Strasburg suspended from nhra competition (1 Viewer)

Show me a person who can ingest that much liquid and not P until 9am the next day, and I'll show you a person so dehydrated they should be in the hospital....:eek:

I still think they should have split what Strasburg gave them into two vials, and tested it. I don't know exactly how many ounces, or CC, is required by NHRA but it doesn't take massive amounts. Of course it's not smart to wait until the last minute but this was a preventable incident, in my opinion.

I was there and I can tell you this for a fact. I was working along with my guys on Keeter's car and we drank water all day like a fish. It was hot and very dry. At the end of the day we all commented about how much we drank and how none of us pee'd more than a spoonfull all day. And it looked like strong iced tea when we did (sorry if that's too much information).

Mike was either in a firesuit, working on his car, working with B&J customers or helping Whitely all day long in the heat and no humidity. He wasn't laying in the climate controlled lounge all day with the A/C on 72 and a cold glass of whatever. For those of you back east that have never experienced or worked in soda cracker dry heat and humidity you don't have a clue what you are talking about. It takes me 1-2 days back in normal conditions drinking a lot of water just to rehydrate myself to the point where I am back on a normal pee-ing schedule. I can't believe I'm talking about this.

I was talking to Mike in his pit area on Sunday and some of his fellow racers racers came by (some with their wive's/girlfriends and all said the same thing. They would have been hard pressed to fill one vial if given the entire day to do it.

One person mentioned how he thinks the goal in the "random" testing is to seek positive results. It's based on how, in his opinion, the "random" part of the testing NEVER seems to include those certain high profile drivers that may have a reputation for partying, but always includes the same drivers over and over again that do not have that reputation.

Graham needs to ask himself if he could have pee'd a couple vials on demand last weekend. Answer: Not if he was following Mike around all day no matter how much he drank.

From the Strip at Las Vegas....

RG

Last edited:
It always amazes me how little everybody actually knows and then it turns into an NHRA bashing or something. I got "randomly" tested over 5 times last year and just got tested in Vegas last weekend.

I know it's going to suck to hear the facts but here's how it goes.

1) Once you have been randomly selected by the lab, a woman from the lab must come and personally find you to notify you and give you the paperwork. She reads to you everything on the front page to make sure that you understand and you have to initial it saying that you do. She tells you the hours they are open, what time you have to be there by the following day, where they are located and WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT THERE ON TIME. You then sign the paperwork.

2) I got mine at 12.40pm on Friday and had until 12.40pm on Saturday. The lab is open from 8am-6pm. They actually had 2 doctors doing the testing so it went a bit faster but usually there is only one. The problem is that it takes about 10-15 minutes per driver to complete the testing, so if there are 5 guys ahead of you, you could be there for an hour. That's the only part I don't like, but we all know it can happen. I went and had mine done after I ran the second qualifier on Friday while they were running Top Fuel. In and out in less than 20 minutes.

3) So, first they give you a breathalyzer to test for alcohol. Assuming you pass that they give you ONE (1) little plastic cup to pee in and you only have to fill it up about an inch or so. To give you an example if you would wait until you have to go normally, you could fill the whole cup up easily and then some. After you fill up the cup to the line that they have on there, then the Dr. transfers it into 2 (two) small vials that get labeled and initialed. And that's about it. Now, don't get me wrong, I have been there before after drinking lots of water and couldn't produce a proper sample, especially if you go after a run and are dehydrated. The difference is, I don't go at the last minute!

Think about it this way...if your boss came to you today at lunch and said you are getting drug tested and you have between now and 6pm tonight or tomorrow between 8am and noon to get to the lab and produce a urine sample or you would be laid off for a year with no pay and have to cough up $2500.00, what would you do?? Start drinking LOTS of water and get to the lab as soon as possible or at least with time to spare, right??

Just to clarify as well, the testing lab and it's policies have NOTHING to do with NHRA. They don't care if you are John Force or Joe Sportsman, if you fail a test or don't show up, you are both going to face the same consequences!

I feel sorry for Mike but if you read his story, he knows he probably should have got it done earlier. BUT AGAIN DON'T BE CONFUSED BY THE STORY THAT MENTIONS NHRA ALL THE TIME!!! This is an independent testing lab that has it's own policies and has to enforce them.

and just for a little more info, I am pretty sure they do the testing at most if not all of the events. If I was "guesstimating" from what I see, I would say that probably 50-100 drivers and NHRA officials get tested every event, so the 2 people that you have heard about over the last year having an issue are a very small percentage.

Last edited:
is the NHRA drug testing policy and the independent company that
administers it a requirement by nhra? by nhra's insurance company? both?
how many years has this testing procedure been in place?

Thanks to Randy Goodwin for a chuckle. I can't believe we're talking about this either.
As a long time Colorado resident, I can sympathize with the dry climate effects.
However, my criticism is not of the testing policy, nor of Mike.
The penalty is out of line with the infraction. Reasonable people can develop a penalty which will deter flouting the requirement while ensuring that mistakes don't wipe out years of hard work. I have some ideas on that, but don't want to turn this into a conversation about my proposals.
As for the NHRA's responsibility: they are responsible.
It was Tom Sawyer's job to whitewash the fence. He could get others to do it for him, but if it didn't get done, Aunt Polly would have been all over him like a cheap suit.
This is an opportunity for the NHRA to review the penalty process, acknowledge the need for a more enlightened approach, and make the necessary changes.
I hope so, not just for Mike Strasburg's sake, but for the sport's.
Cheers,
Ed

I feel sorry for Mike but if you read his story, he knows he probably should have got it done earlier.

Bingo! Bottom line is this, Mike is directly responsible for this unfortunate event. Now does the punishment fit the crime, that's up for debate, but Mike knew the consequences of what could happen if he waited to the last minute.

Anyone who knows Mike knows he hasn't had a drink of any alcohol in 20+ years

Wow, what a shock Curtis.... I was thinking while I'm reading this "Mike doesn't even drink or smoke or even take medication.... I was busy all weekend and didn't even take the time to see how you guys were doing, then I go on this site so I can see who's getting bashed this week and this is the first thing I see...... At first I thought it was a really bad 'April Fools Joke'.

Does the punishment fit the crime. Let's see in the world of sport:

1) Dog Fighting = 2 yrs in a Federal Prison

2) Vehicular Manslaughter = 800 Community Service hours + 1 nite in jail

3) Missed drug test = 1 year suspension

4) Positive alcohol test = 1 race suspension

Just depends who you piss off

Does the punishment fit the crime. Let's see in the world of sport:

1) Dog Fighting = 2 yrs in a Federal Prison

2) Vehicular Manslaughter = 800 Community Service hours + 1 nite in jail

3) Missed drug test = 1 year suspension

4) Positive alcohol test = 1 race suspension

Just depends who you piss off

1 and 2 are legal penalties. Vick lost more than 1 year of competition.
3 is the legal penalty (loss of license) for refusing a breathalyser in most states.
4? It is always a lesser penalty in DUI cases for failing a test than refusing to take it.

This has nothing to do with "pissing anyone off". The rules have been in effect for quite a while. And, in black in white, no questions.

If anyything, everyone should be pissed that it appears as though Allen Johnson may have got a gift:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
VI. First Positive Test Result:
Results of a first positive test will be presented to the Medical Review Officer (MRO), a licensed physician selected by the Independent Drug Program Administrator (IDPA).

A driver or official who, for the first time, tests positive for a prohibitive substance or alcohol will be notified of the test results and directed, by the Medical Review Officer (MRO) to participate in counseling and/or treatment from a substance abuse professional approved by the Medical Review Officer (MRO). The driver or official shall be required, within 7 days of such notification, to 1) report to an approved substance abuse professional for evaluation as directed, and 2) voluntarily submit to urine, blood, breath, and/or saliva testing which yields a negative test result for a prohibited substance or alcohol. Should such driver or official refuse or fail, within the time specified, to fully comply with the requirements listed above, NHRA will be notified of the verified positive result and the MRO referral to a substance abuse professional. The driver or official will then immediately be suspended from participation in any NHRA event until the requirements listed above are fully complied with. Thereafter, should the driver or official refuse or fail to participate in the directed treatment program or fail to successfully adhere to all treatment program requirements, such refusal or failure shall be reported by the Medical Review Officer (MRO) or Independent Drug Program Administrator (IDPA) to the NHRA and shall be deemed a first reported violation.

VII. First Reported Violation:
A first reported violation shall be deemed a violation of the provisions of Section I of this policy. The penalties for a first reported violation shall be:
1. Suspension from participation in any NHRA Championship Drag Racing sanctioned event and any NHRA member track event for a period of one (1) year.
2. A fine of $2,500. All fines must be paid, in full, before the privilege of participation will be reinstated

My only interpretation of this (completely a guess) is that he got the papers at some point when he'd had a beer or something, and wanted to wait as long as possible to get it out of his system.

Mike doesn't drink nor does he do drugs EVER! There's alot more to the story than what everyone is guessing at. Curtis Terry posted the story behind what happened, he's on our crew. There's also an accounting on Competition Plus website...maybe you all need to read it before all the guess work. Stuff happens....we'll get it worked out.

Results of a first positive test will be presented to the Medical Review Officer (MRO), a licensed physician selected by the Independent Drug Program Administrator (IDPA).

A driver or official who, for the first time, tests positive for a prohibitive substance or alcohol will be notified of the test results and directed, by the Medical Review Officer (MRO) to participate in counseling and/or treatment from a substance abuse professional approved by the Medical Review Officer (MRO). The driver or official shall be required, within 7 days of such notification, to 1) report to an approved substance abuse professional for evaluation as directed, and 2) voluntarily submit to urine, blood, breath, and/or saliva testing which yields a negative test result for a prohibited substance or alcohol. Should such driver or official refuse or fail, within the time specified, to fully comply with the requirements listed above, NHRA will be notified of the verified positive result and the MRO referral to a substance abuse professional. The driver or official will then immediately be suspended from participation in any NHRA event until the requirements listed above are fully complied with. Thereafter, should the driver or official refuse or fail to participate in the directed treatment program or fail to successfully adhere to all treatment program requirements, such refusal or failure shall be reported by the Medical Review Officer (MRO) or Independent Drug Program Administrator (IDPA) to the NHRA and shall be deemed a first reported violation.

Allen Johnson didn't get away with anything. If you actually took the time to READ THIS, then you would understand that after he is notified of his failed test, he has 7 days to report to a substance abuse professional and also has to submit a "clean" test. After he has done this, he is good to race again. Now if he doesn't report or has a second negative test, then and ONLY then is NHRA notified and the first offense actions take place.

GEEZ!!!

Allen Johnson didn't get away with anything. If you actually took the time to READ THIS, then you would understand that after he is notified of his failed test, he has 7 days to report to a substance abuse professional and also has to submit a "clean" test. After he has done this, he is good to race again. Now if he doesn't report or has a second negative test, then and ONLY then is NHRA notified and the first offense actions take place.

GEEZ!!!
Whoa, Jeff. I am not saying he did get a gift.

But, as I recall it, and I very well could be wrong, he was suspended for that one race, the very day it happened. NHRA may very well consider the onsite testers as substance adbuse professionals, and if so, he must have passed later that day, end of story.

Or, they may consider it a one race suspension UNLESS you dont pass or submit with in 7 days. I don't know, I wasnt in the trailer. I will defer to your experience based on the amount of times you have tested and passed.

Again, I agree with your stance on the subject. The rule is in black and white. And been in force for quite a while. NHRA is not out to "get" anyone.

Glad you get alot of time to take the test. We are under a random test. We show up to work. They say hey you were picked for a drug test be there at 3:30. You show up 1 min late it is a positive test. So I feel no sympathy for anyone who can't produce in that time frame.

If I'm correct Mr. Arend's position is that he violated the rule and enforcement of the rule is what should happen in every case. Then you would have to agree that Mr. Strasburg has no grounds for appeal of the enforcement of the rule.

This is my first post in years. I got sick of the keyboard crew-chief mentality laying down the law without a clue here. This thread is yet another great example of why I left.

Anyone who doesn't know Mike Strasburg has missed something very special. Anyone who thinks Mike would skirt any such test doesn't know Mike at all and many of you should be ashamed for your comments.

Here's another example of the NHRA and their double standards. Positive test at an event gets a major Pro Stock driver only that event suspended while single vile (which should have been split by the NHRA) gets a year? Makes you wonder what the NHRA's President Tom Compton got for driving under the influence in the middle of the night in Compton in 2003 got for his penalty? Oh, that's right. He gave himself another raise.

Now, back to keyboard crew-chief lynching of a wonderful man and valued asset to our sport.

I agree with you on this. Never did agree with you much, but I sure did miss you when you left.

Mike doesn't drink nor does he do drugs EVER! There's alot more to the story than what everyone is guessing at. Curtis Terry posted the story behind what happened, he's on our crew. There's also an accounting on Competition Plus website...maybe you all need to read it before all the guess work. Stuff happens....we'll get it worked out.

1) I said it was a complete guess, and 2) if you read my next post you'll see I admitted I was wrong and apologized. Sorry (again).

I think this is too severe. Mike has no reason to lie about it. He made himself plenty busy over the weekend and he did work with the NHRA and unless the NHRA can post a great point of view on their side of the fence, mike's side of the fense seems like it holds water. I say appeal Mike, don't hang it up due to the NHRA not working with you if you worked with them as you stated.

This is not comparable to Guidera because he just never produced any specimen. Mike did the breath test and a sample and why they need 2 samples beats me. You go to the Doc and they want a sample they can test fine on not very much at all. I'm on Mike's side

I'm hoping this is what the appeals process is for. The initial punishment is completely and totally by the book, and the appeals process allows for the nuances of the situation to be heard.

I too, hope that Mike gets the penalty reduced. Not thrown away, because he did make a pretty serious error, but this penalty does seem to be out of scope with the crime.

I am glad there are rules in place, The world would be a mess without them, BUT, A little common sense has got to be used. The sample should have been split and tested.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back