly enough. The throttle whack would spin the clutch pack enough to engage these arms, and through this "squeezing", in a way, "machine" the actual parts inside that have minute variances in surface height, as well as seating all of moveable parts involved during assembly (think about the "play" in any assembled part). This is done to maximize the performance of these frictional parts by making them more parallel to each other, basically, flattening them, so when they leave the line, the whole surface area is in contact immediately.

They now do this outside of the bell housing with specialized tooling that allows them to be more precise when preparing the clutch.

So, no "whack". No need, and no reason to further stress parts in the rest of the engine that already see forces off the charts.

Anyway, that's my understanding.

Here's a good article to start, but there's a lot of info out there on clutch systems. A/Fuel Tech Part 4: The Nitro Dragster Clutch | BangShift.comBangShift.com

It is no longer needed for the clutch and it is very hard on parts. Consider the blower. Blowers cost a gazillion $$ these days and they are tight - at least for a while. Then you strip them every run to get all the cylinder pressure you can. ANY running of a fresh blower make it less efficient. Other parts are pretty much the same. Everything needs to be fresh.

It is no longer needed for the clutch and it is very hard on parts. Consider the blower. Blowers cost a gazillion $$ these days and they are tight - at least for a while. Then you strip them every run to get all the cylinder pressure you can. ANY running of a fresh blower make it less efficient. Other parts are pretty much the same. Everything needs to be fresh.

The NHRA pit experience is dying more and more every year!

Joe;

Come to Saturday nite Nitro on 9/7 at Famosa. You can walk right up to the cars in the pits and they will put you to work. You do know how to do cylinder heads don't you?

This is related to the "is racing killing drag racing" theory. To sum this whole deal up, since drag racing started 5-6 decades ago, it has been a constant search for efficiency. To find THE most efficient, and therefore quickest and fastest way to get from A to B. The show was a byproduct. The experimenation that gave drag racing an endless run of wild and unique machines, over time reaches the best solutions, and gradually everyone gravitates toward the ultimate, and also similar, designs. As many have stated, part of this process is eliminating unecessary steps and procedures, like long burnouts, dry hops, and throttle whacks. I miss all those things too, and I'm not sure how you get them back. What's kind of funny, is that it almost seems everyone who misses those things is sort of mad at "the big show" racers for changing, when in reality it's just part of the evolution involved in going quicker and faster. I was thinking recently, I remember being a young kid and seeing the Courage of Australia run around 300mph in the early '70s. I thought, that was AMAZING, but I also thought, even then, that I liked the drama, vibrations , thunder and fire from the fuel cars much better. The rocket was a 300mph WOOSH, that was over in 5 seconds. Impressive back then, but I wouldn't want to see dozens of runs like I would a fuel car. Maybe that's where we are now with the big show.

Was at Norwalk earlier this year. Only one nitro car whacked the throttle, which was Blake Alexander. Other than that, visits to the pits are mundane these days. :( The Force and Kalitta cars don't even whack it anymore and they used to be famous for that. This year it was more interesting staying in our seats and watching sportman's classes.

I bought a gas mask around 2000 just so i could withstand the fumes to be close in the pits for the 'whack'. As it truely is an outta mind experience.Ive gotten my monies worth out of it. But alas,it seems time to hang it up.:(

Edit* the force floppers whacked the throttle in gville this season,as did a few of the lower budget teams. That was it,maybe 4 cars.

Everything needs to be fresh.

Can't argue with that. Fresh, sterile, with all the personality and charm of a stump. Before long, they'll be running their 'bold and fresh' 3.70/330 passes all by themselves - because nobody will care whether or not their blowers need restripping. They'll be off somewhere else. And while I can't do nostalgia cylinder heads, I'll bet I can figure out how to walk up to a running car and give it a good whack.

Old timer here, and seriously, I understand why all the showoff stuff is detrimental to ultimate performance. But there's the question - is ultimate performance enough to keep professional drag racing alive?

Sadly enough, I don't believe it will. Personally, I enjoyed nitro racing 25 years ago when it was slower than today's alcohol cars. A car doesn't have to run 330 to be exciting.

Maybe we should still push them down the track (mag grounded so they build up oil pressure) + pop start them on the return road. That was always cool to watch.

Was at Norwalk earlier this year. Only one nitro car whacked the throttle, which was Blake Alexander. Other than that, visits to the pits are mundane these days. :( The Force and Kalitta cars don't even whack it anymore and they used to be famous for that. This year it was more interesting staying in our seats and watching sportman's classes.

That's just what I did at Norwalk this year, Sat in the stands and watched the sportsman classes. No more fun watching them in the pits anymore
(The Pro Mod cars were cool in the pits)

Last edited:
Hehe,

This is Anita Mäkilä whacking the throttle of her TF dragster at the Hockenheim European Championship round ten days ago. It should start at the 1:20 mark, if not fast forward there.

I found the crowd reaction "quite different" than at other places I've been to. Amusing in a way.

Top Fuel Throttle Spectators Reaction - YouTube

Regards
PiPPi

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back